PDA

View Full Version : Talstar vs Astro??

jws3
05-16-2002, 09:02 PM
I would like to know if anyone has first hand experience with these products. I have read the labels over and over again but can't determine which would work better for me. I would like to use it for perimeter treatments and for surface feeding insects. As far as surface feeders the sodwebworm is my main target. I know it's early for them, but I want to be ready. Talstar is more expensive but goes farther per gallon than the Astro(permethrin). I don't care about cost, I just want a good product with a good residual. I checked with my local extension office, and would have been better off asking my 8 year old daughter.

KirbysLawn
05-17-2002, 12:57 AM
I have used Talstar for years. It comes in flowable or granular which is a plus. I have two dogs, one stays out and the others stays out on weekends, neither have had a flea or tick in years.

I just started using DeltaGard and have had good results. Had a customer that had a tree being thrashed by oak worms...bare. I sprayed as high as I could, the following week when I came by the tree had leaves where I sprayed...the areas above were still bare. We ended up getting a ladder to his roof and spraying the top of the tree from there, now the tree is full and worm free.

tremor
05-17-2002, 05:50 AM
Astro is permethrin, a good fast acting, broad spectrum, yet relatively short lived early synthetic pyrethroid. Astro can be used on bearing fruit trees in the backyard. When tank mixed with Eagle fungicide, we get the fruit tree spray of choice around here. With "Rockland's Fruit Tree Spray" having lost it's label (captan), this tank mix is now more popular than ever. At the heavy rates, Astro is also used to control borers. Talstar's label lacks these two elements.

Talstar is bifenthrin (sp?) which is an advanced (read newest available) 3rd generation synthetic pyrethroid. It has the broadest label of all the SP's that includes mites at 1qt/100. It also lasts a LOT longer. 28 days would be considered normal under average conditions. When mixed as a granular with potting soil, FMC offers a warranty against soil insects! In the soil, Talstar is known to last between 5 & 6 years. But most of the SP's last longer in soil than they do on foliage. They also don't leach. Thats why we can't control grubs with them.
Products like Dragnet (same as Astro) were labeled as termiticides, but don't even come close in the real world.
Tempo & some other early SP's are known to be skin sensitizers. Talstar was chemically engineered without the molecule responsible for that phenomenon. So no skin issues.

Talstar is the one insecticide I'd want to have with me if I got stranded on a desert island & could only have one. But the language on the label is what makes these 2 insecticides almost mandatory items for the Arborists tool box. Neither label covers all the bases. But the 2 combined come very close.

Delta Gard is a fast, ultra low dose SP that made it's name in structural pest control. Due to issues with it's ability to be applied to conventional ferilizers, DeltaGard won't be displacing Talstar anytime soon in the T&O market. This is more political than agronomic. FMC lowered it's cost & the former Agrevo wouldn't. So, Talstar is going to occupy the vacuum left in Dursban's wake. It could have been DeltaGard, but FMC had the cash.

If anyone works in coastal communities, read ALL SP labels carefully for limitations that exist, especially in New York.

Lambda cyhalothrin (Scimitar & Battle) is also awesome, with the active being micro encapsulate for better residual effect. It seems that no one has gotten behind this molecule, so they enjoy only limited financial success.

Gotta go!

Steve