PDA

View Full Version : My mower's got cancer

South Florida Lawns
11-24-2009, 10:25 PM
And a lot of it. Just washed it today and found holes all on the front of the deck and on the back side of the cutting edge.

I'm gonna cut and gring it all out then weld in some 1/4 plate steel I'll get pics tomorrow.

1993lx172
11-25-2009, 12:22 AM
I've always wondered if you guys had to worry about salt rot much. Between the salt air and the sandy soil I'm surprised you guys aren't replacing/patching up your decks every few years.

yamadooski
11-25-2009, 06:28 AM
NO its really the blades that get eaten up. I go through a lot of blades from sandy soil to sharpening every day.

Jason'sLawnCare
11-25-2009, 08:41 AM
I want to see pics of this. Not too much salt here, inland about 45minutes.

fobaum
11-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Where are you at South Florida? I'm in Davie,FL Its in Ft Lauderdale area Its pouring right now!! Damn- I got a s--t load of stuff to do today.....

Jason'sLawnCare
11-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Where are you at South Florida? I'm in Davie,FL Its in Ft Lauderdale area Its pouring right now!! Damn- I got a s--t load of stuff to do today.....

I hate that situation. It hasn't slowed down for you much yet? Up here the season is pretty much to a hault. about every three weeks we are cutting each lawn.

44DCNF
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
The same grit that eats blades will wear decks thin.

traman
11-25-2009, 12:19 PM
i blame it more on the chemicals on the lawn than the soil,my shoes look more like there melted than worn out.

South Florida Lawns
11-26-2009, 03:59 PM
i blame it more on the chemicals on the lawn than the soil,my shoes look more like there melted than worn out.

Thats what I believe as well. Where ever grass builds up the rust has caused holes and thin spots on the cutting edge. I only have one account thats on the ocean and I havent had it long.

We cut rain or shine and I think the extreme moisture and chemicals in the lawns speed up the rust factor. Also the fact that the SFS decks seem to be mostly 16ga. the lighter deck is more prone to major holes due to thinner steel used.

I ended up going with 11ga. steel as 1/4 plate was overkill. I will get some pics after unbolting the deck and flipping it over. I hate welding upside down:dizzy:

44DCNF
11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
St Augustine grass has a very high silica content which helps wear things too.