PDA

View Full Version : leaf rigs

XLS
11-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I am just curious of this but , when you guys began having to haul leaves say in year 1 or 2 what size containment boxes was you using? and was you mulching/bagging or did you just blow them up and use a vaccume to load them . i am just wondering how i should start my new crews out .

ALC-GregH
11-22-2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=293337&highlight=leaf+boxes

XLS
11-22-2009, 06:31 PM
ALCgregH Thank for that insite except i am looking for the regular startup setup and 98% of those on that post are where we are and that is far from startup i want to know what the 1 and 2 year guys are running to have something to go off of .

see 10+years ago here i started with a 16' trailer with 4' walls and due to the LARGE lawns around here it would be full by mid day . in other towns i see much smaller setups are being used lawn freaks got one simular to our smallest one but i want to base my decission on something besides just pics i want to hear facts from the small area inner city guys .

93Chevy
11-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I just made wooden sides for my 3/4 Chevy. I lay a tarp on the bed liner and fill it up. I can get 2-3 lawns packed in before I have to dump. Then I just tarp over and throw my equipment on top and we're good to go. Yes, it's a pain, but it's the best I can do right now. Maybe next year I'll put sides on my trailer and haul stuff that way.

XLS
11-22-2009, 06:39 PM
are these lots like 150' x150 and smaller or larger about how high is the walls when standing in the truck? and i assume you are mulching and then bagging the leaves right

93Chevy
11-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, the lots are pretty small, 1/4-1/2 acre at most. If there's a lot of leaves, I'll blow them to the curb and tarp load them into the truck. I have wooden ramps I made for getting my 21" in the back of the truck that I walk up so I don't have to keep jumping on the tailgate. If the leaves aren't that bad, I'll bag them with the 21." Here's a pic of the truck.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs204.snc1/7121_518478239802_151101669_30817022_1747712_n.jpg

XLS
11-22-2009, 06:46 PM
thanks man this type info is what i am looking for . do you have a pic of your setup or your ramp?

XLS
11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
if you dont mind . when you blow them to the curb how do you get them on the tarp ? just rake them . we have never needed tarps so i have never seen this process.

93Chevy
11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't have a pic of the leaf setup, but here's my lawn setup. Same idea though. You can see the ramps. I put 1 1/2" staples at intervals on the 2x6 so I have traction. I bought a 16' trailer this past summer and next spring I'll have a 48" WB or ZTR. Anyway, For the tarp, I just rake them onto the tarp and carry it up the truck.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=147179&stc=1&d=1241581019

XLS
11-22-2009, 08:19 PM
ok ill ask you but i am not bashing on you do you ever have the ramps fall ? they look like a regular 2x6 with i guess a metal end how do you get them to stay on the truck ? do you just lay them up there . do they seem safe to you .

I see your at a storage location ... do you store the equipment there we use them this way is why i ask .
how many years have you been mowing ? and when did you know you was upgrading to bigger how many of these 1/4-1/2 acres do you cut a week .

XLS
11-22-2009, 08:21 PM
i thank you for your info i am finding it a big help . would you belive a 3/4" piece of plywood 32" wide work the same way as your 2x6?

93Chevy
11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
ok ill ask you but i am not bashing on you do you ever have the ramps fall ? they look like a regular 2x6 with i guess a metal end how do you get them to stay on the truck ? do you just lay them up there . do they seem safe to you .

I see your at a storage location ... do you store the equipment there we use them this way is why i ask .
how many years have you been mowing ? and when did you know you was upgrading to bigger how many of these 1/4-1/2 acres do you cut a week .

1. No, the ramps never fell. I fell once, but that's of no fault of the ramps.
2. Yes, a regular 2x8 metal ramp end is at the end. I could have used 2x8 instead of 2x6 planks, but that's more weight than I want to handle regularly. Whenever I get my hands on an angle grinder, I'll shave the excess metal off to width.
3. They stay on the truck via the aforementioned ramp ends.
4. Yes, they are very safe. I wouldn't run a WB or something like that because of the weight, but they're fine for a 21" and other small equipment.
5. Yes, I store my equipment and tools at the storage unit.
6. I've been mowing for myself for 2 seasons. I also work fulltime for a local landscaper and I'm a full time student in the fall in spring. I should graduate college this coming spring.
7. I cut about 7 lawns a week. My main income is from light landscape install work. The mowing money is just steady income to pay the bills. I'd rather be installing landscapes.

