PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia Seed ??

Falcon50EX
11-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Zoysia seed has any one had any luck with starting zoysia from seed? I would like to cover some small areas and over seed in my front yard witch has Bermuda now.

Thank for any info

Think Green
11-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Check with your state extension agency or a local golf course. Chances are, if they aren't growing it from seed for their fairways, then the varieties aren't accessible. I mean, that where I am at, the varieties of zoiysia is installed by sod. It is impractical to seed as it is unavailable other than mail order. The other is the slow establishment practices to do the job of solid sodding. The Zoysia that is grown locally is completely sterile in seed production. They produce seeds, but do not germinate. It is definately better for shrubbery beds, but the rhizomes still get in there and reak havok.
Look up Seedland.com and read about their Zoysia varieties and seed products. Their site may help you better understand what you are looking for. As for us doing any seedings of zoysia grass, no--It is not a facet of seeding that we do as it takes too long for the germination and fill in time.

Falcon50EX
11-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Think Green
Thanks for the info I have plugged a lot of Z grass but thought i might try a little seed in my yard. I was thinking about overlaying some plastic to form a green house over the seed area. Just experimenting for fun.

johnsonslawnmanagement
11-22-2009, 08:01 AM
It would take 50 forevers to get established. I would sprig or plug the area with zoysia.
Posted via Mobile Device