PDA

View Full Version : No I aint workin Thangsgiving

JB1
11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Just like all the other holidays we are not workin, takin 4 days off and enjoying the holiday.

Hanau
11-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm going to clean some equipment, work on the books, have dinner at Denny's. Maybe visit my daughter. Standby for plow action. Going to give my guys the day off from being on call, unless we get dumped on. Then it's all hands on deck.

ALC-GregH
11-22-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm hitting up black Friday. :) Work on turkey day? Your nuts. :D

Hanau
11-22-2009, 11:50 PM
If we get snow everybody is working.

My guys were pissed Dec 25 last year when I was banging on their doors at 2am. Thought they could get out of plowing by not answering the phone.

They were mistaken.

JB1
11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
we are going out of town for a couple of days, mini vacation.

W.L.M.
11-22-2009, 11:58 PM
I am working monday and then I am finished until snow season.

ACA L&L
11-23-2009, 12:35 AM
we are working friday........i will do everything i can toavoid that but we are way behind on cleanups.......i would rather it snow, then it would only be me and my landscape foreman out plowing and salting......and we would make about 20 times more money!!!oh please snow 3 " for the love of turkey.

Yater
11-23-2009, 12:49 AM

My guys were pissed Dec 25 last year when I was banging on their doors at 2am. Thought they could get out of plowing by not answering the phone.

They were mistaken.

Meh...those make for good memories. Hunched over the truck heater at 4am xmas morning with an x-large coffee sounds alright to me...especially if the mother-in-law stays at home.

Hanau
11-23-2009, 01:08 AM
I think the wives were more pissed off than anything. It was a decent blow and we were out a little over 18 hours.

PLS-Tx
11-23-2009, 01:19 AM
4 day break for us.

No break for the fish.

I will let someone else fight over junk at the mall, :dizzy: I'm going fishing. :)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-23-2009, 01:29 AM

They were mistaken.

Thats the problem with plowing - it snows, you plow. Period. No going out of town to visit relatives or anything. No thanks.

Season's done here, plenty of time to enjoy TDay with family:)

LouisianaLawnboy
11-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Definitely not working Thursday, but depending on the sales I might be the crazies out on Friday.

Can't wait for that Cajun food this Thursday.

DJ'sLawnCareSvc
11-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Down here there aint much but cleanups left to do anyways, grass done finally slacked off to nothing but commercial cuts once a month

Richard Martin
11-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Not working on Thursday.

We're having...

Turkey
Ham
Mashed Potatos
Stuffing
Potato Stuffing
Jellied Cranberrys
Gravy
Deviled Eggs
Fresh Baked Rolls and Butter
Green Bean Salad
Corn
Brussel Sprouts
Various Desserts
Cheese And Crackers
Summer Sausage

This is for 5 adults and 2 kids.

Nosmo
11-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Nope, I won't be working - except maybe doing something for myself that day.

Richard -- give me directions to your house -- just kiddin'. Don't overeat. :)

Nosmo

Richard Martin
11-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Richard -- give me directions to your house -- just kiddin'. Don't overeat. :)

Bring it on. We have more than enough to share.

jvanvliet
11-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Leaving Thursday morning & taking the wife and family down to KEY WEST... our older boy (just back from Iraq) is getting married Saturday @ Fort Zachary Taylor with full military pomp and circumstance. Be back Monday no doubt a little FUBARED from the revelry, ready to sweat and cut grass.

Ahhhh yes Key West, where a man even of moderate means can live like a QUEEN!

Bwaaa ha ha ha.....

Premier landscaping south
11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
4 day break for us.

No break for the fish.

I will let someone else fight over junk at the mall, :dizzy: I'm going fishing. :)

Same here. I'm going to take some family members out on Lake Hartwell to fish for some Stripers.

Can't wait.

green grass lawn care
11-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm hitting up black Friday. :) Work on turkey day? Your nuts. :D

wow... black friday, you are a brave man. the one and only time i went i was miserable. but we did get some good deals. but i am done by wednesday. all weeks accts squeezed into three days ugh. :weightlifter: well gotta go adn get started. vince

ALC-GregH
11-23-2009, 09:11 AM
wow... black Friday, you are a brave man. the one and only time i went i was miserable. but we did get some good deals. but i am done by Wednesday. all weeks accts squeezed into three days ugh. :weightlifter: well gotta go and get started. Vince

I like a challenge! :D

clinicalengineer
11-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I have 2 more accounts to finish this week and I plan on spending the Thursday into black Friday morning giving the shopping campers:sleeping: a little wake up call:laugh:. NOTHING LIKE 152 DB OF TRAINHORN going past the tents and sleeping bags!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Runner
11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I'll probably work again. Since I have no family, and no friends ever invite me over or anything, I may treat myself to Bob Evans for dinner, or perhaps just open a can of soup. Boy, I can hardly wait till Christmas...

Hanau
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Runner, don't feel bad. I'm a lonely ******* too.

LouisianaLawnboy
11-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I'll probably work again. Since I have no family, and no friends ever invite me over or anything, I may treat myself to Bob Evans for dinner, or perhaps just open a can of soup. Boy, I can hardly wait till Christmas...

Sounds like a country song.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
11-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I just have one more clean-up to do on Saterday. One of the guys on my Fire Dept. called me today and asked if I could help him out this weekend getting all his leaves picked up. So him and I will get his lawn cleaned up that afternoon.

Even though I work on most other holidays during the regular mowing season, I will NEVER work on thanksgiving or Black Friday. I like to at least give myself a little break during the year. And we always have thanksgiving with our family every year, so my day already has something going on.

