PDA

View Full Version : Ditch bank cutting

C&C Landscaping
11-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Took on a client with 250 ft. of ditch bank. My question is what is the best way to maintain it. Looks like I can make one pass with mower down each side the rest will have to be string trimmer or something else. What would you recommend?

lawnkingforever
11-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Depends on how steep the grade. I bought a WB brushcutter this summer and it will cut most of the ditches that I used it on. But you will still need some trimmer work to give it a better finished look. In the past I used an old beater Craftsman 20" pushmower to do jobs like that. Sometimes a trimmer is the fastest way.

C&C Landscaping
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
First thanks for the help. I think its to steep to be safe to use a push mower.
Thanks again
Clay

laird006
11-23-2009, 01:21 PM
tie a rope to the push mower. lol. it works.

ALC-GregH
11-23-2009, 07:57 PM
You'd be better off posting a pic of said ditch line.

XLS
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
if it to steep for a push try a "snip and mow" for a mower quality cut with a trimmer

XLS
11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
we have a Few and they work great for day to day mowing with the line trimmers.

SNAPPER MAN
11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Just use a trimmer. Thats what we do. It's not as bad as it sounds. Really easy actually. Don't waste your money on something else. Just use your trimmer.

howierd3866
11-24-2009, 08:26 AM
we use our boom mowers but if you can run a mower down each side well most of the grass should be cut the rest just weedeat 250 ft isn't much.Also agree a pic would help to see how much you talking about.

XLS
11-24-2009, 08:38 AM
we have many ditches that are 250/300ft. + in llength that the guys just weedeat , you can always bill it out at a higher rate . if this 250' ditch took say over 45 mins to weedeat i might even consider filling it in at the bottom to allow a mower room to mow it out. just another option we have used ourselves.

ALC-GregH
11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
we have many ditches that are 250/300ft. + in llength that the guys just weedeat , you can always bill it out at a higher rate . if this 250' ditch took say over 45 mins to weedeat i might even consider filling it in at the bottom to allow a mower room to mow it out. just another option we have used ourselves.

Filling in part of the ditch line can be a easy way to help the problem. However, make sure it's private property and not state property before you do it or you might find yourself digging it all back out. Or worse, the direct cause of flooding in another area.

XLS
11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
my bad your right there we fill in ditches so often i forgot to mention . in tennessee you can fill in a state right-of-way simply by calling your highway department and asking if the road you are on is state or county highway . ask for the appropriate phone number then ask someone from the county or state to come out and talk to you at that location about making it easier to service . they will tell you how much you can fill it but i know for a fact , it can not change or stop the natural flow of water .nor can you fill it to the point it allows water to saturate into the roadways sub-layers other then that i have never been refused a job just call them first .

we actually go out and flag the boundries of the dirt at it finished grade when they arrive they see what in on your mind and this helps them judge your responsibility level .
I have been told you can do anything on your side you cust can chage the highways angle into the ditch .

we are doing a job just like this right now . could get pics but i know they wont be needed .