PDA

View Full Version : [B]Overall best trimmer string?[/B]

MeanGreenGuy
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Whats the best overall trimmer string diameter lol
dumb question hu
Someone will give me an honest asnwere.
Found someone selling the 1lb spools for cheap.
Figured there is a reason for it.
Thanks in advance

MikeKle
11-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I have always used .095, it works great! I used to buy the Stihl lime green colored X-line, but it was $30. for a 3lb spool! I saw a orange colored star shaped line at home depot in 3lb. spool for $10. and went with that, and it works just as good or better than the Stihl line! Basically I think trimmer line is trimmer line no matter what brand it is. Its all plastic or nylon. Plus Ive tried many different types over the years and Ive noticed they are all pretty much the same, they all last about the same amount of time too. Ive never come across a brand or type that is any better than any other? But I will never use round line, it just doesnt cut worth a damn, and gets tangled up too easily.

gunsworth
11-22-2009, 09:44 PM
.095 oregon braided with the aramid core, period. I have tried everything and this stuff blows it all away. pricey but worth it. lasts longer, doesnt split, cuts clean and requires less throttle.... was around $55 or so for a 5lb spool.

I highly disagree with most lines being the same.

Next to this I prefered crossfire, bit it split and didnt last long enough.

round is worthless, doesnt cut and binds up

square doesnt last, splits and grabs to much, which in turn throws more at you and leaves an uneven cut

4 seasons lawn&land
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM
try the red max twizzler looking stuff. Lasts twice as long as the regular stuff.

unkownfl
11-22-2009, 10:16 PM
It really depends on what you use it for.
I use .095 Because I need it to be tough enough for wood fences but also be able to flex to get between the pic-its.

mowerbrad
11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
.095 Oregon Gator line. Best stuff I have tried.

grassman177
11-22-2009, 10:57 PM
it is pickets, not pic-its. ahha sorry, had to no offense!

we are using ultra twist and jsut went to 105 and 130 size as we had no other choice. we got it discounted and it might even be discontinued which would suck!

we purchased a huge stock of like 15 5 lb spools and i think we are gong to stock up on more.

it cuts like no ones business and less drag for more power to the head, but it is not very tough.

STIHL GUY
11-22-2009, 11:08 PM
i use .105 string for my trimmer. i dont think the brand really matters but i have stihl

Richard Martin
11-23-2009, 04:17 AM
I use 2 different kinds. I use my Shindaiwa for everyday lawns that have a normal weeks growth on them or tender grass. I use .080 round on that trimmer because it will do the job and isn't too hard on a tree trunk if I should accidentially hit it. I use my Stihl FS80 when the trimming gets tough or I'm cutting a Bahia lawn. The Stihl gets an aggressive .095 line whether it's Echo CrossFire or what I'm currently using, Gatorline SuperTwist Magnum.

topsites
11-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Well it's this plastic string of sorts that they sell on spools or rolls,
it comes in all the various different sizes and shapes and colors, supposedly
this all makes a difference so you buy whichever looks good or the one that
you think will work best or maybe price is a matter, some folks prefer to combine
the specifications to reach some kind of a decision even if the entire affair leaves
them feeling a bit perplexed or utterly confused.

Anyhow, so after you pay for it and take it home then you wind it on the spool of the trimmer, works great, good stuff, this.

Honestly?
The only thing to remember is that trimmer string is sold by WEIGHT.

Sammy
11-23-2009, 06:49 AM
.095 CrossFire in my Stihl trimmers.

XLS
11-23-2009, 10:30 AM
husquvarna.095(star) for regular properties and .155 in cematery's to stop having to reload spools on them on 223 and 323L husqvarna trimmers

XLS
11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
The .155 will eat a chain-link fence up like candy its .095 for best results i have a few guys with .065 and .080 in the 223 and they are to small to last long .

S L C
11-23-2009, 11:34 AM
try the red max twizzler looking stuff. Lasts twice as long as the regular stuff.

Much agree with you on this one... in the last couple of years, I tried probably 6 different ones, until I bought the Redmax....... lasts a LOT longer, doesn't split, and has a unique sound to it too (not that it matters, just saying....) :drinkup::drinkup:

MikeKle
11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
What kind of trimmer are you guys using the .130 and .155 in? The last time I tried this stuff, my trimmer bogged down too much and it was a redmax BCZ27!!

pugs
11-23-2009, 12:22 PM
I really like the stuff we use around the shop. I have sold some to people that trim/mow open lots with lots of weeds. Its pricey but its worth it. Its .099 Oregon FlexiBlade. It is some nasty stuff.

It is tough to get into some Trimmer heads though. Tanaka 5" head is no problem but I have an old Echo I fixed up for myself and it just had no part of going into that head.

