PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for this phone call!

Jason Rose
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Just got off the phone with some fool trying to send me, via UPS new "labor law and OSHA posters". Ok, great, I can get those FREE I assume, or for cheap about anywhere. (office supply place) The guy wanted to make sure my address was correct, etc. ok... Then mumbled on about how he was going to ship them out and then invoice me for $89.95!!!! WHAT??? I stopped him and said NO, Hell NO. TOld him several times that they would NOT send me anything and NOT invoice me for anything. What a freaking scam. Just beware...

topsites
11-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I know what you mean, that's just the kind of stupid stuff likes to come around and aggravate me, too.
Nothing you or I can do thou, best to just try and tolerate it some kind of way,
I know, easier said than done, at least for me it is is.

Your answer to that call however, was quite proper in my book.
Sure gets the message across, one hopes.

Always something, maybe it's designed to keep us on our toes lol

theheisk
11-23-2009, 01:05 PM
You are correct the posters are free from OSHA's website. Here is the link.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/publications/publication.athruz?pType=Types&pID=5

Lazer Cut
11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
My second job a lawn and garden place gotta call from "Visa"... Visa called badge number blah blah... extension number plus their name. They called because a charge of 495.95 had been placed on the card and they stopped it. They said the name on the credit card, address, numbers on the front and asked for security purposes the 3 or 4 digit number on back... thats all they need is the numbers on the back. they talked for a bit and said thank you for your cooperation, if you have any questions call 1-800whatever. We had a question about 20 mins later... the number they give you is the true visa security office number. we called and sure enough they had charger the 495.95 15 minutes before we called. They have all the information needed they just need the numbers on the back... if someone calls you like this... hang up and call the 1-800 number and see what the person said is real of not but do not give them the numbers on the back!!

Triplex
11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Just got off the phone with some fool trying to send me, via UPS new "labor law and OSHA posters". Ok, great, I can get those FREE I assume, or for cheap about anywhere. (office supply place) The guy wanted to make sure my address was correct, etc. ok... Then mumbled on about how he was going to ship them out and then invoice me for $89.95!!!! WHAT??? I stopped him and said NO, Hell NO. TOld him several times that they would NOT send me anything and NOT invoice me for anything. What a freaking scam. Just beware...

That's a variation on a common scam against small businesses. They try to get some low-level employee on the phone and browbeat them into saying yes to something like that, then insist that you pay for a shipment of some kind of overpriced crap (usually office supplies or printer toner). Another variation is when they send a shipment of cheap office supplies without calling first, then send a huge bill after enough time has passed that someone opened and used the supplies so that they can't be returned.

Runner
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I had a call very similar to this about a year ago. It was for some sort of tool set. They were going to send me a swet of impacts and some other hings, then anted to bill me later. the guy was relentless at first, and I took this call as I was walking through Home Depot, so then I just let him go on. I let hi waste about 10 to 15 minutes of his time before I told him there is no way I am ordering or accepting anything, so don't bother sending it. Boy, did HE get upset. I remember him just screaming "well why didn't you just hang up, then!"
It was worth every bit of the grin knowing that i wasted that much of his time.
the other guy that gets me is the guy who calls you, and plays like he knows you. He'll say something like"Last time I talked with you, you were ankle deep in grass!". well,...he always wants to open up with "a bad joke". they want to sell cheap rakes and shovels out of Arizona, I believe. If you just shut them down, they always want to make a snide remark and hang up on you. Morons.

txgrassguy
11-23-2009, 07:33 PM
A company similar, if not the same as that one, used to call me.
I said used too as once I lit off the air horn over the phone all I heard was a receiver clattering and a guy yelling "What in the Hell was that????".
Works on other telemarketers too.

Jason Rose
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I guess I had a similar situation a few years back. It was a call from the "Better Business Bureau". They wanted me to give them MY credit card number NOW so they could put my name on their site as a "good business". Umm, that's FREE. I though... Needless to say they tried damn hard, told me that if I didn't accept their offer right now over the phone I could never do it. I asked them to MAIL me the information so I could look at it and decide. Nope, they could not. Uh, sounds to me like they needed the BBB called on THEM. It was surely a SCAM. If I recall they did call me back a couple years later. I told them exactly that, someone needs to call the BBB and report this scam. they hung up on me!

dtford
11-23-2009, 10:57 PM
The BBB is a joke. They call me once a year to tell me that an inquiry about me has been made. They tell me that it's nothing bad, and that i should join to let people know I'm a reputable business. They are a scam that wants your money.

Hawkshot99
11-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Got a call today at my full time job saying how they just needed to check the model number of our printer to send out more spools of printer paper. All of our office supplies is done through our headquarters and they ship it to us. I know we use WB Mason. When they gave me some other company name I told the guy how we only work with Dunder Miflan, and were real happy with them. He just hung up on me.

JimLewis
11-23-2009, 11:11 PM
There are TONS of scams like this boys and girls. Unless it's a customer calling, my office staff have specific directions to tell them "Sorry, we're not interested." and hang up on the caller. I don't care what it is - if they aren't calling to get a bid then WE'RE NOT INTERESTED. GOOD BYE!

Sammy
11-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Yup, that scam has been around for as long as phones have been around.

topsites
11-24-2009, 04:45 AM
The BBB is a joke. They call me once a year to tell me that an inquiry about me has been made. They tell me that it's nothing bad, and that i should join to let people know I'm a reputable business. They are a scam that wants your money.

