PDA

View Full Version : Any 72" Next Lazer Z owners out there?

jtkplc
11-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Would like to hear feedback from any of you who have demo-ed or use a 72" Next Lazer Z.

jtkplc
11-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Anyone????

timber132007
11-29-2009, 01:13 AM
I have a 72" Next Lazer Z with the 34hp Kawi. It handles really really well and cuts like a champ. Plenty of power. Also loves to drink gas. The Next Lazer has been awesome I just wish I had waited on the fuel injected big blocks to come along. I'm at 2.5gph plus right now. Even with the fuel consumption being so much I wouldn't opt for anything smaller with the 72" deck.

HenryB
11-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I have a 72" Next Lazer Z with the 34hp Kawi. It handles really really well and cuts like a champ. Plenty of power. Also loves to drink gas. The Next Lazer has been awesome I just wish I had waited on the fuel injected big blocks to come along. I'm at 2.5gph plus right now. Even with the fuel consumption being so much I wouldn't opt for anything smaller with the 72" deck.

The big block Vanguards and Generacs are much better engines than the big block Kawy's and get 1.5gph on fuel.

lazer 46
11-29-2009, 12:09 PM

The new Kohler EFI engine will be available in January. However it is 29HP but priced about the same as My 34/60. Fuel injected engines are suppose to get more HP than what they are rated for but I doubt it will be a match for that 34HP.

MONTE
11-29-2009, 01:22 PM
I wonder why the kawasaki likes gas more than the generac and vanguards. From my understanding the 37hp kaw is a 3 valve per cylinder head which should make it better on fuel.

jtkplc
11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
YIKES 2.5+ gph!!!!! My 35hp Vanguard is less than 1.5 gph.

timber132007,
What is your impression of some of the new changes with the Next Lazer Z, like the hydro/pump units, lower center of gravity, and the changes made to the deck lift system? Have you used other Exmark products in the past to compare with?

HenryB
11-29-2009, 02:03 PM
I wonder why the kawasaki likes gas more than the generac and vanguards. From my understanding the 37hp kaw is a 3 valve per cylinder head which should make it better on fuel.

The 37 Kawy has some issues. Kawy is aware of them.

jtkplc
12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Anyone else?

timber132007
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
YIKES 2.5+ gph!!!!! My 35hp Vanguard is less than 1.5 gph.

timber132007,
What is your impression of some of the new changes with the Next Lazer Z, like the hydro/pump units, lower center of gravity, and the changes made to the deck lift system? Have you used other Exmark products in the past to compare with?

Sorry for the late reply I was out of town for a week. I have two 72" Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVG's and a 60" Lazer Z with 30hp Kohler. The Next Lazer Z will run circles around all of them when it comes to handling. The unitized pump/wheel motor design is much more responsive and quick.

Its pretty flat here where I live but the lower center of gravity is nice for ditch embankments. If you operated my 72" Next Lazer Z and then got off it and onto one of my 72" Lazer Z XS mowers you would say that the Next Lazer makes the older design seem sluggish. It is quicker and more responsive.

My local dealer has been an Exmark dealer for years and he said he hasn't had any Next Lazers come in with hydro issues or anything major so far. I guess time will tell. It will be nice to have fuel injected big blocks in the future to make up for the smaller tank on the Next Lazer. I hate having to take cans and refill during the day on large mowing projects.

At first I wasn't sure about the new deck lift design but I actually prefer it now over the older design. If you hit a bump with the old design the deck goes up and locks in the transport position whereas with the new design it won't do that. It's also nice having height adjustments up to six inches versus 5" with the old design.

If I had to choose between another 72" Next Lazer Z or a 72" Lazer Z XS I would take the Next Lazer hands down. The only contingency would be that the Next Lazer had a fuel injected big block or a engine that was comparable to the 35 BVG in fuel consumption.

jtkplc
12-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Sorry for the late reply I was out of town for a week. I have two 72" Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVG's and a 60" Lazer Z with 30hp Kohler. The Next Lazer Z will run circles around all of them when it comes to handling. The unitized pump/wheel motor design is much more responsive and quick.

Its pretty flat here where I live but the lower center of gravity is nice for ditch embankments. If you operated my 72" Next Lazer Z and then got off it and onto one of my 72" Lazer Z XS mowers you would say that the Next Lazer makes the older design seem sluggish. It is quicker and more responsive.

