PDA

View Full Version : Quick's "bulletproof" drive system

lawnsaspire
11-25-2009, 01:48 AM
The other day i was talking to a guy from BOP and he made the comment that the drive system on the Quick mowers is "bulletproof." I've heard that before as I have one, but what does that mean to me? It's not like I'm gonna shoot the thing, unless it stops running. I just thought I'd ask do any other companys make this claim?

topsites
11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
No but then most other companies don't make their own drive systems, at least
not the transmission itself, now whether Quick does it, that I could not tell you.

Richard Martin
11-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Quick's not making their own drive. I'm not sure about the SD mowers but the dual hydros are Hydrogear, just like a lot of other mowers.

lawnaspire, the guy at BOP isn't being literal. It's a saying that used to describe something that someone thinks is tough.

GPDesign1
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
The other day i was talking to a guy from BOP and he made the comment that the drive system on the Quick mowers is "bulletproof."

Lawnsaspire: As Richard said, it's a figure of speech. It's made, however, from an underlying truth.

How long the drivetrain of any mower will last is a function of how hard it's working (pump/motor internal hydraulic pressures, beam-load on gear teeth, etc.). How hard the drivetrain is working is very much a function of how much the mower weighs. With equal drivetrains, a light mower will last longer than a heavier one- exponentially. Quick's are the lightest-weight (pound-wise) mowers in their class. That's why the drive systems last longer- they're not lugging-around a bunch of dead-weight.

When testing our Dually-series mowers, we found that the drives worked the same at 2000 hours as they did when brand-new. Little strain= little wear= little change in performance.

Hope this helps!

gp

brucec
11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I have the understanding that the drive system on the quick is designed for a bigger and heavier machine. It makes sense to me that a smaller lighter machine will not hurt the drive system as much making it last much longer. Nothing is completely "Bulletproof". I have seen people that are able to break an anvil with a feather! I know I married one of these people. With that being said I will be going into my 4th season with my Quick and I can honestly say the drive system abosolutely perfoms as it did when new, as well as the rest of the machine. Just my .02.

demhustler
11-27-2009, 02:12 AM
does Quick transmission has limited slip differential feature or lock?
or it just the same as used on regular lawnmowers (tractors), BillyGoat WB, etc?

without lock or LSD such transmission absolutely useless on the slopes:
due to differential, our 33'' BillyGoat with regular mech. tranny just can't go at any slope or hill sideways - upper wheel spinning and lower stand still

though it can be modified (RM did) - but next time i'll think twice if i want such kind of transmission

pict: transmissions with Diff. lock feature (//tufftorq.com/