PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk boots...

Bunton Guy
11-25-2009, 07:05 AM
I've had issues with boots for the last couple years. For a while I was twisted I was spending $100 bucks on nike's for when im not working and trying to find the cheapest pair of boots for when I am working. After I finally got myself to switch that bad habit and started buying better boots I found so far they were no better quality then my cheap wal-mart boots I had been buying.

A little over a year ago I bought two pairs of Timberland boots...they were on sale. I got them for $70 each so $140.00 for the two sets. The first set lasted close to 6 months after that I couldn't bare with the smell of them. They got wet during a period of time in which we had rain every other day so we worked in wet conditions for weeks. The boots never stopped smelling even long after they dried. I tried all different sprays and inserts...none killed the "wet boot" smell.

So I chucked them knowing I had another set on standby. All was well until two weeks ago when we started to have a wet spell of rain every couple of days then a week of solid rain. So we've been working in soupy wet lawns for two weeks now and these boots are smelling way worse then the first set. Is it just Timberland boots that do this?

Anyone else have this issue?

Is it possible to keep a pair of work boots longer than a year? I've heard that there are a couple brands that have lifetime guarantee on the soles? that they actually screw in and out and they will send you a pair if they wear out?

Both pair's of timberlands that I bought had the soles fall off within a couple months. The current pair are "gorilla glued" on right now.

firebox700
11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Red Wing...............You pay more for them but it is WELL worth it!

ALC-GregH
11-25-2009, 07:45 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291829&highlight=work+boots

green_with_envy
11-25-2009, 08:05 AM
I was buying HiTec light hikers (about $80). Very comfy but they would wear out at about 4 months. My wife talked me into buying a good set of Red Wings. I paid $160 for the. At first I hated them but after about 2 months they are finally getting comfortable. They are very waterproof though. So, bottom line, we'll see how they hold up. If it doesn't add up to the price of a couple pairs of HiTec's, I'll probably switch back.

93Chevy
11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Hands down Redwing boots are arguably the most comfortable and longest-lasting on the market.

Whatever you do, make sure you get boots with Gore-Tex. Gore-Tex is a bootie inside your boot that allows your foot to breathe while not allowing water through. I can literally stand in water all day for 12 hours and my feet will be 100% dry. My boots smell a little, but I've had them over a year. They're bearable, but any boot is going to have a bit of a stench.

B Gillespie
11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Wesco for climbing and serious work; they make redwing and danner look like silver series from walmart. I have two pair of highliners, my 16" pair has thousands of poles on them and still look great. Both pair of redwings I purchased took months to break in and didn't last long. Other than Wesco, my choice would be Justin Boot Co.

Keen for lighter tasks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tharrell
11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Wolverine is what I've been using for the last several years.
I buy 2 pair at a time and rotate them every day. It works out good for me. Tony
btw-I used to wear Red Wing and agree they are excellent boots but, expensive.

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Timberlands Suck. Hands down. Highly expensive and not built worth a darn.

I can't wear Red-wings, too large for my foot.

If you want the best boot, look into high quality hikers. I use Asolo's and are the only shoe I've found to last more than 6 months, gives me the stability and protection I need, and I've almost eliminated foot fatigue from the days work.

Merrel, (Wolverine), Asolo's, Vasque (red wing), Nike ACG's, and a handful of other hikers will work well and hold up. They are made to be walked on constantly unlike most work-boots for the construction industry.

Check out REI's website. http://www.rei.com/category/4500006

I always buy the gortex boots with the mesh uppers to help them breath. Their more comfortable than full leather boots, last as long as the soles, and my feet are dry and happy everyday.

I swear all general workboots are tested on Gov't employees, or union members. :laugh:

brucec32
11-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I like Merrell moabs with gortex as they are lightweight, grippy, water resistant, and seem to be well made. Around $100 and up new. I have a full season on my current pair and they are probably going to need replacing by spring. I was using Hi Techs before and these are better and last a little longer.

I cannot wear steel toed anything as they are too hot and heavy and I have decided I'm more likely to get injured tripping due to fatigue and the weight than I am shoving a foot into a blade on a mulching kit equipped mower which is what I use 75% of the time. Plus I use ZTR's for the other yards most of the time.

Triplex
11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
The only problem I've encountered with Timberlands is the soles are too soft to withstand stomping on a shovel without getting torn up.

For rainy days, I used to keep a pile of old sneakers so I'd always have a dry pair to put on - not as good as wearing boots, but who the hell can afford to keep 4 or 5 pairs of expensive work boots laying around?

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 11:51 AM
The only problem I've encountered with Timberlands is the soles are too soft to withstand stomping on a shovel without getting torn up.

For rainy days, I used to keep a pile of old sneakers so I'd always have a dry pair to put on - not as good as wearing boots, but who the hell can afford to keep 4 or 5 pairs of expensive work boots laying around?

Just buy one good pair. If you get Gore-Tex or similar, then you don't have to worry about wet feet and switching shoes.

Tennis shoes have no place in the green industry. If you are wearing them then you are taking a huge risk of hurting your feet, then you can't work. To me that evens out the fact that good boots cost more. A simple insurance so-to-speak.

ADVANCEDOHIO
11-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Redwing!!!!!!!!!!!