My local dealer has been an Exmark dealer for years and he said he hasn't had any Next Lazers come in with hydro issues or anything major so far. I guess time will tell. It will be nice to have fuel injected big blocks in the future to make up for the smaller tank on the Next Lazer. I hate having to take cans and refill during the day on large mowing projects.

At first I wasn't sure about the new deck lift design but I actually prefer it now over the older design. If you hit a bump with the old design the deck goes up and locks in the transport position whereas with the new design it won't do that. It's also nice having height adjustments up to six inches versus 5" with the old design.

If I had to choose between another 72" Next Lazer Z or a 72" Lazer Z XS I would take the Next Lazer hands down. The only contingency would be that the Next Lazer had a fuel injected big block or a engine that was comparable to the 35 BVG in fuel consumption.

Thanks for your reply. Are the rear tires on the 72" NLZ closer to the deck than on the 72" XS?

I don't understand why Exmark wouldn't put a vertical shaft Vanguard on, like the 34 or 36 hp that is the same displacement as the 35 on the XS. I just don't see why you'd want to put an engine on that gets terrible fuel economy compared to the Vanguard.

timber132007
12-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for your reply. Are the rear tires on the 72" NLZ closer to the deck than on the 72" XS?

I don't understand why Exmark wouldn't put a vertical shaft Vanguard on, like the 34 or 36 hp that is the same displacement as the 35 on the XS. I just don't see why you'd want to put an engine on that gets terrible fuel economy compared to the Vanguard.

The tires are closer to the deck with the Next Lazer. Their actually real close but being that the deck isn't suspended by chains it doesn't move around a lot so their haven't been any issues with mine.

I was kind of hoping to see a vertical shaft Vanguard offering in the future. The power of the 34 Kawi is nice but the fuel consumption is its biggest drawback. I've heard of reliability issues with the 37hp Kawi. I'm at 120 trouble free hours with the 34hp Kawi and I hope it proves to be as reliable as my 35hp BVG engines.

I don't know what their reasoning was for going with the Kawi engines being that vertical shaft Vanguards are available. It probably came down to Exmark getting a better deal from Kawi from a cost standpoint. I'm sure fuel injected offerings will be available in the next couple years. Once word gets out about the fuel consumption of the Kawi big blocks it will probably adversely affect sales.

jtkplc
12-05-2009, 01:59 PM
The tires are closer to the deck with the Next Lazer. Their actually real close but being that the deck isn't suspended by chains it doesn't move around a lot so their haven't been any issues with mine.

I was kind of hoping to see a vertical shaft Vanguard offering in the future. The power of the 34 Kawi is nice but the fuel consumption is its biggest drawback. I've heard of reliability issues with the 37hp Kawi. I'm at 120 trouble free hours with the 34hp Kawi and I hope it proves to be as reliable as my 35hp BVG engines.

I don't know what their reasoning was for going with the Kawi engines being that vertical shaft Vanguards are available. It probably came down to Exmark getting a better deal from Kawi from a cost standpoint. I'm sure fuel injected offerings will be available in the next couple years. Once word gets out about the fuel consumption of the Kawi big blocks it will probably adversely affect sales.

I'm glad hear that they moved the rear tires up close to the deck. I never understood that either. It increases your chances of scalping with such a long wheelbase as well and makes turning less quick because you have to bring the front end further. Do you see a difference in scalping potential between the NLZ and XS?

I wonder how easy it would be to swap out the 34 KAW for a 34 or 36 BVG, not that it would be cost effective to do it, but the fuel savings might make it close to a reasonable thing to do.

Would you be able to take a couple pics of your the 72" NLZ and post them? I really would like to see one since my local dealer hasn't had any on the floor the few times I've been there this season.

W.L.M.
12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm glad hear that they moved the rear tires up close to the deck. I never understood that either. It increases your chances of scalping with such a long wheelbase as well and makes turning less quick because you have to bring the front end further. Do you see a difference in scalping potential between the NLZ and XS?

I wonder how easy it would be to swap out the 34 KAW for a 34 or 36 BVG, not that it would be cost effective to do it, but the fuel savings might make it close to a reasonable thing to do.

Would you be able to take a couple pics of your the 72" NLZ and post them? I really would like to see one since my local dealer hasn't had any on the floor the few times I've been there this season.

