PDA

View Full Version : Granular herbicide via root uptake

bbpropmaint
11-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi guys been doing my apps the traditional way ie pre em /blanket apps, but someone told me that there is a post emergent granular product that kills weeds through root uptake :confused: nay one ever here of such a product..It would be great if there were...anyone????????

rcreech
11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi guys been doing my apps the traditional way ie pre em /blanket apps, but someone told me that there is a post emergent granular product that kills weeds through root uptake :confused: nay one ever here of such a product..It would be great if there were...anyone????????

What are you asking for?

Are you asking for a product that is taken up by the roots and kills the plant...or are you asking for a product that translocates into the roots?

As far a product/kill...you have to know two very important things.

1) Plant biology/life cycle
2) Herbicides and their mode of action

If you are trying to kill a certian weed/plant...why do you really care how it dies?

You are just asking a very gereral question and I am not sure what you are asking or looking for.

grassman177
11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
i think he is talking about granular fert with like broadleaf tahtonce watered in kills the weeds. i have seen ads for it but never tried. i knw there are some who use this method but uncommon as far as i know. i think they had Confront herbicide in granular form that was suppposed to do this!?

CHARLES CUE
11-22-2009, 08:55 PM
i think they had Confront herbicide in granular form that was suppposed to do this!?

I was reading the lable on a lebanon fertlizer that had confront in it said it was labled for lawns i dont think it it was translocated through the roots it said for best results apply when grass was wet and not to water for 24 hours
Charles Cue

grassman177
11-22-2009, 10:05 PM
i was not sure as i have never looked into it , but thanks charles for clarifying for this guy and me for that matter.

greendoctor
11-23-2009, 12:42 AM
The clopyralid in Confront is very active in the soil, considering it is related to Tordon. Another possibility is granules containing the equivalent of 1/2 lb of Banvel. However, with that formulation I cannot promise trees in the lawn or shrubs near the lawn would be safe. I know there is an Anderson's product called K-O-G, that is granular Banvel. Just checked the label and there is a specific prohibition against using this product under trees and shrubs. I would also be afraid to use this uphill or upstream of any trees and shrubs as well.

My preferred weed controls are sprays that target the weeds, applied with precision and with the intent of total coverage. Granules do not give me the same level of confidence.

turf hokie
11-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Keep in mind Clopyralid does not have a residential label and WILL damage smaller trees and shrubs.

Are you trying to circumvent notification laws with granular? or not licensed and can't find a good liquid?

As greendoctor said, granular results will not be satisfactory and use more chemical than is necessary.

rcreech
11-23-2009, 06:37 AM
That is why I was asking my questions!

Why does it matter how the plant goes out?

If you are truely getting control from the roots...granular would be more of a preference as you would want it down in the "root zone", unless he is talking about a systemic product that translocates to the roots.

I just don't know what this guy is asking for. Why would you specify how you want the plant to die? You just want it DEAD...so who cares!

Guess I am confused on what he is asking for!

bbpropmaint
11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Sorry for the confusion fellas! I am licensed and insured , i have a tank but i am looking for a easier way to kill specifically broad leaf (large areas)... my question is does anyone know of a product, not one that translocates through the foliage but that works through being watered in to the root system and attacks only weeds..??? sorry for the confusion..Thanks again guys, always a big help

lilmarvin4064
11-23-2009, 02:29 PM

There's a new product out there called LockUp. They have it in a "weed n feed" and is supposed to work better than most older traditional "weed n feeds". Active ingredient is called penoxalum (ALS inhibitor) and is systemic absorbed via leaves, shoots and roots, then translocates. It has up to a 6 week residual. Its supposed to control nutsedge, kylinga, ground ivy, oxalis, clover and virginia buttonweed well.

The only downside is that Tall Fescue and Rye are not very tolerant of high rates of penoxsulam. For those, you should use a product with less penoxsulam that and is also mixed with 2,4-d and dicamba (LockUp Extra2).
LockUp is ideally a WnF for bermuda and zoysia and maybe bluegrass.

I have not tried this stuff yet myself, but a friend of mine caused some major discoloration and "streaking" on his fescue lawn using the 0.03% Penoxsulam granular.