PDA

View Full Version : Broke a cars window while on the job!

orlawncaresvc
11-23-2009, 12:27 AM
I broke a cars window with my string trimmer once. the trimmer caught a rock and just shot it directly at the window. Any of you out there ever break any thing while working? And oh, yes I had to pay for it.

PLS-Tx
11-23-2009, 01:19 AM
We have broke several through the years.

I have even broke two of my own truck windows. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

DJ'sLawnCareSvc
11-23-2009, 01:43 AM
We broke a screen door window about a month ago- luckily the guy was cool and accepted a few free cuts as retribution

topsites
11-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Ask me how I learned to throttle down when I'm getting closer to an object.

TREEGUARD
11-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Every year we break at least 2 windows. It happens. Most of the time it's the screen door but every now & then it might be a car or another window on the house. The only thing you can do is apoligize & pay for it...

MarcSmith
11-23-2009, 07:55 AM
better to break a window or rip a screen than a human body...

Gotta keep a sharp eye out for stuff laying in the grass. its particularly hard this time of year with the leaves on the ground..

slow down and make sure your deflectors are in place...

White Gardens
11-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Ask me how I learned to throttle down when I'm getting closer to an object.

Ya, that's great in theory. But like Communism, in theory it works, just never works out that way.

Being careful, I was trimming around a light post next to a driveway. Half throttle and a car directly behind me.

There must have been a piece of pea gravel or something, because I was trimming and all the sudden I heard a loud "thud" of a car window breaking.

I don't know how it happened only because the car was behind me, the guard was on the trimmer and I must have grabbed it with the line and curved it like a pitch around my body in order to break that window.

Crap like that will happen, especially when you have a large amount of clients and your odds increase.

grassman177
11-23-2009, 08:50 AM
we have gotten several, but the worst was at a car dealership we mow, a guy was trimming and shot a rock through a minivan side window that was pulling into the parking lot . the window shattered all over the small children in the back seat. the mother came out screaming and cussing so loud i could hear every word over the mower. no one was hurt.

XLS
11-23-2009, 09:11 AM
we have got a few windows over the years the biggest insurance pay out was at a high school where they have golf as a gym activity . the mower hit it while trimming next to asphalt with a mulching mower it shot approximatly 15 feet into the parking lot before it hit a passenger window ,and went throught that auto and into a front windshield .

In 10+ years it's only been 1 more auto, 1 house window ,1 full pane slidding door and 2 storm doors.
Thats not bad for what was close to 75 employees on the earlier jobs to aound 120 now . one of the storm doors was this year .

rvpkanapsky
11-28-2009, 12:12 AM
One of my buddies workers was mowing a commercial property at a busy intersection. His guy shot a rock at the window of a moving car. Lucky for him he had insurance

andyslawncare
11-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Yes, We have broken more items than anyone could wish for... If you don't have it, you will soon decide that liability insurance is just as important as you and your equipment to show off to your customers! I've had many broken windows from both pressure washing and lawn mowing, even broken things on my own trucks in the past!! Insurance is a must have in this business and will save you many headaches, will help in marketing, and will potentially make you much more money. In the past two years, I've had to replace a review mirror on my truck, 3 windows due to rocks thrown by mowers, and a garage door widow from pressure washing...I am happy that these items were all that were damaged. You can also cause serious damage to homes/businesses paint by your string trimmers, edgers, and your eyes when not used properly...Trust me, I've done all of the above in the past.

XLS
11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
and alot of people belive "it cant happen to me " all i got to say is be careful and just wait and see lol

BearWise Landscapers
12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Yes, We have broken more items than anyone could wish for... If you don't have it, you will soon decide that liability insurance is just as important as you and your equipment to show off to your customers! I've had many broken windows from both pressure washing and lawn mowing, even broken things on my own trucks in the past!! Insurance is a must have in this business and will save you many headaches, will help in marketing, and will potentially make you much more money. In the past two years, I've had to replace a review mirror on my truck, 3 windows due to rocks thrown by mowers, and a garage door widow from pressure washing...I am happy that these items were all that were damaged. You can also cause serious damage to homes/businesses paint by your string trimmers, edgers, and your eyes when not used properly...Trust me, I've done all of the above in the past.

Andy's Lawn Care,

I completely agree.

Insurance for a small landscaper is also very affordable with quarterly or monthly payment plans offered by many insurance carriers. The piece of mind alone is worth the premium.

Breaking windows are minor claims too, but if you ever cause personal injury, then you will definitely wish you had coverage. Also, one of the largest liability claims I saw for a landscaping business was when an employee ran over a sprinkler head and it caused damage to the irrigation pipe. The business had insurance and the insurance carrier paid for the damage from the flooding of the basement and some sort of structural damage as well. It was a large claim.