PDA

View Full Version : Raised patio question

BLC1
11-21-2009, 06:09 PM
My back sliding door leading to my patio (when it gets built) is about 4 feet above ground level. I was wondering if you just build that up with dirt and then pack the top with your stone and screening or how that may work.

shovelracer
11-21-2009, 09:21 PM
"Dirt" is not suitable material to build off of. Sort of depends on the design, but well compacted stone base is usually your best bet. Raised patios are considerably more advanced and than ground level ones.

BLC1
11-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Does anybody have any pictures of building a raised patio?

DVS Hardscaper
11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
#1. always build with crusher run aggregate (or whatever they call it where ever you live)

#2. The ground is comprised of what's called *soil*, not "DIRT". Dirt is what gets on your floor, your hands, your car, etc.

i tried to insert a pic, but the pic inserter thingie isn't workin.....

Drew Gemma
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
flowable fill is the only way to go check it out

DVS Hardscaper
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
well. you sorta, but not all the time. If you can't get a concrete truck to the patio site, or other variables are present - flowable fill is not usually a good choice. We've not countless raised patios, and not one of them has been appropriate for flowable fill.

frumdig
11-23-2009, 07:05 PM
HAHAH, lol reminds me of my soil science teacher at MSU, its not DIRT its SOIL.... always give us hell when we said dirt. but hey, its stuck and I never use the term dirt anymore when talking about 'soil' :)

Evan

DVS Hardscaper
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
HAHAH, lol reminds me of my soil science teacher at MSU, its not DIRT its SOIL.... always give us hell when we said dirt. but hey, its stuck and I never use the term dirt anymore when talking about 'soil' :)

Evan

Same with my horticulture teacher. Anytime we students would say "dirt" - smoke would come from his ears and nostrils.

I even have the 6 yr old programed to say "soil".

BLC1
11-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Do you build the outer wall and then fill that shell with the fill?

seascapes
11-23-2009, 08:42 PM
What do you want the end result to be? Its hard to say how to go about the project w/o knowing what you want to see in the end...pavers, concrete, turf, stone, or soil/dirt depending on where you did or didn't go to school. Its a whole different ball game if you looking for a raised patio. If its raised then we need to talk block probably.

DVS Hardscaper
11-23-2009, 08:55 PM
yes, build the outer wall first. We backfill and compact as we build the wall. Also, we typically do NOT place aggregate over vinyl or aluminum siding, this can rot the house walls.

Looks like I'l have to manually enter the html code to post a picture, here's a picture of a small patio we did:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/IMG_0082-1.jpg

seascapes
11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice wall! I'm not sure if he wants it to be built up like that one of if he wants to gradually slope down from the house.
Pics would be even better for us to help with this one. We have done a few raise patios in the last few weeks. They have all been about 4' high. We pour footer, put in fill and tamp, pour 4" concrete as "cap" or patio and then have my aluminum guy put a screen room on.

DVS I like that stone you used.

DVS Hardscaper
11-23-2009, 09:08 PM
here's another one completed. I have pics of it under construction, although they're not loaded on the computer.

Same thing - build the wall, backfill and compact as you go. Use geo-textile fabric. if you're building a 4-foot wall - you'll need geo-grid reinforcement. And if it's going to be really high (30" and above) check your local building codes for safety rail requirements.

The wall in the pic is probably 30-inches at the highest points. But we backfill so the height above grade well get us around safety rail requirements.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Idle-ours/Raised-Paver-Patio-2lg.jpg

Skimastr105
11-23-2009, 09:58 PM

Evan

Who was your soil prof? It's good to see another spartan on here!

BLC1
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I will try and get a couple pictures of my back yard to help out a little bit. I'll do that tonight if its not dark when I get home. I was looking at the bigger block for the outer walls. I think they are like 4x4x8 or somehwere around there. I'll try to add more info to make it easier on everybody.

Thanks

DVS Hardscaper
11-24-2009, 09:44 AM
If you post pics, please try to reduce their size so they are no larger than 800x800.

4x4x8 sounds scarey (too small). try to confirm the block sizes, name, and manufacturer.

The block in my top pic is Techo-bloc's 3" mini creta.

The block in my 2nd pic is Belgard's 90 mm (3.5") Celtik.

BLC1
11-24-2009, 05:58 PM
The block I as looking at were Belgard. I can't remember te size but I will check on that. I'm gonna look around the site now to see if there are any pictures of something similiar to what I want to put together.

BLC1
11-24-2009, 06:34 PM
I think the block is the Celtik wall by belgard and then I'm not sure on the paver yet.

frumdig
11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Who was your soil prof? It's good to see another spartan on here!

lol i shoulda specified, thatld be Mississippi State... Varco was the prof. only damn class I had to retake over my years. two semesters of 'its soil not dirt'

-Evan

Skimastr105
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Ah i see.. Michigan State here. It's all good though.

BLC1
11-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Here are some pics of the back of the house. I am not sure exactly what I want as far as layout but I think I want to build something pretty close to level with door coming out. What do you guys think about the top?? pavers, concrete or something else. Any pictures of some similar work would be nice to pull some ideas from. Thanks again guys.

Skimastr105
11-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Pavers for sure - if you have the cash for it. I would build the patio about 18 inches below the door threshold and do a small set of steps leading up to the door. Building the patio at threshold height will require a lot of retaining wall block and a lot of fill. You could build it a bit lower, and have much less money into the project, along with creating a more aesthetically pleasing product. If the patio is built at the door threshold height, it could appear out of place, when compared to a lower, perhaps terraced patio. A lower one will blend a lot better.

DVS Hardscaper
11-25-2009, 05:20 PM
the door is quite high.

yet, not too high that you can't have a paver patio.

This would be a multi level patio. With (2) steps coming out the slider with 7-inch rises. The steps would lead to one level that would be around 250 SF. This level would then lead to another level that is at or near ground level, of about 325 to 400 SF.

Materials will be costly.

Also - it appears to be a new construction. If it were me - I'd wait at least 2 years before doing anything to allow for settlement. yeah, you can excavate the overdig, backfill with compacted aggregate, yadda yadda yadda - by the time you do all that - you can build a nice deck with composit material.....

BLC1
11-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah new construction. By the time I build next spring it will be close to a year of settling. I will probably do it stages to help keep expenses from building up to quick. I think were on the same page, I was thinking 2 tiers and the ground level one having a fire pit built in the middle of it and maybe a chimney on the upper tier. These are all just ideas floating around so I will need to get some things on paper to see where to go. I imagine it will take a couple of summers but the end product should be really neat with the fire pits and I would also like to add a waterfall of some sort.