PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! clip under the shingles

elite lawns
11-23-2009, 10:25 PM
OK we are new to Christmas lights what is the best way to get the clips to go under the shingles on the top part not on the side they go in easy. what do you pro use, i was going try a screwdriver, or maybe election tape to tape them down but it probably won't work, what else a stapler maybe but then i might hurt the roof. Need help thank you for taking the time to read this:hammerhead:

David Gretzmier
11-23-2009, 11:10 PM
don't use election tape, you'll get hanging chads. :laugh:

seriously, you should not put Christmas lights on the ridges. staples, screwdrivers, putty knives all feel like you are doing something mean to the roof. because you are breaking the seal that keeps water out. just do the perimter.

addictedtolandscaping
11-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Your best bet is going to be a puddy knife to get under the shingle then work your way around. DO NOT PRY as this WILL AT MINIMUM CRACK THE SHINGLE.

Dave or Bryan I am sure could give you some other pointers.

turf hokie
11-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I agree with David, election tape is a bad idea it will never do what it promised.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=295185&highlight=knife&page=2

The above link has pics of a putty knife in use.

All the info you ever need is in this forum, just take the time to read.

Staples etc are a no-no, screw driver will just cause problems.

David is dead set against ridge lines, we do them fairly regularly without problems, it is all in how and when you do them.....

Bryan

elite lawns
11-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me

David Gretzmier
11-25-2009, 12:34 AM
it is not just me, it is my liability insurance carrier. ever since Christms Decor lost that class action in court, I have had this disclosure on my insurance that is pretty telling. Since 2005 or so, They exclude from coverage claims of roof damage when I light up shingle to shingle areas. Valleys and ridges are not covered under my policy, and They WON'T cover it, period, at any price. This is true of my current policy with Columbia and my previous policy with AIG.

After getting burned in court, Christmas Decor is also pretty concerned about it, enough to state on what thier customers sign that "The Christmas Decor Service provider will not be liable for andy consequential damages of any nature..."

and further, In the event something bad happens, they make you agree to binding arbitration, and agree that the award is "final and binding" so in the event you need to sue them for roof damage, well, you can't, period.

trust me when I say this, If Decor is putting that big of a shield around them to protect them from future damage, there is some gigantic risk there.

I understand ridge lighting, it is an awesome look and is signature to Christmas Decor, but I just don't need the risk or liability.