PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer and dormant seeding

vspvideo
11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Hello
planning on dormant seeding within a couple of days here- upstate ny Its been rather mild here, but expecting temps to drop and possible first snow after thanksgiving. Wanted to know if one should apply starter, winterizer, or something else with the seeding
Thanks
David

mdlwn1
11-24-2009, 10:38 AM
NO FERT IN THE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be like smearing food all over your self and thinking you are eating.

vspvideo
11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
ok, so if i haven't applied winterizer, your advise is don't at this time- and no starter either? (turf is wet and soggy, not frozen yet)
thanks for the quik response mdlwn1

Smallaxe
11-25-2009, 07:27 AM
It sounds like you are in the same pattern we are. Right now the soil temps are close enough to freezing that a few chilly nites in the teens and highs in the 30s will harden it solid.
Seed will not germinate until next spring, so put it down anytime. Fertilizer will not penetrate into root zone and be utilized by the plant, by any stretch of the imagination. IMHO.
Starter - is fertilizer, high in P, so you may be inhibiting the AM fungi that should attach to your roots as soon as the seed germinates. Compost is the best "Starter" for a lot of reasons.

vspvideo
11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
I am hesitating on dormant seeding now. I did do a late season over seed in Oct with kbg. During that time, temp's were unusually high and i have seen germination around the yard. my thought would be just lay down some winterizer and overseed again in the spring...don't know what would be better, winterizing the lawn now without dormant seeding, or lay some seed down now and forget about the fertilizer..
any thoughts?

Smallaxe
11-25-2009, 07:59 AM
I say that fertilizer is completely useless in cold dormant soils, in fact they are focussing on getting ready for winter and K is more necessary for that.

There is a good chance the seed that germinated in Oct. will not survive the winter, but that will depend on the kind of winter.
Just go around and toss seed anywhere that don't look quite as full as you would like. Just be sure to remember to not put down 'crabgrass preventer' until after your seed germinates. Otherwise it is all wasted.