I was just looking in the Oregon book and it actually has a warning to keep it away from trees and concrete as it could damage them LOL.

fiveoboy01
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
.095 CrossFire in my Stihl trimmers.

Same here, it's what I started with. Last year we tried a slightly larger diameter, flourescent yellow Stihl line and I hated it, my brother liked it. So we spool up two different kinds of line now haha.

Really it's subjective. Trimmer line is cheap, buy a few small spools and see what works best for you.

XLS
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
168726they are running them on the 223 and 323L husquvarna . dealer said he wont warentee the units because it isnt designed for the units. The crews use it on regularly maintained cemateries only it will bog if you go cutting high weeds and things as well but you could rub a head stone for a week and it will still be there

Pistol
11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
I am new to all of this and am running a Shakespeare Titanium .105 (square) product on my Stihl FS-90R. It doesn't list a weight, but what I buy is 216 ft for $14. I'm probably paying too much, but haven't tried any others. I will look into some of the ones mentioned here.

XLS
11-23-2009, 09:09 PM
we buy those little rolls at $6.00 each and get like 12 at a time

malblackbelt05
11-23-2009, 09:34 PM
+1 to the Oregon Gator line with Aramid core

lawnboy dan
11-24-2009, 06:30 PM
just dont buy husky ti line! its worthless.arnold extreme is the best i have used

bobcat48
11-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I like the echo cross fire.

fobaum
11-24-2009, 07:59 PM
+3 to the Oregon Magnum Gator line with Aramid core square round twist. It last longer than any other line on the market period..and the square line is not a perfect square, 2 of the corners diagonally are round I guess so it doesn't grab to bad ? next I'm trying the twist!

wallygator
11-24-2009, 08:52 PM
It mostly depends on what you are trimming around. if you are trimming around mail boxes, landscape beds etc. almost anything will work. if you have alot of chain link fence that is something else. I have alot of properties that have chain link fence and i use the gator line that is reinforced with a steel thread. it is very pricey, but it goes and goes and goes. i've trimmed all day with the same 2 pieces of line against chain link fence. the line size is .155 and you need a rapid load head to handle it. a 5# spool is around $80.

XLS
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
wallygator what brand trimmer are you using to need a rapid load head ?? we use the factory type head on husqvarna's they holds about 28' of .095 and it works just as easy with the .155. I take it a rapid load head is one of the ones you just stick precut line in ???

XLS
11-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Lawnboy Dan what is husuvarna ti line????

grassman177
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
i have a ? for u all using gator super twist. is it basically a square line that has been twisted? if so, then it is the same as the ultra twist we use by shakespeare that wehave been informed might be cancelled and we have grabbed all we could find at the wholesalers we know of. my only compaint was that it was not too strong and maybe the gator is better from a strength standpoint. thanks

Richard Martin
11-25-2009, 05:38 AM
i have a ? for u all using gator super twist. is it basically a square line that has been twisted?
my only compaint was that it was not too strong and maybe the gator is better from a strength standpoint. thanks

It's more of a 4 leaf clover shape that's been twisted. It also has a aramid fiber core that helps keep it from breaking off.

punt66
11-25-2009, 07:22 AM
just dont buy husky ti line! its worthless.arnold extreme is the best i have used

Alright! Another person found my secret. With out a doubt, extreme titanium is the best line made. I can go all season on a $12 spool. The stuff lasts forever.

XLS
11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
ok now i know what his ti was ...... is that the Gray line that husqvarna puts in all their heads when they ship to the dealers?

wallygator
11-25-2009, 11:10 PM
XLS,
the trimmer i use is a echo. SR-210. I just got tired of trying to re-wind the string. i tried for a week to reload the head. i got very angry, then i remembered that when i worked on a private golf course they changed the heads to the rapid load. yes the rapid load head is the one that you stick precut pieces into. Just the .155 line, you don't have to do that very often. i bought a spool last year, i finished this year with it, and possibly next year too.

grassman177
11-25-2009, 11:25 PM
how about the desert vortex SCORPION type of trimer line? anyone use it? looks interesting and they claim to have a super clean cut! i wrote them for a sample, but thought i would mention it on this thread. thanks

MeanGreenGuy
11-25-2009, 11:36 PM
how about the desert vortex SCORPION type of trimer line? anyone use it? looks interesting and they claim to have a super clean cut! i wrote them for a sample, but thought i would mention it on this thread. thanks

So many types of string lol
holy smokes...*trucewhiteflag*

grassman177
11-26-2009, 01:22 AM
i know, technical huh

XLS
11-27-2009, 06:38 PM
for the money i prefer the plain old .095 by husqvarna star 5 lbs spool for $50.00