PDA

View Full Version : New Start-Up Midwest

hefcat
11-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi, I just joined the site and have been reading many of the postings in this section of the forum but have a few questions of my own.

I am planning on starting up a mowing service on residential homes next spring. Has anyone ever taken a survey on what prices people would be willing to pay for certain services? or is that a dumb idea? Also if I am starting in the spring when is the best time to start advertising?

Next, I have no equipment and am looking to get most of it used. I plan on buying a used diesel truck, some-type of riding mower and a utility trailer. Is there any other equipment that I will need or should I be looking to buy a specific mower?

I am also going to need some type of invoicing software what do you guys use?

I am planning on starting this myself and maybe with one friend everything we buy will be paid for with cash no loans. If there are any other pointers or tips that you can give let me know. If there are any general info books that I should pick up let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Even Cut Lawn Care
11-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey,
Im a few hours south of you and have a couple of good used mowers and possibly a trailer for sale. if you want to feel free to give me a call at 417-293-7058

Matt

TNT Lawn Maintenance
11-23-2009, 05:08 PM
For equipment I would also get a string trimmer and blower for starters.

I would advise you not to buy ANY of your equipment from home depot, lowes, etc because it wont stand up to the amount of use you will put it through if your doing this full time.

For invoices I just use a template that i customized for microsoft word, it looks just as nice as if you spend hundreds on a program. Also, do not underbid yourself because that will cost you money and your business will end up going down the shitter because you wnt be making any money