Here is a 72" toro g3 different deck but they have got some nice pictures of the machine

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-72-TORO-COM-ZERO-TURN-LAWN-MOWER-29HP-KAW-G3_W0QQitemZ350276920488QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518e21a4a8

timber132007
12-05-2009, 11:39 PM

I haven't noticed a big difference between the two when it comes to scalping. The Ultracut deck on the Next Lazer doesn't flex as much as the Triton suspended on chains though. I think any 72" deck will scalp under certain conditions.

I'm not real computer savvy and have never posted pics on here but I will try to do it Monday or Tuesday next week. I would like to post a picture of the Next Lazer next to one of my Lazer Z XS mowers. There is a considerable difference in size between the two.

jtkplc
12-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Anyone else with a 72" NLZ?

jtkplc
12-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Anyone else with a 72" NLZ or Toro G3?

jtkplc
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm still looking for other opinions and experience with a 72" Exmark NLZ or Toro G3

johnnybravo8802
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I had a 72" Exmark in 01' and loved it-never had one problem. It was extremely versatile and I could get that thing in some tight spots. I had a Ferris IS4000 with a 72" deck and now I have a STT with a 72" deck. All 72" decks make a big difference over the 60". I also want to point out that my 01' only had a 27 Kawi and did fine but sucked the fuel-If I ran it 10+ hrs in a day, I could easily go through $32 worth of fuel.

jtkplc
12-22-2009, 12:47 AM
I had a 72" Exmark in 01' and loved it-never had one problem. It was extremely versatile and I could get that thing in some tight spots. I had a Ferris IS4000 with a 72" deck and now I have a STT with a 72" deck. All 72" decks make a big difference over the 60". I also want to point out that my 01' only had a 27 Kawi and did fine but sucked the fuel-If I ran it 10+ hrs in a day, I could easily go through $32 worth of fuel.

Thanks for your reply.

I know how much of a difference the 72" decks make. I've gone from running both a 60" Gravely and Exmark to a 66" Exmark and then to a 72". To me now, a 60" looks like a little toy and I can't imagine my life without a 72". I can't wait until I'm running a 73" Lastec. That will be heaven on earth.

I'm still really intersted in hearing about those who have demo-ed or own a 72" Next Lazer Z or 72" Toro G3.

johnnybravo8802
12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I know how much of a difference the 72" decks make. I've gone from running both a 60" Gravely and Exmark to a 66" Exmark and then to a 72". To me now, a 60" looks like a little toy and I can't imagine my life without a 72". I can't wait until I'm running a 73" Lastec. That will be heaven on earth.

I'm still really intersted in hearing about those who have demo-ed or own a 72" Next Lazer Z or 72" Toro G3.
Are you going to get a Lastec with the 73" or 100"? Why are you looking at a 72" when you demo'd the 73" Lastec?

jtkplc
12-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Are you going to get a Lastec with the 73" or 100"? Why are you looking at a 72" when you demo'd the 73" Lastec?

Well my situation is where I just paid off my 72" XS this past summer and it has 525 hrs. With contracts I hope to get back next season I will need a 73" Lastec to be most efficient. I want to run two 72-73" machines. I like the faster ground speeds of the XS and NLZ/G3's which is good for some of the acerage we do, yet we also mow a lot where I need the productivity of a 72-73" unit, but it's challenging to fit a big deck in those areas, so that's where the Lastec comes in. Therefore, since I want both a Lastec and faster 72", and the NLZ/G3's have a 3 year warranty and many improvements, I'm just trying to gather some info because by 2011's season I will probably replace the XS I have now with something new.

johnnybravo8802
12-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Well my situation is where I just paid off my 72" XS this past summer and it has 525 hrs. With contracts I hope to get back next season I will need a 73" Lastec to be most efficient. I want to run two 72-73" machines. I like the faster ground speeds of the XS and NLZ/G3's which is good for some of the acerage we do, yet we also mow a lot where I need the productivity of a 72-73" unit, but it's challenging to fit a big deck in those areas, so that's where the Lastec comes in. Therefore, since I want both a Lastec and faster 72", and the NLZ/G3's have a 3 year warranty and many improvements, I'm just trying to gather some info because by 2011's season I will probably replace the XS I have now with something new.
Let me know how the Lastec experience goes if you do it. Good luck.

jtkplc
01-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Any other 72" G3 or NLZ owners out there?

jtkplc
01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Looking for anymore feeback from 72" Next Lazer Z and Toro G3 users.

