PDA

View Full Version : need some advise on the honda mowers..

onlythebest
11-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi, i have been looking at the Honda mowers a bit and am torn between the premium residential and the commercial units. the premium residential has more features whereas the commercial... well its very commercial grade! since my dad works at Honda i can get a good deal on both so i am just asking what is the better of the two for around 7-8 hours a week on small and some corner lots.
Thanks a lot for the help,
Matt

DJ'sLawnCareSvc
11-24-2009, 07:17 PM
depends on your budget cuz their has been great success with residential honda units, im one that has had success although i dont push mow much

JNyz
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Get the one which you think will take the greatest amount of abuse.

outdoor
11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi, i have been looking at the Honda mowers a bit and am torn between the premium residential and the commercial units. the premium residential has more features whereas the commercial... well its very commercial grade! since my dad works at Honda i can get a good deal on both so i am just asking what is the better of the two for around 7-8 hours a week on small and some corner lots.
Thanks a lot for the help,
Matt

Either one will do you i have had very good luck with the Honda

deere615
11-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I have 2 hrx 217's they are the top residental. They both have seen alot of abuse. Both work great, I do like some of the options they have over the commercial model. Only problems I had were the hrydro cables both have been replaced and I think one is going again

onlythebest
11-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi, thanks fo the replys I also like the featurse o the resedential over the commercial... I think Im going to go with the second most expensive residentials (don't need an electric start) only because I feel I don't need a 12 month warantee versus a three month and because I really like the bag to mulsh thingy on the resedential. Again, thanks for the help guys you really make my decicions easier!
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
11-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Sounds like the HRX217HXA. That's what I've got, and I love it. Still, I'm just a homeowner, so my opinion may not be too useful.
The blade clutch is my favorite feature.
The lack of primer bulb doesn't bother me at all, as I've never had to pull the cord more than twice. I've got no idea why you would want a battery start on this. Honda's are just so easy to start.

Just one word of warning:
These engines have been known to have sticky valve issues with ethanol added gas (even just at 10%). I always use premium plus stabil, plus just a little MMO, and rotate my gas to keep it fresh.

Oh, and there's no visible fuel filter in this unit (there may a screen molded in the tank, but I couldn't see it), so I cut the fuel line from the tank, and put an extra fine inline screen in there.

RonAyersMotorsports
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
The HRC model is shaft driven no belts. Will take much more abuse. Especially at your discount, I wouldn't even hesitate on the HRC. It will still be running 10 years from now.

onlythebest
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
hmmm yeah i cant really decide on which one to get... no place around here to test them out so i kinda just have to order the one i want. thats why i am asking for as many opinions as i can get because i need to make a decision based upon them. again like i said, the HRX has some nice features but the HRC is shaft driven like RonAyersMotorsports said and it has a commercial grade engine. wow this is a harder than i thought, hmm what to get what to get :confused::confused::confused:

All_Toro_4ME
11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
I have the HRX model, electric start. It's a great mower. Very dependable, starts well and leaves a really nice cut. I have considered upgrading to the HRC model for '10. Main reasons: the gas tank is small, so you need to fill it up about every 35-40 mins of mowing. If you are cutting thick, lush grass, I've found that on mine, once it dies, the engine just shuts down and it needs 5-10 mins to "cool down" before it will start again. Usually at that point, I'll grab the comm toro 21 off the trailer to finish the job. Overall, the HRX is a great mower, just be aware of its limitations and dont overwork it. If you are using it for your own yard and possibly a few others that are maintained, it should perform to your expectations. If your intentions are to use it commercially and run it through hell with all different types of conditions, grass height, etc, you may face more frustrations then you want.

onlythebest
11-25-2009, 07:10 PM
thanks, i will most likely be doing like i said about 7-8 hours or 12 lawns a week with it and not crazy heights and conditions, just a weekly trim up to 2" off sometimes. and when you say it dies, do you mean from the thick grass bogging or just the engine knows when to call it quits? i don't think i will get the electric start model because of how easy the engines are to start and the possibility of something going wrong with it. im still pretty torn between the two.. the HRC or the HRX217????

RodneyK
11-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I have the top of the line Honda HRX residential, great features but I just can't get used to the controls. Granted I haven't tried that hard and I have just been grabbing the old Toro because I am usually in a hurry. I would not have bought this if I had test driven it. Learn from my mistake, find somewhere and do a test drive!

lawnsaspire
11-25-2009, 08:49 PM
I have the Honda VXA Residential model I bought for $460 at Farm & Home and I've used it for two years now. No problems. And I've abused it terribly. I've ran over a water marker twice and several other things and it's survived. The only thing I don't like about it is if I set the height less than 2 1/2 the rear part of the deck scalps the ground. I won't buy a commercial if I get another.

onlythebest
11-25-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks Rodney i have used these type of controls on another brand of mower a couple of years ago and took me about 20 minutes and i had it down pretty good...

lawnsaspire what do you mean when you say you will not buy a commercial if you buy another one? do you mean that the residential model does a great job and the commercial is overkill?

doubleedge
11-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Review of my HRC:

Pros:
durable
cuts well
bags well
mulches leaves well
fuel efficient
smooth infinitely variable hydraulic transmission
does well on hills (tires don't spin)

Cons:
can't side discharge tall grass
heavy
throttle/choke cable sometimes comes out of adjustment

onlythebest
11-25-2009, 10:18 PM
anyone have any pros and cons of the HRX series?

deere615
11-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I gave my pros/cons. Either way you look at it they both have a honda engine whiche are great! I have an older early90s honda commercial and its still going also. So if you want the extra features go with the hrx if you want something that will last a bit longer go with the hrc. Like I said though I have 2 they get worked pretty good and have been great.
I love the way honda control systems work I think they are the best out there

onlythebest
11-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

onlythebest
11-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Alright I will try an see if I can find any left since the Honda power equipment dealers send back any unsold units at the end of the seaso so I might have to wait til spring which I guess is ok since there isn't much room for another mower in the garage right now! If I can find some I will test both models and see which one I realistically like more, right now I'm still leaning towards the hxr model but we will see if it's as good as it apears on my screen... Anyways, thanks all very much and I'm sure which ever I chose will work as you guys have told me.
Matt
Posted via Mobile Device

All_Toro_4ME
11-26-2009, 11:02 AM
when you say it dies, do you mean from the thick grass bogging or just the engine knows when to call it quits? im still pretty torn between the two.. the HRC or the HRX217????

It dies from the thick grass bogging it down and it needs a cool down period.

Honestly, whichever model you choose to go with, you will be pleased. Both are exceptional units with very dependable engines.