PDA

View Full Version : "Angled" or "vertical" edging with a trimmer?

MikeKle
11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
On many of my properties, I just run the trimmer along the walks and driveway edges at an angled position, but some customers ask me to edge it more vertically, It does look better vertically, but on some yards, it doesnt. Most people do not care as long as it is at least done, but others are particular about it? Plus I always wonder if it is really good to run a trimmer upside down? And for some reason, I have to walk backwards to edge it properly! Ive tried walking forward doing it and it turns out looking bad? Just wondering which way other guys are doing it.

STIHL GUY
11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
i edge vertically with my trimmer. because it is 2 cycle the engine will not get starved of oil if it is turned upside down. i also walk backwards when edging

grass_cuttin_fool
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
I use and edgit and get good results with it....cost about 55 bux

DFLS
11-24-2009, 08:41 PM
i edge vertically with my trimmer. because it is 2 cycle the engine will not get starved of oil if it is turned upside down. i also walk backwards when edging

I do it that way too. Just like cutting wood with a table saw you have to feed in the direction of the spinning blade. Keep the string fed out all the way and the rpms up and have the string get as close as possible to the (dirt, sidewalk) as possible without touching. The more the string contacts the ground the more line you waste. And try to resist the urge to cut too much off your "edge" -- just take off what is necessary to maintain your edge. As you get better at it you can go really fast. I find myself not looking where the string is cutting but more like a couple feet in the direction I am headed.

SNAPPER MAN
11-24-2009, 08:47 PM
We always edge vertically with a trimmer. My guys don't even use a edger. Once you get used to using the trimmer it is second nature.

GravelyGuy
11-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Running the trimmer at 45 degree angle scalps the outside edge of the grass and causes problems with weeds, it also looks like hell. The edges around concrete are already the first to get stressed when it gets dry.

This is the preferred method by hack companies around here.

integrityman
11-24-2009, 10:28 PM

yup- won't hurt your 2 cycle engines. I walk kinda backwards too. Sorta do a one foot behind the other side step. I generally like to do a straight down vertical cut. That way the grass is nice and thick next to the concrete sidewalk or driveway and weeds have a tougher time growing.

bobcat48
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I always edge vertically leaves a nice looking edge.

Kutz Lawns
11-24-2009, 11:10 PM
My trimmer actually runs better upside down!

MikeKle
11-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Although I dont have many, Yards that do not see any fertilizer actually look worse edging vertically, so I always edge those at an angle.I can go forward doing the angle too. When I hold my trimmers upside down, they always make a weird noise like their not running right?

South Florida Lawns
11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
We do both I got one guy that runs an edge then another comes with a trimmer and rounds the edge a bit to give it a beveled, makes our yards stand out from everybody else!

STIHL GUY
11-25-2009, 12:35 AM
My trimmer actually runs better upside down!

:laugh::laugh:

SNAPPER MAN
11-25-2009, 12:47 AM
We do both I got one guy that runs an edge then another comes with a trimmer and rounds the edge a bit to give it a beveled, makes our yards stand out from everybody else!

Thats exactly what we do, but we just use the trimmer for both. My leader is so proficient with a trimmer it looks like we used a edger.

Triplex
11-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd recommend vertical for high-visibility locations. It takes 2 passes, one holding the trimmer head level and another holding it vertically - edging at a 45-degree angle only takes 1 pass and can be a quicker alternative, but should only be done in less visible areas since it doesn't give as good a result.

jvanvliet
11-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Edger for hard surfaces @90 degrees followed by trimmer @ slight angle but be careful not scalp - Planting beds edger @ about 45 degrees to the outside followed by trimmer @ slight angle - don't scalp! Too many weed wackers drive the string into the dirt & since St. Augustine is a centipede grass, it exposes the roots and it never comes back. I dunno bout all them fancy northern kentucky blue grasses, etc.

N.TX
11-26-2009, 12:03 AM
We edge with the metal blade edger then come back and skim the edges with the trimmer. It gives it the kinda nice tapered hair cut type look. I like to do that because down here we like to mow the grass tall in the summer to keep it green and the edges still look clean cut this way.