PDA

View Full Version : Power-Trac?

millenniumlandscape
05-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Has anyone heard about or tried the Power-Trac landscape tractor package that was shown in the April 2002 Issure of Turf Magazine? I am considering buying the unit, it was advertised for $18,400 and included the trailer, tractor, auger and bits, trencher, 2 buckets, forks, stump cutter and rototiller. If anyone has heard anything, please let me know. Thanks,

Kevin Kruizenga
Owner

Millennium Landscape and Lawncare Inc.

ohiolawnguy
05-17-2002, 09:35 PM
ahhh ye old power-trac. we currently own the pt-425 model with the trailer, and approximately 14 attachments. We purchased in 1999, and it is used daily, for everythig from landscaping to moving mulch, to fertilizing, to plowing sidewalks and spreading salt. If you don't absolutely NEED a bobcat, kodiak, mustang, or case backhoe, etc, the power-trac is a great alternative.

there is a website which has a power-trac forum. here is the address for the site.

tractor by net (http://www.tractorbynet.com)

The trailer is quite heavy, and iwould suggest at least a 3/4 ton truck,as well as installing trailer brake to yuor truck(the trailer does have electric brakes, but the truck mounted unit must be purchased separately)

The main downside of the pt-425 is the fact that it can only lift 800 pounds.

if you are seriously contemplating purchasing one of these units, i would either go to EXPO 2002 in louisville, KY
in July, or you could always take a trip to their tazwell Va. corporate headquarters. It is defintitely a machine you should see in action before either purchasing, or dismissing the purchase of.

If you have any other questions ,feel free to ask.
Good luck, Kevin

power-trac # 1-800-the-yard

P.S. you can buy the attachments in a package deal, by themselves, or in different combinations to suit your needs.
Also, you don't have to buy the trailer ($5,000), but with the way it is made to hold most of the attachments, it would be somewhat foolish not to.

Mykster
05-18-2002, 03:03 AM
Ohio, would the Power-Trac be sufficient to do final grading?

My Father just retired and bought 10 acres. The Excvation Co. doing the ground on his and his wife's property told him that if your going to buy a tractor anyway, he could put him to work doing final grade work for him, since they've become good friends. The tractor's with all the attachments he wants (without trailer) cost well over the cost of the Power-Trac.

Thanks.

ohiolawnguy
05-18-2002, 07:09 PM
yes, he could do final grading. but, you would then need to buy a separate attachment. Power-trac just recently came out with their own version of a box rake. we just purchased it not long ago, ($2200 i think) and it works well. they originally had a real harley box rake designed by harley, but with the cost, $4200, i don't think many people bought them.

of course, final grading could require tilling at times before grading, the tiller works good also. occasionaly, a rock does clog up the tiller, but you just turn it off, take out the rock, and continue.

the attachments aren't served justice in the picture. all of the attachments ave extremely sturdy.(we have bent the pallet forks just slightly, but norhing else has more than scrapes at all. power-trac made coal mining equipment originally.(or so i've been told)

the buckets are two sizes, but we rarely use the smaller one.

the augers are great on flat to slightly hilly ground. (wanna put a whole bunch of fenceposts in, no problem) on steeper hills, it is just a little trickier.

the stump grinder works great on softer wood, and small to medium sized stumps. I wouldn't suggest trying to grind an 80 year old oak stump which was healthy(take a few hours easy). but if you had time to kill, you could do it.

in the winter, you can plow drives, and salt also. the package deal comes with a spreader, capacity about 120 pounds, and you can purchase the plow also.

it really is a good machine overall. Although a maintenance company probably wouldn't have the desire to use it as a mower, they do make two different mower decks for it as well.

There is a good sized landscape company that was recently featured in one of the trade(pro, turf, etc. magazines, who used 3 or four of them.

for someone like your father, i think it would be great. over at that tractor by net internet site i mentioned, i believe that the majority of those power-trac user's are homeowners, and not companies.