PDA

View Full Version : Fradan wins the 'blow down'

RobertProv
11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Good friend and competitor called last week and asked if he could borrow a blower (s) to finish up some accounts; as he has helped us out alot in the past we not only let him have a few but delivered them to the site-one was our nearly brand new, wobbly wheeled Fradan Vortex, 9 hp.

Now I cannot attest to this, but according to his crew the Fradan was, by far, the 'best' machine they used; and I understand that there was a 13 hp blower there-not sure of the brand.

I cannot imagine a 9 outblowing a 13, but who knows-what I am certain of is that some of the people found the Fradan a real pleasure to push due to the large tires and the superb center of gravity.

While we would never buy another Fradan product again I thought some might be interested in hearing another point of view.

GPDesign1
11-24-2009, 08:17 AM
While we would never buy another Fradan product again ...

Why is that?

RobertProv
11-25-2009, 08:55 AM
GP, I have two reasons why we will never ever buy another Fradan; first, go to thier website and try to find a phone number for someone AT Fradan AND then write an email to either Fradan OR their distributor and see if you get an answer-I didn't which surprised me.

In case anyone is wondering what I wrote was basically this; we were surprised that they (Fradan) would choose to select such poor quality components for the wheels, bearings and tires-the wobble is astounding-as this is such an obvious part of the machine and one that really imparts a sense of quality or lack thereof. I then inquired as to where I could BUY better wheels, bearings and tires, I also inquired as to whether or not anyone had mentioned a knocking in the Thai GX Honda engines.

Both Fradan and their distributor are 1000% unresponsive, they simply don't care, if anyone objects to this comment-show me the number.

RobertProv
11-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Forgot to add this, I did compliment Fradan on the balance of their blower; I believe I said that it was a 'pleasure' to push.

The best advice I can give anyone who is going to put down some hard earned cash towards a push blower is to avoid Fradan like H1N1. By the way I have also bought my last Honda GX, from now on with this type of equipment its Subaru.

GPDesign1
11-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Robert- Thanks a lot for your comments. Really appreciate hearing the feedback.

I agree that the Thai Honda's don't measure up to the "myth". We're playing with some of the newest-series Briggs Vangaurd horizontals (which are actually made in the U.S.!) and appear to be great engines. The new chinese-built Kohlers (the replacement for the Yamaha-based engines) look good too, but I don't like the "fish-oil smell". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Happy Thanksgiving Lawnsite! :drinkup:

Tharrell
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey, I don't want to hijack the thread but Snapper is as bad about customer service.
I broke the 4 plastic wheels on my vac not long after I bought it and to this day have not heard from them despite numerous emails and calls.
I just said the heck with them and went to Ace hardware and bought AMERICAN made wire spoke wheels for it. I spent over $100 for new wheels but, I would have spent that extra when it was new if I had the choice.
The point is, CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Stillwater
11-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Why is that?

They are not considered the industry standard, The industry standard is Billy Goat Force and Little Wonder, Not that I subscribe to that line of thinking or claim that one is better than the other.

Triplex
11-25-2009, 12:30 PM
The moral of the story is demo before you buy - name any brand of equipment and you'll find people here who love it and others who hate it.

RobertProv
11-25-2009, 06:05 PM
GP, what do you think about Subaru/Robin?

Tharrell, I agree-customer service is key.

Stillwater, I really wish I had bought one of the two you mention.

Triplex, words to live buy, but in my defense, we never-ever believed there would be issues with a Honda. I have four other GX Honda engines and they are magnificent, the oldest is on a Honda tiller and during the 25 or so years we have had it the engine has NEVER failed to start on the first pull, even after sitting for the winter!!

They really -were- amazing engines-works of art in every sense of the word.

supercuts
11-25-2009, 06:46 PM
i absolutely love my fradan 13hp honda blower. my only complaint is the very small front wheel. buts its very light and very small and fits well on the trailer. it blows alot of air. never tried a force or a LW but mine is so much smaller and compact, big plus for me

RobertProv
11-26-2009, 10:03 AM
supercuts, I agree that the design is superb with regard to the center of balance and, with the Vortex, the large tires; very pleasant to push and the airflow is tremendous.

