PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Truck Opinions

kps2389
11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
OK Heres the deal I'm looking at 2 trucks #1 is a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with 110,000 miles and a 6 speed stick. #2 is a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with 58,000 miles and a automatic. Both are around the same price and both are Regular cabs. Which one would you buy?

hondarancher4435
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
If they are both around the same price have the same interior package, both good cosmetically i would say the 02 simply because of the automatic a 6spd manual would be alot of shifting if you drive in the city alot. The miles really mean nothing it's a cummins i wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 300,000 as long as it was in good shape.

I suggest you check out cumminsforum you will find out anything you want to know over there and can get opinions from owners of those trucks that will help alot more with your decision.

unkownfl
11-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I would buy the stick but it would definitely have to be cheaper then the auto though. My only reason would be is I think the autos have issues and if I remember right a lot of dodge owners claim it to be the weakest link.

hondarancher4435
11-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I would buy the stick but it would definitely have to be cheaper then the auto though. My only reason would be is I think the autos have issues and if I remember right a lot of dodge owners claim it to be the weakest link.

yes in stock form the trans will be fine mine is going strong with 170,000mi with no rebuilds but as soon as you add power you WILL have problems they are not meant for the added power the cummins can produce. The stick is cheaper to build up mainly just need a good clutch with the auto you need a torque converter and a new valve body but after that they should be able to handle some power.

gtmorgan89
11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
The 01 with the 6 speed should have the H.O. motor. Those are very desirable trucks. I am actually on my second dodge 2500. I sold my 01 when it had 345,000 miles on it. Also be sure to check what each truck is geared. A 3.55, with a 5 speed manual will get around 22 mpg, while my 4.10 6 speed only gets about 15. :wall

kps2389
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys. The main thing I was worried about was the auto tranny because I know there weak links.

gtmorgan89
11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
You should be alright with an auto tranny unless you want to soup it up a bit. Then with a good valve body, and torque converter you ill be fine.

Also, while im at it I also should try and get you to consider getting a Fass fuel system when you have the time/money. They run about $500 for a new system, but It WILL save you lots, and I mean lots, more in the long run. You can find new ones all the time on cumminsforum.com for $350+ or -

WH401
11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Go with either one you like better, there both great trucks. The auto will be fine, there's nothing wrong with Dodge automatics, only stupid operators. The majority of problems that stem from Dodge automatics are brought on by operator's that have no common sense, such as floorboarding it from every stop light while fully loaded to the hilt, or adding gobs of power to the engine and expecting a stock transmission to handle it.

Talk to the previous owners, or the dealership if that's who it's being sold by, to see if anything has been done with the injection pump or lift pump. The lift pump is a common failure on the 98.5 - 02 24 valve 5.9's. It's a cheap replacement, but the problem is that when it goes it usually takes out the injection pump with, which isn't a cheap replacement, say $3k. It doesn't really matter honestly whether it's been replaced or not because I would still buy either truck, it's just nice to know it's history. If you buy either one, put a good low micron fuel filter and a nice fuel pressure gauge in it. Both of those things will help you extend the life of the injection pump and make sure the lift pump dieing doesn't kill it too.

Just be sure to take both for a test drive before you buy them, just to see how they both behave.

JD7210
11-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Buy the automatic you will be fine

ZTR_Diesel
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Having owned both, the 47RE auto isn't up to the 24 or 12 valve Cummins engine. It works nicely until it starts hunting, and soon afterward your Torque Converter may well fail. The NV 5600 6-speed is a good transmission, and look at it this way; a clutch is around $650 - 800, an auto transmission (47RE unit) is 3-5k.

Also the fuel pressure gauge past the lift pump and before the VP-44 injection pump is Manditory on any 24-valve truck. You need to be able to monitor it and detect a lift pump failure before your fuel cooled and lubricated VP-44 injection pump fails. This pump by itself is $1200 so it's worth keeping an eye on.

Watch for rust on the underside of the doors, trac-bar issues, ball joints. If it's any 01 check to see if it has the 4-wheel disc brakes (01.5 and later) as this is a MAJOR upgrade over the rear drums.

While my preferance would always be toward the manual, I would like to know history, and service records tell you a ton. Have them looked over by a qualified mechainc and buy the one the has had the best care. Make sure neither truck has a salvage title or has been rebuilt - there are lots of them out there!

THEGOLDPRO
11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
what are the going for price wise kyle??

kps2389
11-26-2009, 01:59 PM
what are the going for price wise kyle??

I can't tell you then you will go buy it. haha The 01 was at a dealer listed for 12,500 but I called them and it already sold. The 02 is a private sale and the guy wants 13,500 obo. I don't know if I'm gonna buy it now since I smacked up my truck the other day.

ZTR_Diesel
11-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear you missed to 01. Good luck with your truck (and search), those manual transmission trucks tend not to stick around.

J.R. Services
11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
The automatic will be fine for towing mowers and lighter stuff. But I would recomend stick if you will be doing any heavy hauling. Check to make sure that the fuel pump has been replaced. Ball joints are a PITA on these trucks could have $1000 in ball joints.

TGM
12-03-2009, 10:29 AM
i'd recommend the 6 speed, however, after 3 years i decided to go back to the auto on my 3rd cummins here. shifting gets old when you're working in the cities between mowings, etc. it is a boatload of fun just cruising around though.

the 47re is weak from the factory, even in stock form. and it's almost better to floor your truck all the time than to baby it in a stock auto. the reason is due to the factory line pressure which is dictated by the pump and valve body settings. you can't up the pressure reliably without modify many internals or you will get cross leaking, blown seals, pump reaction rings issues, etc. it's not extra horsepower that rips these things apart so much as the torque. However, if you do leave the truck stock, they should last a long time

yes check the ball joints, tracbar, tie rod ends, bottom of the doors, top lip of the fenders, insides of the bumpers for common problem areas