PDA

View Full Version : How do I solve a Soil Compaction Problems

Reel_Green
05-17-2002, 05:30 PM
A new neighbor recently moved into their home. They have a mature zoysia lawn. Unfortunately the moving truck drove through their yard and created soil compaction areas.

You can literally see the indentation of the tire tracks. They's approximately 1 - 1.5 inches deep.

Any idea how to solve this problem? Someone suggested spreading a 70% to 30% (sant to top-soil mixture) in the compressed areas. Any other ideas?

CSRA Landscaping
05-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Are you trying to solve the compaction or the cosmetic effect of the tire tracks? If compaction, I would start by aerating the fool out of it. Then fill in the tires tracks gradually, although I wouldn't know what soil mixture to have you use. Let us know how it goes. Good luck. :)

Reel_Green
05-17-2002, 05:58 PM
The compaction causes scalping when I hit the low (compressed) spots. So i need to solve this problem from a compaction and visual standpoint.

Thanks.

tremor
05-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Use a digging fork to puncture the depressed area. Then wiggle & slightly lift at the same time. Adding more soil to the low points will only help the mowing issue. But the problem will still be there. How thatchy is the Zoysia? I ask because if thatch isn't too bad, you might also be able to agressively work the ridges off with a thatch rake or a cultivator. Even a power rake or dethatcher may prove useful here.

When you've gone as far as is reasonable, fill the remaining depression with the same type of soil or just steal some from elsewhere in the yard.

Steve

CSRA Landscaping
05-17-2002, 10:13 PM
That sounds good, Steve. Are you talking about a garden fork when you say digging fork? I didn't consider that ... good idea.

GroundKprs
05-17-2002, 10:19 PM
You're talking about ruts, not compaction, I assume. Try <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=50035#post50035">THIS METHOD</a>. I've done miles of ruts without adding soil, sod or seed. Just a good ole digging fork.