PDA

View Full Version : GrandStand: New Height Adjustment

jbell36
11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
i was looking at the new 36" grandstand picture and noticed the height adjustment is a little different, looks like the handle is on the right side of the machine instead of on the control panel, just wondering about the details...toro, do you have any pictures of this? also why the change?

The Toro Company
12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
i was looking at the new 36" grandstand picture and noticed the height adjustment is a little different, looks like the handle is on the right side of the machine instead of on the control panel, just wondering about the details...toro, do you have any pictures of this? also why the change?

jbell36-
Included are photos of a 2010 40" GrandStand (same "chassis" as the 36" model) and a 2010 48" GrandStand. The design of the deck lift system for the 36" and 40" models is different than the system used on the 48" - 60" models, primarily due to space considerations on the small unit (i.e. - less space for deck lift links between the frame tubes, etc.).

The 2010 deck lift system on the larger machines operates essentially the same as the 2009 version, except that mechanical extension springs (visible beside the control tower) have replaced gas springs as the means of providing lift assistance. The extension springs improve longevity and provide the added benefit of adjustability (to vary the amount of lift force required at the handle).

-The Toro Company

mysteryman
12-09-2009, 05:41 PM
In my decision-making process (36/40 vs 48) I am trying to extrapolate dimensions until they are released. Can you tell me, in the photos above of the 36" and 48", are the fuel tanks and the fold-down stand-on platforms interchangeable on each, in other words identically sized? Thank you.

The Toro Company
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
mysteryman -
The fuel tank is exactly the same. The size of the operator platform (the area where the operator stands) is also the same, however, the platforms are not interchangeable due to differences in how the platforms connect to the frames.
-The Toro Company

mysteryman
12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
thanks for the reply, you've answered my question.

jbell36
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
uh oh, do i see a true floating deck on the 2010 models (chains)?!!!!...if so then i'm pretty excited, just wanted to let u know that...

thanks for the response on this subject, AND you guys also contacted me about the speed issues, i really appreciate that...doesn't look like it's going to be too long until toro is THE best stand-on on the market, things are looking good toro...

jbell36
12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
one more thing toro, on the deck lift arm i would almost say the smaller units are more ideal than the bigger units strictly because there is less of a chance to catch it on anything like a swingset, which i did earlier this year and bent it all up...the arm as you know looks like an "L" and grabs on to anything that gets under it where as if it was just a straight lever it would either just slip off of it or just raise the deck...just wanted to throw that in there for what it's worth

brucec32
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Can you please clarify if the engine is now frame mounted instead of mounted to the deck, or not? I would think that would be a complicated thing to engineer, but would allow the deck to float easily.

Other lawnsite threads were debating this.

The Toro Company
01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Can you please clarify if the engine is now frame mounted instead of mounted to the deck, or not? I would think that would be a complicated thing to engineer, but would allow the deck to float easily.

Other lawnsite threads were debating this.

Bruce 32 - The engine on all 2010 models are mounted in the same fashion as the model year 2009 design, on the deck.

-The Toro Company

jeremy's lc
01-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Mr. toro what kind price is on the 40'' grandstand. Do you know the release date.

integrityman
01-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I wish Mr. Toro would post during non 8-5 hours....

integrityman
01-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Toro, can you get a striping kit for the G-Stand?

brucec32
01-23-2010, 07:33 AM
uh oh, do i see a true floating deck on the 2010 models (chains)?!!!!...if so then i'm pretty excited, just wanted to let u know that...

thanks for the response on this subject, AND you guys also contacted me about the speed issues, i really appreciate that...doesn't look like it's going to be too long until toro is THE best stand-on on the market, things are looking good toro...

Unfortunately a deck won't "float" if

A) it has no antiscalp wheels. It will instead just scalp down to the dirt, at which point the deck edge hits and I suppose it will float some then, but at that point it's scalping the lawn.

B) which I just learned here, the deck is so heavy due to having an engine bolted to it that it will just shave off the turf instead of floating over it even if it did have some sort of antiscalp wheels, which it still doesn't.

You'll still be ok in most situations if you're cutting relatively tall grasses like Tall Fescue, St. Augustine, or Kentucky bluegrass, though. You just have to treat it like you would a fixed deck wb when mowing and not put that deck edge into something thinking it will float over it.

But for Bermuda and Zoysia here, no chance. Toro basically ruled out the machine for an entire region of the country. Oh, they'll sell some. Because some folks don't care about quality of cut all that much. You can mow 2nd tier apartments and office buildings with it. They already butcher them with too-big ZTRs.

And it will be some time yet before we see the effects on the machine of a heavy engine mounted to a deck bouncing up and down all day.

lilweeds
01-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Bruce, don't knock it till you try it. The deck doesn't bounce like a traditional Z or walkbehind. You really need to look before you talk.

jeremy's lc
01-26-2010, 01:06 AM
I mostly cut bermude & weed lawns. I would like too know how the grandstand 40'' does on them before dropping the cash? Interested in one maybe two if it cuts good.