LewisLawn
11-25-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a pair of redwings that I first got when I was in highschool that was 15 years ago, still wear them to this day...there was a time period Iwasn't wearing them on a daily basis, I also have a pair of Carolina boots steeltoe purchased 10 years ago(worked in a mill at the time...both of these boots were over a 120 bucks back then...today I alternate between them...I recently trieda pair of timberland pros with powerwelt...these fit great would wear them anywhere when not working the powerwelt helped keep them clean first time I tried to work digging with a shovel tore right through the sole with the shovel before the job was doen had to have the wife bring me myRedwings so I could finish the job....no waranty on the timberlands Redwings do have some warranty

Bunton Guy
11-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Hands down Redwing boots are arguably the most comfortable and longest-lasting on the market.

Whatever you do, make sure you get boots with Gore-Tex. Gore-Tex is a bootie inside your boot that allows your foot to breathe while not allowing water through. I can literally stand in water all day for 12 hours and my feet will be 100% dry. My boots smell a little, but I've had them over a year. They're bearable, but any boot is going to have a bit of a stench.

Does this little "bootie" wear out after a while needing to be replaced?

Sounds like the majority vote is for Redwing.

TYCINC
11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Redwings. . . best and last boot I'll every buy

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Does this little "bootie" wear out after a while needing to be replaced?

Sounds like the majority vote is for Redwing.

Never Wears. I've pulled apart old boots and the booties is still intact. The soles and then the uppers are what wear out first on my shoes. Gore Tex will actually guarantee that their booties never fail, and I've yet to make a pair fail.

Redwings are good, but I still don't think they meet the same standards for durability, function, and support that a good hiking boot has and at the same price.

The only sole that I've found that I can't wear off in 6 months is the Vibrum Sole. Same sole the military uses, and supposedly the toughest sole you can buy. It is found on many different shoes.

Ultimately, after selling shoes for a short stint, you have to try on multiple pairs to find the right fit for your feet. I like ASOLO's for the narrower shoe.

Vasque, Wolverine, Merrel, Red Wings, etc.. are all too wide for my feet. I feel like I'm swimming in them.

moores
11-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I have to say I agree with all the redwing guys they are the best boots that I have tried Hands down and they are also very comfortable to wear.. I have tried timberland, Carolina,and Chippewa and I will never buy anythig else but a Redwing now

grass guys
11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Have you ever heard of Lawn Grips? I have had them for two seasons now and they are great. They feel great,waterproof,steel toed, and they last. I won't go with any other boot. Check the link out it is well worth it...

http://www.lawngrips.com/

CircleC
11-26-2009, 12:27 AM
I have read through most of the post and not one mention of Danner boots. I have been wearing them everyday for the last 4 years. They usually last for 1 year (side usually blows out when hanging x-mas lights) I get a new pair for christmas. I was like most and would buy the cheapest thing I could find, I started to get lower back pain and I decided to switch it up and buy something nicer. I will never do anything cheap again. My bro does work for the railroad and he swears by Redwing....so I might switch it up this year.

CircleC
11-26-2009, 12:31 AM
oh...Danner Boot. Radical 452.

topsites
11-26-2009, 02:00 AM
What do y'all wear when it's hot outside, not to mention even now...
Those things are made for the rocky mountains...

It don't get that cold where I live, maybe 30-40 degrees but once I get to working I hardly need a sweater.

After I finally got myself to buying better boots I found so far they were no better quality then my cheap wal-mart boots I had been buying.

Yup.

I've heard that there are a couple brands that have lifetime guarantee on the soles? that they actually screw in and out and they will send you a pair if they wear out?

Both pair's of timberlands that I bought had the soles fall off within a couple months. The current pair are "gorilla glued" on right now.

Hmmmm....
Mine it ain't the soles, it's the entire shoe.

I get anywhere from 30 days to 3-4 months out of mine, you think a set a year is bad, I been dealing with this *&%^ for 8 years.

Redwings?
For that kind of money I can buy 2-3 years worth of shoes, how long do they last?
Two to three years?
That's just more BS.

What difference does it make, these folks out there making shoes acting like it's something...
I ain't found a good set yet.

AI Inc
11-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Timberlands Suck. Hands down. Highly expensive and not built worth a darn.

I can't wear Red-wings, too large for my foot.

If you want the best boot, look into high quality hikers. I use Asolo's and are the only shoe I've found to last more than 6 months, gives me the stability and protection I need, and I've almost eliminated foot fatigue from the days work.

Merrel, (Wolverine), Asolo's, Vasque (red wing), Nike ACG's, and a handful of other hikers will work well and hold up. They are made to be walked on constantly unlike most work-boots for the construction industry.

Check out REI's website. http://www.rei.com/category/4500006

I always buy the gortex boots with the mesh uppers to help them breath. Their more comfortable than full leather boots, last as long as the soles, and my feet are dry and happy everyday.

I swear all general workboots are tested on Gov't employees, or union members. :laugh:

Ive been wearing Asolo's for yrs. Since they started making them in eastern europe instead of Italy, they are not the same boot. Almost have a made in china look and feel to em now.Just bought a new pair about 3 weeks ago and for $250 I think they will be the last pair of them I buy.

whosedog
11-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Die Hard Sure Track from Sears.Wore last pair for 2 years,still usable for painting and driveway sealing. I only wear boots with leather lining the ones with cloth inside make my feet sweat too much. Sears runs a sale on shoes buy one get 2nd pair half price that's when I buy them. They're so great I use them for my icon!:cool2:

cutterschoice24
11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
all i have ever bought has been red wing and they hold up great

93Chevy
11-26-2009, 09:28 AM
What I don't understand is how people that work outside can't wear Gore-Tex. Maybe we all have different pet peeves, but if my feet are even damp, my quality of work goes WAY down and I just wanna go home.

Valk
11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Waterproof and comfortable in the Summer = