PDA

View Full Version : Bad start to a day...

MnDLawn
11-21-2009, 06:48 PM
So we get started early today doing leaf removals. We have about 2 dozen left and winter is coming fast. So I have 6 guys working today and a 5 job goal. Within the first 10 min all hell breaks loose, literally. Come to find out all the blades on the leaf loader were cracked and one had ripped away from the hub. The impeller was not even a year old, but we do use it heavily. So after about 2 hours and some welding it was back up and running. Needless to say we only got 3 jobs done.:cry:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/silvermach2002/DSC06613.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/silvermach2002/DSC06617.jpg

One of the jobs complete.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/silvermach2002/DSC06566.jpg

MnDLawn
11-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Anyone else ever have this problem?

Tharrell
11-23-2009, 06:39 PM
What loader is that on and was the new impeller "new" or reconditioned before it let loose?

MnDLawn
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
What loader is that on and was the new impeller "new" or reconditioned before it let loose?

It was on a 16hp Giant Vac. An as far as I know the impeller was new, if it was reconditioned I'm going to kick the dealers butt.

G.M.Landscaping
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I like the welding ball on your wedding ring. I remember those when I was married.:laugh:

Hopefully my giant vac never does that.

MnDLawn
11-23-2009, 06:53 PM
I like the welding ball on your wedding ring. I remember those when I was married.:laugh:.

Ya, I hate when they do that. I guess thats what I get for not wearing gloves all the time.:laugh:

TREEGUARD
11-23-2009, 09:28 PM
on my first day of clean ups this year we get to the first house start getting all the leaves out front go to cut the lawn and the blades will not engage on the stander no big deal i tell my worker to use one of the other machines for now. istart with the leaf loader & about 5 minutes in to the pile it shuts off.. i go over &take a look and thecarborater is on the ground both bolts broke off.. nice way to start

gunsworth
11-23-2009, 09:57 PM
It was on a 16hp Giant Vac. An as far as I know the impeller was new, if it was reconditioned I'm going to kick the dealers butt.

my dad had the same thing happen this year, my guess it that the house pictured is the culprit with all the rocks. upon inspecting his he had an area of the shroud worn down and a rock must have hit that area at the same time the impellar did and kaboom. good luck, those are a ***** to get on and off, need special tools and then then the insane cost of the impellar

STIHL GUY
11-23-2009, 11:29 PM
mine is fine but ill have to keep an eye on it now

2low4NH
11-24-2009, 08:12 AM
my new billygoat impeller is crazy thick i wanna say its almost 3/8's my old one was starting to fold over on the edges.

Tharrell
11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
The reason I asked about the impeller, the welds and the center part didn't look that good. I'm not a welder but, I've seen good clean welds before.
I sure would like to see a new one. Reckon you got an aftermarket product?

MnDLawn
11-24-2009, 07:30 PM
The reason I asked about the impeller, the welds and the center part didn't look that good. I'm not a welder but, I've seen good clean welds before.
I sure would like to see a new one. Reckon you got an aftermarket product?

The weld on the right in the second picture is mine, it is covering the crack that blade had. But thanks for the complement.:laugh: I bought it from a Giant Vac dealer, I hope it wasn't aftermarket. Anything is possible these days.

Tharrell
11-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I've been looking at every picture of an impeller new and old I can find.
I've noticed the welds are not uniform. On some impellers, the welds go all the way to the cone and on the next blade there may be 2 seperate welds. I wonder why that is? Sloppy or intentional?

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Make sure you get a new impeller when you can. The welds will hold it together but I'm sure it's probably out of balance now and can wreak havoc on the motor.

Then you'll be replacing a motor too, and at that point you'll probably need a new loader.