JABBERS
02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I've demoed a exmark 60" next lazer. I've owned exmarks for about 12 years. The next lazer didn't seem like it turfed grass when you zero turned. I ran it on hill and you could stop going down that couldn't be done with any other exmark has easily as the next, over all it held hill great. The mower had great response from the hydros and was very comfortable. I'm in a situation now do I go with a next lazer with 38 kolher new for 2010 or do I go with the 35 briggs vanguard xs model. They don't put the 35hp briggs on the next lazer or i would hands down go next lazer.

jtkplc
02-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I've demoed a exmark 60" next lazer. I've owned exmarks for about 12 years. The next lazer didn't seem like it turfed grass when you zero turned. I ran it on hill and you could stop going down that couldn't be done with any other exmark has easily as the next, over all it held hill great. The mower had great response from the hydros and was very comfortable. I'm in a situation now do I go with a next lazer with 38 kolher new for 2010 or do I go with the 35 briggs vanguard xs model. They don't put the 35hp briggs on the next lazer or i would hands down go next lazer.

Thanks for the feedback. I really wish I could just swap out the 38 Kohler or 34 Kawasaki with a 36hp Vanguard right at the dealer before I brought it home.

JABBERS
02-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I came to the conclusion after talking technical with some exmark people that I will go with the 38hp kolher. The next lazer is far more advanced than the older exmark xs models. Also with the next lazer the hydro systems are supposed to last alot longer. So when your pushing that big 72" deck or grass collection system it will not be so hard on hydros. I can get a exmark next lazer 72" 38 hp kolher for $12400. The XS Lazer with the 72" deck and 35hp is $14000.

jtkplc
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I came to the conclusion after talking technical with some exmark people that I will go with the 38hp kolher. The next lazer is far more advanced than the older exmark xs models. Also with the next lazer the hydro systems are supposed to last alot longer. So when your pushing that big 72" deck or grass collection system it will not be so hard on hydros. I can get a exmark next lazer 72" 38 hp kolher for $12400. The XS Lazer with the 72" deck and 35hp is $14000.

One factor that will also influence my next Exmark purchase, whether XS or Next Lazer Z is the weight factor. I couldn't believe the weight difference between the NLZ 72" (1276 lbs. w/ 38hp Kohler or 1292 lbs. w/ 34hp Kawasaki) and XS 72" (1610 lbs.) That is a significant difference. That means more power going to the deck because #1 there isn't as large of hydro pumps 21cc on XS vs. 16cc on NLZ and #2 there is 300+ lbs. difference which means less weight to move.

In fact I may even consider getting a Toro G3 because you can drop down to the 29hp Kawasaki (852cc) and still get the 72" deck and 11.5 mph unlike Exmark which only offers the 34hp Kawasaki and 38hp Kohler, which with the smaller pumps and lighter weight, may be a lot of overkill.

jtkplc
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what were the technical reasons for going with the 38hp Kohler?

JABBERS
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I've talked to a few service guys at different dealers and have talked with exmarks technitians. I have had many kolhers and a few kaws. From what I've learned is kaws have a bigger carb so they use more gas and also they have a different lifter that my dealer doesn't like. When choosing a mower my dealer always likes the kohler even when its a smaller less expensive motor. My dealer said they have never seen a kohler motor come apart like kaws do. My dealer is great anyone I ever send there say that they are looking out for the customer not the big sale. Plus I want the next lazer with a 72" deck so the 38hp has the same torque as the 35Hp briggs vanguard.

jtkplc
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I've talked to a few service guys at different dealers and have talked with exmarks technitians. I have had many kolhers and a few kaws. From what I've learned is kaws have a bigger carb so they use more gas and also they have a different lifter that my dealer doesn't like. When choosing a mower my dealer always likes the kohler even when its a smaller less expensive motor. My dealer said they have never seen a kohler motor come apart like kaws do. My dealer is great anyone I ever send there say that they are looking out for the customer not the big sale. Plus I want the next lazer with a 72" deck so the 38hp has the same torque as the 35Hp briggs vanguard.

Good information to know. Thanks for sharing. Please fill me in with your experience if you get the 38hp NLZ. I would like to here your thoughts on it once you've used it some.

froglawn
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
thats ALOT of fuel for one mower!

afd226
02-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Anyone else knows about the 38hp?

jtkplc
02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Any other 72" NLZ or G3 users out there?