Oh, it gets better if you join, and yes I'm being sarcastic.
It really does, you think they bother you now, go on and join and see what happens.

As you might know membership isn't free, it costs more than a few hundred dollars, every year.
So as a member I am paying THEM so they and their accomplice companies can spam me relentlessly.
Although I can't say for sure that the ones who do call have, say purchased a "list" from the BBB,
probably not, but someone else is likely compiling the *&%^.
When I complain LOUDLY it calms down for a bit, then it starts right back up.

Told the guy who called today that I wasn't too fond of paying an annual membership fee
just so I could get a slew of solicitors on my phone.
He acted surprised...

Then again the phone book's the same exact way.
Pay thousands for an ad, and more than anything you get folks calling to try and hawk stuff off on you.

Must be some sort of a test, haven't quite figured it out yet, but one year of the
phone book treatment is all it took before I failed to renew that subscription.

Crazy load of crap if you ask me, lol

Hanau
11-24-2009, 04:49 AM
If the number shows up on called ID you could keep calling them back to sell them landscaping services.

topsites
11-24-2009, 04:58 AM
There are TONS of scams like this boys and girls. Unless it's a customer calling, my office staff have specific directions to tell them "Sorry, we're not interested." and hang up on the caller. I don't care what it is - if they aren't calling to get a bid then WE'RE NOT INTERESTED. GOOD BYE!.

Don't get me wrong, that's what I do, too.

But what bothers me is the sheer NUMBER of these callers, when I compare the number of folks who apparently want something
for nothing to those who really are calling for an estimate, the figures come up a bit slim for the good guys.

That is one thing I noticed with print advertising, and it's also one big reason that's driven me away from it.
Maybe I should have been paying closer attention when the BBB originally mentioned their monthly publication...

That's what does it, that's what attracts these comedians, friggin' print advertising.
Older folks too, for the most part, at least that's been my experience.
Unbelievable, the Web doesn't do it to me...
Well, yeah, it does, some, but not nearly as bad.

Which leads me to believe there's an entire GENERATION of these assholes out there.

lotsagrass
11-24-2009, 06:46 AM
I get calls like that here at work for some things....like hey we're just getting up to date info to continue your free yellow pages listing....or need to update your info to continue the magazine subscription you're getting (even though we're not). Most of the time they claim it's for continuing something free, but it's fishy and I always say no thanks.

We've had several people in one office inadvertently sign up for some stupid $15 per month voice mail service (via the internet somehow by clicking ok on something like a pop-up or whatever) and this was being 3rd party billed to our company phone bill. I found it and had to call about 4 or 5 different places to cancel all this crap and legally there was nothing we could do but just say cancel it. Since then we've put a block on all 3rd party billing on our phone bills.

Jason Rose
11-24-2009, 10:07 AM
I get calls like that here at work for some things....like hey we're just getting up to date info to continue your free yellow pages listing....or need to update your info to continue the magazine subscription you're getting (even though we're not).

Oh god, I forgot about the "internet yellowpages" people. When I don't just hang up on these people I will make it VERY loud and clear on the phone that I do NO want it and WILL NOT be billed for anything. I'll cut them off in mid sentence, and usually end up repeating it at least twice. I know how these scammers work, and if they even hear a "yeah" out of you in answer to any question they possibly could use that as your "approval" to send you a bill, which will go to a collections agency if you ignore it.

And the damn magazine people. OMG. I'm so sick of that crap I could scream. When they call, again if I don't just hang up, I tell them that if they have to call me every few months to update their info. then just cancel the magazine! I don't want them anyway! I get probably 10 free magazines a month and don't look at any of them. They never stop sending them either...

I could go on and on and on... The pen and magnet guys with the bad jokes... The people wanting to sell me a credit card machine... the helath insurance rep that's going to be in town tomorrow and wants to set up a meeting... Then there's the recorded messages!

Oh, and talking about the guys with the bad jokes, I guess they moved, because they were calling out of phoenix, unlisted, and a couple weeks ago I got a call from a woman, said she was with the advertizing company with the bad jokes, but the number showed up and was out of tulsa I believe. :laugh:

Runner
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
And by the way, guys...your auto warranty is just about to expire. Act NOW to renew this crucial service!

Sammy
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM

One time when I moved, I did not leave a forwarding address.
Let all that crap mail go to dead letter office.

JimLewis
11-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I have one benefit over a lot of smaller companies in that I am not the one answering the phone anymore. That, alone, cuts the length of the phone calls down a lot. Because the caller (salesman) usually asks for the owner of the business or asks for me by name. Once they hear I am not in the office then they either hang up or just leave a message. My office staff don't even write down their name or number anymore. They just say, "uh huh....uh huh... great. I'll let him know you called." and that's it. Not too much pressure because the caller knows that the office staff doesn't have any decision making power.

Gatekeepers. They're great. I only just hear about the good calls. The rest just get filtered out! :cool2:

deereequipment
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
A company similar, if not the same as that one, used to call me.
I said used too as once I lit off the air horn over the phone all I heard was a receiver clattering and a guy yelling "What in the Hell was that????".
Works on other telemarketers too.

I like that!
Air Horn, great idea!