PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about renting this machine to reseed?

lotsagrass
11-23-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.artsrental.com/index.html?ACTION=Rental&STATE=5&cid=1060

As I understand it this slices open the ground and drops seeds. Correct? I assume the machine itself has a container to put the seed in.

I've got some areas in my yard that is nothing but annual grasses and/or annual weeds. My goal is to seed these areas without having to till up the areas in question. How good will something like this machine do? I'd be planting Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue.

grassman177
11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
cant tell if it is a seeder too, but it will do fine with proper use, and good seed and good starter fert.

newtostone
11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
First I wouldn't use that grass. Second slice seeder work very well for what you're looking to do, or just for filling in a thinning lawn.

Smallaxe
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Planting grass seed is really very basic. :)

We use a slit seeder if we are confronted with a large job that challenges our ability to do it consistantly over a large area.

When 'overseeding', grab a firm, broom rake, some seed, and a pail of compost... Normally 1 trip round is adequate for 5k. In and Out within 45 minutes.

If longer than 2 hrs., get the machine...

JMHO

1966vette
11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
CAUTION:
The K31 is a fast growing clumping wide blade ugly grass. I would not recommed it for any home lawn application.

rcreech
11-24-2009, 08:55 PM
NICE TRACTOR! :)

Rent a Lawn Solutions and you will love it!

Or you can probably rent a slice seeder for the back of that Deere...then you don't have to work as hard.

Why KY31?

I HATE KY 31.

Are you trying to just thicken up a KY31 lawn?

If not...and you want a thin bladed grass go with Turf Type Tall Fesue. Has the same defensive traits (drought and disease) as KY 31 but is a finer more beautiful blade with great color!

DiyDave
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Looks like a bluebird, not terrible, but I would suggest something a little bigger and heavier, I use a lesco renovator 20. The thing to remember here is to overlap the wheel tracks, so you have each outer cut line, from the reel exactly 2-3" from the previous pass. Also not to seed too heavy as in cut the rate way back from the recommended bare ground rate. Also you only want to cut as deep as it takes to get a uniform set of lines, left as deep as right. Another no-no is to run up and down on a slope, a surefire way to have the seed wash out and/or cause erosion problems. These machines take a little getting used to, especially when they hit a tree root, or some Christmas lights that you didn't know were grown into your grass, for instance.:waving:

lotsagrass
11-24-2009, 10:47 PM
KY31 because my house was built in a former cow pasture and most of the 'lawn' is essentially the former pasture and whatever was growing there in the wild. KY31 is very tough and drought resistant. It stays green when the rest of the grass cries for mama and turns brown in hot and dry summers :) If you have a recommendation for a very durable yet better looking fescue I'm all ears....also something reasonable in price. Ky31 is pretty good as far as price too.

lotsagrass
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks like a bluebird, not terrible, but I would suggest something a little bigger and heavier, I use a lesco renovator 20. The thing to remember here is to overlap the wheel tracks, so you have each outer cut line, from the reel exactly 2-3" from the previous pass. Also not to seed too heavy as in cut the rate way back from the recommended bare ground rate. Also you only want to cut as deep as it takes to get a uniform set of lines, left as deep as right. Another no-no is to run up and down on a slope, a surefire way to have the seed wash out and/or cause erosion problems. These machines take a little getting used to, especially when they hit a tree root, or some Christmas lights that you didn't know were grown into your grass, for instance.:waving:

Good tip on the no up/down on hills because of rain washing out the seed. :)

rcreech
11-24-2009, 11:01 PM
KY31 because my house was built in a former cow pasture and most of the 'lawn' is essentially the former pasture and whatever was growing there in the wild. KY31 is very tough and drought resistant. It stays green when the rest of the grass cries for mama and turns brown in hot and dry summers :) If you have a recommendation for a very durable yet better looking fescue I'm all ears....also something reasonable in price. Ky31 is pretty good as far as price too.

If your current lawn is KY31...then you might as well interseed with it!

Turf Type Tall Fescue is a much better looking turf...but would stick with the 31 so you have all broadbladed turf.

Good Luck!

lotsagrass
11-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Basically, I just want real perennial grass and not annual weed grass that yanks up really easy when it's dead and you turn on it with a mower and so on. Plus the annual stuff looks like crap. I'm not concerned about a showcase lawn because I've got too much land to worry about. Just plain old grass is fine with me. I've got a few areas (pretty good size) that's in bad need of seeding to establish fescue.