PDA

View Full Version : Webpages

unkownfl
11-22-2009, 09:50 PM
How much did you guys spend on getting web pages? How much does it cost to keep it up and everything? Who did you guys go through to have it done? Did you buy the domain from someone else before hand? Just trying to find a way to get this done.

Ruben Rocha
11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
The first question you need to ask yourself is:
What do you intend to do with the web site.
To many options to even consider with your question.
For the basics:
You need to register a name. Meaning www.mysite.com
That can cost around $20 per year.
Then you need a host provider to place your web pages on.
Basic $5 to $25 per month.
If you want to do anything special such as ecommerce then the price goes up from there.

All of the options can be done with your host provider if they provide all the items you want.
Some people opt for a separate host to store the web pages a separate registrar for the domain name. Then If you want to pay someone to maintain your web pages that would be another cost.

For me I spend about $170 per year but I do everything myself
That also includes software I use that I renew every year.

unkownfl
11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm basically just looking to show a few photos and contact information and a list of areas I cover or maybe even a map. I want to setup a really easy to remember .com should I secure it by buying from go daddy or something like that. Will that insure that I have the rights to use it? Basically my number is a weird number and sorta is out of the flow for the area I am in, but I have a lot of clients that know it and have invested in other products that already have it printed on.

Ruben Rocha
11-23-2009, 06:17 PM
You can try http://www.lunarpages.com/basic-hosting/
I am extremely happy with them.
When you sign up you can elect a new domain name and check to see if it is already taken. They will handle the name registration for you if you wish. I would say if this is your first site that would be the way to go.
You still will need to have somebody build your web pages. I think they do it for you now for a price but you may be better off finding a local person for that part.

Big C
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Check out Yahoo small business....it is a one stop shop to get everything done in one place at one time.....that's who I used....no complaints. I pay $10 per month..

Landscape Poet
11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
How much did you guys spend on getting web pages? How much does it cost to keep it up and everything? Who did you guys go through to have it done? Did you buy the domain from someone else before hand? Just trying to find a way to get this done.

If you are thinking about using this to get traffic from your business, the adds are what cost you money. Like google for example - when someone searches lawn care for your area, you have it set up to throw your add up in the results and a little box on the right with a link to your page. This is were it gets expensive because everytime they click on it, it will cost you x amount. You can set a certain dollar amount per day.
So a website is nice but not always a cheap way to get business.

If you are just wanting something to throw up so people can check you out from flyers/business cards etc, then it is really cheap.

hackitdown
11-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I also use Yahoo small business. It is very easy, and it include domain name registration, email, and all the tools to DIY.

I use Google Adwords to advertise online, and get a little traffic.

Blademasters Lawn Care
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Can you give me your website address. I would like to check out your site to get an idea of what a Yahoo site looks like.

Thanks

Blademasters

unkownfl
11-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah I would too