PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Homemade Grass Catcher

clean_cut
11-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I've been trying to think of ways to make a homemade grass catcher (to save money, and for the fun of it), I'm currently following the design of an Accelerator.

I don't have many types of materials at my house, mostly plywood and some hardware cloth (heavy duty chicken wire with approx. 1/2 inch spaces) for ventelation.

I was thinking of making the sides (atleast 1 of them), the bottom, and back out of plywood, and the top (and maybe a side) out of hardware cloth.

What do you think of the idea?

Also are there any things that you like or don't like about the Accelerator, ex. the handle should be on the side or the door needs to be wider, or the top ventlation is great etc. So I can add them into my design.

I'll try to draw somthing up real quick to show you my idea, don't expect it to look great though, lol.

grassman177
11-24-2009, 04:45 PM
honestly, great you want to attempt to make your own, but that wil suck both as a funtional aspect and most def the wieght. that thing will weigh toooooo much. jmo

clean_cut
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah, it probably will Weigh a lot, but with 2/3 sides as Mesh, it'll probably lighten the load, what does a metal one weigh 30 lbs?

I'll try to attach the quick image I drew up.

clean_cut
11-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Huh, my computer won't let me attach the file, I'll try later on the other one, but for now you guys got any other suggestions?

clean_cut
11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, now that I think about it, It'll be pretty heavy, you guys know any other ways to make one, with lighter material, without having to weld or spend too much $$$?

MikeKle
11-24-2009, 06:55 PM
You could try to find out what type of fabric they use on the regular 21" walkbehinds grass catchers, they allow for ventilation and seem pretty tough,To me, it looks like a burlap or nylon mesh? call a fabric store and see if they know, its probably pretty cheap material, and you could lay it over a skeleton type frame, that would cut the weight down quite a bit.

clean_cut
11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that, and the metal would be pretty easy to bend/mold (and cheap too). I think it's more of a burlap material though, I guess a fabric store would have some.

hockeypro1411
11-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah, now that I think about it, It'll be pretty heavy, you guys know any other ways to make one, with lighter material, without having to weld or spend too much $$$?

That REALLY limits you. Welding a simple frame out of rebar or the like and cutting/sewing mesh to fit would be the way to do it. Cheap, lightweight, and effective.

clean_cut
11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, but I don't have the things to weld nor the knowlege, how much does a shop usually charge for welding?

mowisme
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
ok..out on limb here..no welder..light weight- Make one out of PVC? glue the elbos..pretty tough stuff- very cheap- light weight. I made a Leaf bag holder about 4ft tall out of it. holds my bags upright and open. I imagine life expectancy would be 5years- but if only cost $5 of PVC- you can make several once pattern is figured.

clean_cut
11-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah, PVC could be a good idea, how would I make the mounting bracket for the mower though? I'm sure I'd have plenty equipment to work with it (cleaner, glue, PVC saw, etc.), I'm just not sure about the mounting bracket, any Ideas?

Also, does anyone know the price at a shop for welding?

DT Lawn Care
11-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Also, does anyone know the price at a shop for welding?

Welding can get pretty expensive by professionals. Honestly, you are going to pay a welder to make a HOMEMADE rig? You are going to end up wasting the money and will end up wishing you had bought the real deal. If you don't want to spend the money on new, try and find a used one, maybe eBay or local CL.

hockeypro1411
11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
If you're willing to make the drive, I'll weld **** together for you.

pdenney11
11-24-2009, 10:55 PM
did you ever figure out how to get your file to load so we can see what you have planned so far?

STIHL GUY
11-24-2009, 11:33 PM
You could try to find out what type of fabric they use on the regular 21" walkbehinds grass catchers, they allow for ventilation and seem pretty tough,To me, it looks like a burlap or nylon mesh? call a fabric store and see if they know, its probably pretty cheap material, and you could lay it over a skeleton type frame, that would cut the weight down quite a bit.

that seems like a pretty good plan

clean_cut
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
I just gave up on the original plan, too much weight, but it was very similar to the Accelerator, just w/ plywood.

Now I'll need to find a way to make one with a frame and a burlap material.

What do you guys think about the PVC Idea?

hockeypro1411
11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I just gave up on the original plan, too much weight, but it was very similar to the Accelerator, just w/ plywood.

Now I'll need to find a way to make one with a frame and a burlap material.

What do you guys think about the PVC Idea?

Get the UV resistant stuff. After being in the sun too long, regular PVC can get brittle. One problem I see with PVC is how it's going to be attached to the mower. It's eventually going to have to be mated to metal. That can cause a weak point in the PVC. Another problem is that in order to have a somewhat rigid structure, you're going to need some thick pipe. Another downside is that you're really limited to angles with the PVC.

AmGreen
11-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Pvc will flex too much under the heavy weight of grass clippings.

Grass gobbler. Same design as accelorator just steel not aluminum. Hence less expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device

WHIPPLE5.7
11-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm the king of homemade projects to save a buck and I can tell you even with being a very talented welder, owning a welder, etc. most of these projects never pan out th way thaught they would. We all start out with an idea that seems great and cost effective but after years of doing this stuff i can tell that out of the half that pan out its still a constant pain. Just buy a used catcher when you can afford.

MikeKle
11-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Welding the frame and the mounting brackets would be best, and fairly easy, but if you cant weld or dont want to waste a bunch on paying someone to make it for you, you could always use regular black pipe and use threaded pipe type connections. This would not be that pricey and would be easy to construct, since they sell all kinds of connector pieces. Probably a 3/4" dia, pipe would work best. And you could install the mesh material to the frame with hog rings or even zip ties. Post some pics of it if you build it.

clean_cut
11-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks Guys for the Help!