93Chevy
11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
i thank you for your info i am finding it a big help . would you belive a 3/4" piece of plywood 32" wide work the same way as your 2x6?

You mean as a ramp, or for the sides?

For the sides (I assume), yes. I'm not that good with ripping long cuts on a circular saw. A table saw will give you a perfect straight line. With the 2x6, they were the exact length I wanted and all I had to do was line them up and screw them in. With the plywood, it may be harder to line up. But the overall product will be the same.

And if you're curious, I left the gaps at the bottom so I could lift them out of the stake pockets from the ground.

XLS
11-22-2009, 08:51 PM
yeah sorry i was referring to the truck side boards . i assumed yours was about 30" or so high man you have been a big help , thanks alot . I have never needed to be small and now that i do i dont have any basic princapals to work with . using the pushmower and only mowing could you see yourself making good money as a full time job . anyone else with info please comment too .

93Chevy
11-22-2009, 08:55 PM
yeah sorry i was referring to the truck side boards . i assumed yours was about 30" or so high man you have been a big help , thanks alot . I have never needed to be small and now that i do i dont have any basic princapals to work with . using the pushmower and only mowing could you see yourself making good money as a full time job . anyone else with info please comment too .

I hate push mowing, but I'm trying to grow slowly until I go full time. I suppose if it didn't make you raging mad to push mow (or even self propelled), it's possible to make money. Just get a nice commercial mower.

XLS
11-22-2009, 09:04 PM
well i am planning to open 15 locations up with a 2 pushmowers crew and as soon as the crew can say the size of lawns they average we will upgrade to fit their needs .we will target small properties and hope 44" walks are as big as they get i need a ultra low startup cost to ease the transition into the new locations . In the past we just bought a walker and off they went now the ecconomy is down and to keep our rates and sells numbers up the lawns are shrinking in footage plus a $24k investment is out when they can go for $$4 to 6 k per location as a startup cost . how to do small lawns leaf cleanups cheap was the last thing i needed help on . can you work all day on your trucks capacity doing leaf cleanups or do you make multiple trips ?

XLS
11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
or do you try and get all 7 done in your day . i seen you said 2 or 3 lawns a load is that 2 or 3 lawns your days work or do you run and unload and go do more

93Chevy
11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Basically, I could probably do 7 in a day by myself, but I have them split up. 1 place has a site to dump, 1 has 0 leaves, and the rest, if properly kept up with, I could probably fit 5 in my truck. At that point, I would haul along my trailer for the equipment. Only 1 property I have has 2 60' sugar maples. The rest are under 40' and drop at slow intervals.

XLS
11-22-2009, 09:25 PM
thanks for the info helps me out alot . when doing cleanups on the ones you say you bag , do you just bag them and dump or do you mulch then up first then bag for the most part

XLS
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
on these lawns can i ask what your cheapest and highest price lawns run to get an average for billing man houror bythe job to be sure i am close

STIHL GUY
11-22-2009, 10:11 PM
i built a leafbox for the ranger and last year just used a tarp tp load leaves after mulching them with the mower. now i use a 16HP leaf vac

XLS
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
hey you are a person to talk to . do you still use the 5x8 trailer ? how big are the average lawns you mow with the ransom the average time to cut if you know?
did you have walls on your truck for the debris what does your current leaf setup look like . i know we will get to loaders on these business locations just i am not sure of the amount of debris they will have in year 1 so i am thinking let the fall cleanup investment stay small as long as it can .

XLS
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
would a 5x 8 trailer with 6.5 ' walls be large enough as a containment system for a 2 man crew mowing with a set of push mowers up to say 36" hydro walks if they mulch then bag? on say 15 lawns a day up to 20k in size if not what size would be needed to get through the day before dumping

XLS
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
all i know to base this on is a much larger scale then 36" units

XLS
11-22-2009, 10:35 PM
when i set these guys up i really want it to last 2 or 3 years before upgrading things like the leaf box ,truck , the primary mowers, trying to get it right the irst time .