PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Do Code Enforcement for Homeowners Associations?

HARRIS Property Management
11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Im working on a bid for a Homeowners Association (Entrance, common areas, etc) and I had a request to also place a bid for code enforcement. Consist of doing a routine drive thru (can be while on lawn route) and checking for any homes out of compliance for neighborhood covenants. As well as addressing issue, etc. Has anyone encountered this and how has it worked out for you if you have. Any thoughts on how to place a figure on this? I was thinking of something like $10 to $15 per house in the neighborhood per month. ANy suggestions welcomed.

JimLewis
11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
$10-$15 per home per month? Seriously??? So if there are 50 homes in the subdivision you're going to charge between $500-$750 per month to do an occasional drive-by and see who isn't mowing their lawn or pulling their weeds??

Seems a little excessive to me. I'd probably just add $50-$100 per month, at most. I'd have to see the subdivision to say for sure. But that's pretty freakin' easy.

Besides, this shouldn't be the LCOs work. Some HOA is trying to pawn their responsibilities off on you. Most HOAs work on a complaint-driven process. That is, they rely on the homeowners to rat each other out. Once a neighbor gets sick enough with another person's property they call or write in a complaint. THEN the President goes over in person to check things out. There's really no need to pay someone to do this for you. It's the HOAs responsibility and it's simple enough to do they should just do it themselves - once they get a complaint.

HARRIS Property Management
11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
$10-$15 per home per month? Seriously??? So if there are 50 homes in the subdivision you're going to charge between $500-$750 per month to do an occasional drive-by and see who isn't mowing their lawn or pulling their weeds??

Seems a little excessive to me. I'd probably just add $50-$100 per month, at most. I'd have to see the subdivision to say for sure. But that's pretty freakin' easy.

Besides, this shouldn't be the LCOs work. Some HOA is trying to pawn their responsibilities off on you. Most HOAs work on a complaint-driven process. That is, they rely on the homeowners to rat each other out. Once a neighbor gets sick enough with another person's property they call or write in a complaint. THEN the President goes over in person to check things out. There's really no need to pay someone to do this for you. It's the HOAs responsibility and it's simple enough to do they should just do it themselves - once they get a complaint.

Im sure that is excessive thats why I like input from others like yourself. And your right, thats exactly what it is...the committee wants to pawn their responsibilities but thats not the issue. The issue is they want to pay someone to deal with it and monitor it. And Im sure my phone number would be given to everyone in the neighborhood so I can take their complaint as well. But I would think this would surely be worth at least a 150 to 200 a month. Sure its easy...but it isnt a free service that goes along with my lawn contract. Im not in the business of doing nearly free services just to hear someone call me and complain their neighbors rv been sittin in the yard for 2 days instead of 1 and want me to drive out there asap and deal with it.

Mowingman
11-23-2009, 10:51 PM
You would be stepping into a hornet's nest. Let the association do their own dirty work. Then, they can hire you to just do the cleanups, if the homeowner does not come into compliance.

JimLewis
11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
I agree with mowingman. I am not sure I'd want to get involved.

But I do understand your point about charging enough. It may be a headache so I guess you'd want to charge accordingly.

I'd list it in my bid as a separate line item. So that they could SEE exactly how much this item was costing them. Then they could still use you if they didn't want to pay that much and could just subtract that amount.

grassman177
11-23-2009, 11:16 PM
let some one else be the nazi , those kind of "rules" really piss me off, and i think they are un american at the least. hoa idiots make me sick

stay away

LawnTamer
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
HOAs are filled with goose-stepping fascists, wouldn't know freedom if it landed in their lap. I would avoid the enforcement gig like the plague. There is a reason they are trying to pawn this off on you- none of them want to do it. Basically, you end up trespassing on people's private property so you can tell them what color they can paint their mail boxes, how tall they should prune their roses, where they can park in their own driveway etc. Unless you are a Neo-Nazi, I would avoid the whole mess.

Hanau
11-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I like the idea of putting it as a line item. Sounds like a pain in the ass. Put it on your bid as an extra $2,000 a month. They'll delete it and do it themselves. Problem solved.

topsites
11-24-2009, 04:41 AM
What they said.

ALC-GregH
11-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I'd pass. No money will be good enough for the headaches you will get from elders calling and complaining all the time. It sounds like the management doesn't want to fulfill their job duties. I wonder if the person writing their PAYCHECK knows they are trying to paw off his job duties on another company? In turn costing the company money. It could be that the property owner already knows the manager has too much on his plate and is willing to sub those duties out to the person doing the ground maintenance. Who knows? I'd still pass unless they force me into it. (with fare compensation of course)

As for a figure, will you yourself be routinely watching the area while doing weekly service or will there be others doing the work? If your going to be there maybe you can just charge them per phone call/complaint. On ones that are in violation, charge per occurrence+time spent. It all depends on whether or not the person in charge of enforcement is going to be on the property every week and can be there on a whim to address any complaints.

ed2hess
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
In our city you have to have real estate licenses to begin with. We have a lot of insight since we are closely involved with the propery manager regarding issues experienced. Last week somebody started roofing their house with white shingles....a energy move. All the rest are grey. The week before one homeowner started staining his cedar fence some goofy green....all fences are unstained. The week before a homeowner wouldn't cut down a tree that damaged the concrete fence and the fence guy wouldn't fix the fence until the tree was gone. Two homeowners unfortunately affected with open fence to a major street. One set of persons don't believe that the lawns need to cut and certainly not edged....guess who they are? There is constant contention and property managers come and go.....but one important thing is when they find a good lawn guy that is half the job.