The Toro Company
01-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Mr. toro what kind price is on the 40'' grandstand. Do you know the release date.

Jeremy's lc -

The new GrandStand 36" and 40" models are expected to begin shipping to dealers around the first part of March. Pricing varies by market as it is set by the local distributor and dealer. Please check with your local Toro Commercial Dealer regarding pricing in your market.

-The Toro Company

The Toro Company
01-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Toro, can you get a striping kit for the G-Stand?

integrityman -

Yes. Roller stripe kit for 48"/52" GrandStand is 114-3521, MSRP is $349.99. Kit number and pricing for new 36"/40" & 60" is not yet available.

-The Toro Company

The Toro Company
01-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I mostly cut bermude & weed lawns. I would like too know how the grandstand 40'' does on them before dropping the cash? Interested in one maybe two if it cuts good.

Jeremy's lc -

We have many customers that love the performance of our 3-blade 40" TURBO FORCE decks. We're confident you will also love the cut. We would suggest contacting your local Toro Commercial Dealer (CD designation on Toro dealer locator)to see if they have a 40" GrandStand or 40" Toro mid-size walk behind you can demo (same exact TURBO FORCE deck so both units will cut the same).

-The Toro Company

brucec32
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=lilweeds;3376494]Bruce, don't knock it till you try it. The deck doesn't bounce like a traditional Z or walkbehind. You really need to look before you talk.[/QUOTE

Perhaps you might want to work on your reading for comprehension. Perhaps reading something in narrative fashion makes it harder for you. Let me break it down point by point so you can understand better.

1. Who said anything about deck bouncing? That is rarely a problem on any mower used on small/medium properties where top speed isn't used. With a heavy engine bolted to it, bouncing is the last thing this mower would have a problem with.

2. I was referring to deck floatation, not bouncing. It will gouge, not bounce, not float. Gouging is the opposite of bouncing.

3. Those of us who have a complete understanding of this stuff understand that a deck's ability to float and contour mow is important. With a super heavy deck/engine, and no antiscalps, it simply isn't a true floating deck. The chains mentioned are a great feature of a true floating deck. But for that to have any effect there has to be something to lift the deck up, (wheels, rollers) and with no antiscalps that doesn't exist on this mower. So, like I clearly stated, if the deck hits turf, it will not float over it, it will damage it.

4. Curious, how much Bermudagrass mowed at 1.25" do you guys do up in PA? You think maybe cutting at 1.25" requires more floatation ability than cutting at 3-4"?

5. Fanboy-dom of particular brands is not constructive. I've owned about a dozen Toros over the years. But that does not mean they are perfect. Please save that mentality for Ford/Chevy/Dodge pickup boards and whatever pro wrestler you are a fan of.

Stephen M.
01-27-2010, 01:08 PM
in the parking lot of my dealer. I was impressed with the machine. It looks like it will have the weight to do hills. My dealer has photos that were taken on a 60* slope with someone actually mowing it at the nearby PUD office. That would be a plus over my Wright Stander which slides down hills or won't go up unless its a hard surface.

The weakpoint I see is the short handle being used as the height adjuster. A person has to use both hands to move it and then hold the weight of both the 7 iron deck with the engine mounted on it in order to move the pin back into position. Toro didn't do the mower operator any favors by doing this, and even a strong handed person will have trouble making the height adjustment on the fly.

In comparison, the Wright Stander is a dud for hill mowing, but great as a flatland mower. At least the Rapid Adjustment models have a long enough lever with a push button stop to be good at leveraging the deck and engine mount and can be done with one hand.

Even the John Deere models of the Grandstand have a long handle for the leveraging needed. HMMM, maybe Toro needs to fix this problem before the 2011 models come out?

The Toro Company
01-27-2010, 01:56 PM
in the parking lot of my dealer. I was impressed with the machine. It looks like it will have the weight to do hills. My dealer has photos that were taken on a 60* slope with someone actually mowing it at the nearby PUD office. That would be a plus over my Wright Stander which slides down hills or won't go up unless its a hard surface.

The weakpoint I see is the short handle being used as the height adjuster. A person has to use both hands to move it and then hold the weight of both the 7 iron deck with the engine mounted on it in order to move the pin back into position. Toro didn't do the mower operator any favors by doing this, and even a strong handed person will have trouble making the height adjustment on the fly.

In comparison, the Wright Stander is a dud for hill mowing, but great as a flatland mower. At least the Rapid Adjustment models have a long enough lever with a push button stop to be good at leveraging the deck and engine mount and can be done with one hand.

Even the John Deere models of the Grandstand have a long handle for the leveraging needed. HMMM, maybe Toro needs to fix this problem before the 2011 models come out?

Stephen M. -

Thanks for your email. The unit you saw at your dealership was a '09 model. For '10 the deck lift system utilizes compression springs (similar to a Z) and the lift force has been reduced. These new models will be at Toro Commercial Dealerships (CD designation on dealer locator)for review and demo in March. You can checkout these new models and '10 Z Masters on the following micro site www.toro.com/challenge.

-The Toro Company