Scagmower48
11-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Wednesday is my last day of work that involve the mowers and blowers, so either late wednesday or thanksgiving morning I'll break out the Purple Power and give my mowers, blowers and trimmers a good cleaning till they are like new. I still have a small trimming job to do after thanksgiving that only involve a hedgetrimmer and a chainsaw.

AndyTblc
11-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Thats so sad.

I hope I'm plowing snow thanksgiving, I can't tell you how bad I want to plow snow. We may be having some family drama, to make a long story short...my cousins divorce isn't even close to being final, and he already has another girl friend, and he things he's bringing her, but my family and another uncle does not want her to be at thanksgiving. So I don't want to be around. Oh well.
So Runner, how about I meet you at Bob Evans.....lol

Runner
11-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Aww, You'll be busy plowing snow and I'll be busy doing leaves. lol

ALC-GregH
11-23-2009, 07:59 PM
hey Runner, your more then welcome to stop by and have dinner at my place. We'll have 15 or so people over for Thanksgiving, one more won't hurt. :)

Landscape Poet
11-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Runner - find the nearest strip club and curl up next to something warm. Make sure you bath yourself in some pesticides afterwards to get rid of the cooties.

I should be done with all my accounts by Wed. and be able to take the four day. Got family coming into town from out of state, so will more than likely be heading to Disney and the Beach. Did I ever mention how much a FL landscaper that is in the sun all day enjoys going to the beach on his day off to sit in more sun?

Hanau
11-23-2009, 09:14 PM
When I was at the grocery store they had a sale on those frozen pies you bake in the oven. Also grabbed some Stove Top stuffing, instant gravy, and a couple trays of turkey slices. Went to Costco and got some of those plastic food container things with the divider in them.

Figure I'll make up a few meals and take em around to old folks I know that are alone. Drop off some pies at the homeless shelter. Stuff like that.

It's mighty ambitious. To be honest I'm not even sure if my oven works. I've never used it.

It is the thought that counts right? Incase my pies come out black on the outside and frozen in the middle.

LouisianaLawnboy
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
I should be done with all my accounts by Wed. and be able to take the four day. Got family coming into town from out of state, so will more than likely be heading to Disney and the Beach. Did I ever mention how much a FL landscaper that is in the sun all day enjoys going to the beach on his day off to sit in more sun?

Ya'll have sunshine? Every time I've been to FL it has rained.

Landscape Poet
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Ya'll have sunshine? Every time I've been to FL it has rained.

Been really dry recently - some sun in-between the the clouds. Does not matter how much sun we get, it is the UV that matters. Two Thanksgivings ago went to the beach with family. Nice day in the mid 70's. We all fell asleep. Woke up red as hell.
They are calling for rain Tuesday. But it will not be the first time the weather guy was wrong done here.

What the weather like up in Louisiana like right now? Do you guys cut back to every other week now?

Landscape Poet
11-23-2009, 09:28 PM
When I was at the grocery store they had a sale on those frozen pies you bake in the oven. Also grabbed some Stove Top stuffing, instant gravy, and a couple trays of turkey slices. Went to Costco and got some of those plastic food container things with the divider in them.

Figure I'll make up a few meals and take em around to old folks I know that are alone. Drop off some pies at the homeless shelter. Stuff like that.

It's mighty ambitious. To be honest I'm not even sure if my oven works. I've never used it.

It is the thought that counts right? Incase my pies come out black on the outside and frozen in the middle.

Hanau - just do not give them food poison!!!:cry: I do not want to read in the paper on Friday how a landscaper poisoned a group of people:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LouisianaLawnboy
11-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Been really dry recently - some sun in-between the the clouds. Does not matter how much sun we get, it is the UV that matters. Two Thanksgivings ago went to the beach with family. Nice day in the mid 70's. We all fell asleep. Woke up red as hell.
They are calling for rain Tuesday. But it will not be the first time the weather guy was wrong done here.

What the weather like up in Louisiana like right now? Do you guys cut back to every other week now?

Supposed to rain tomorrow here too.

Yes started cutting bi-weekly two weeks ago and now am going to monthly until February. The temps here are crazy though, could be 40 one day and 80 the next. Hopefully we will get some cool weather.

Hanau
11-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Mikey.

Some people. Sheesh.

LouisianaLawnboy
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM

Some people. Sheesh.

Order some already cooked pies.

FYI when it gets hot inside the oven that means its ON.

Landscape Poet
11-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Some people. Sheesh.

Just saying....you said your not even sure if your oven works....you trying to cook could be like joey homeowner trying to apply fert.....magic eight ball says "OUTCOME NOT GOOD" ...LOL :laugh:

Landscape Poet
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Supposed to rain tomorrow here too.

Yes started cutting bi-weekly two weeks ago and now am going to monthly until February. The temps here are crazy though, could be 40 one day and 80 the next. Hopefully we will get some cool weather.

Monthly already? I figured you guys would be cutting every other week for awhile.
I hear you are the crazy stuff though, during "winter" here, you wake up and it is in the mid to low 50's. By noon it is in the mid 70's and you are sweating balls..

LouisianaLawnboy
11-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Monthly already? I figured you guys would be cutting every other week for awhile.
I hear you are the crazy stuff though, during "winter" here, you wake up and it is in the mid to low 50's. By noon it is in the mid 70's and you are sweating balls..

Some do biweekly rest of the year, but I have trouble cutting biweekly now.