However where Fradan dropped the ball with regard to design is by leaving out an adjustable front air deflector. In more years than I care to remember I used the adjustable air gate on the old Bobcats about three times BUT when you need this feature its worth its weight in gold, and worth the minor rattle.

ALSO, why does Fradan NOT provide the handle mounted throttle as standard?, for homeowners it isn't much of an issue but for all others it really is nice to be able to throttle down by just reaching out a few inches and I am glad that my brother insisted on having this put on, of course it goes to say that the kill switch should also be handle mounted.

Fradan is the best designed CONSUMER unit available.

The Thai Honda is a gigantic dissappointment but can't blame anyone but myself for not seeing the sticker-it says right on the gas tank where the engine is made. There is a knock in it, the oil level switch is so sensitive that even on slight hills it will cut out, and it even cuts out on flat terrain-and would you believe it can be testy to start :dizzy:

A Honda ain't a 'Honda' anymore...........

grass pro llc
11-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I just went to the website, found a phone number, fax and email address in about 5 seconds.

RobertProv
11-26-2009, 12:39 PM
grasspro, is the number you found for Fradan or the distributor for Fradan?

HenryB
11-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Everytime I call they answer and have great customer service.What are you talking about?:confused:

Green surfer 1
11-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I have to agree with super cuts , we purchased a Fradan self propeled 18 hp blower over the Billy Goat product. I think the fradan could use a bigger front air tire, but overall excellent ergenomics,performance is great and this machine can blow some serious leaves. I found it compact versus the new Billy Goat, we presently use Little Wonder machines and have for a long time.

RobertProv
11-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Henry, I sure would appreciate your posting the number you call to speak with someone directly at Fradan.
Does the 18 have a handle mounted throttle, cut off and does it have an adjustable front deflector?

ALC-GregH
11-27-2009, 08:08 AM
here's a Fradan blower listed on CL for $250. It looks old.
http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/1447353963.html

supercuts
11-27-2009, 10:55 AM
supercuts, I agree that the design is superb with regard to the center of balance and, with the Vortex, the large tires; very pleasant to push and the airflow is tremendous.

However where Fradan dropped the ball with regard to design is by leaving out an adjustable front air deflector. In more years than I care to remember I used the adjustable air gate on the old Bobcats about three times BUT when you need this feature its worth its weight in gold, and worth the minor rattle.

ALSO, why does Fradan NOT provide the handle mounted throttle as standard?, for homeowners it isn't much of an issue but for all others it really is nice to be able to throttle down by just reaching out a few inches and I am glad that my brother insisted on having this put on, of course it goes to say that the kill switch should also be handle mounted.

Fradan is the best designed CONSUMER unit available.

The Thai Honda is a gigantic dissappointment but can't blame anyone but myself for not seeing the sticker-it says right on the gas tank where the engine is made. There is a knock in it, the oil level switch is so sensitive that even on slight hills it will cut out, and it even cuts out on flat terrain-and would you believe it can be testy to start :dizzy:

A Honda ain't a 'Honda' anymore...........

sounds like your backpeddaling.... i think its one of if not the best wheeled push blower. i rarely use mine becuase we use giant vac16z blowers on the ZTRs but other push blowers just look top heavy. i want to check out their loaders for next year

Stillwater
11-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I think their blowers blow and their loaders suck

RobertProv
11-27-2009, 02:39 PM
supercuts, not backpeddling at all; I stated from the very beginning that the balance of the Fradan Vortex is superb-just like as I mentioned the negatives about buying a Fradan product; cheap tires/wheels/bearings and Fradan does not wish to talk with any of their customers.

still waiting for that number Henry.

Green surfer 1
11-27-2009, 05:15 PM
As far as the 18 self propel fradan blower,the throtle control is on the engine not hte handle,and no it doesn't have a front directional shute, just sideways,

RobertProv
11-28-2009, 09:51 AM
green surfer, interesting-I have reached the conclusion that the people at Fradan are incompetent.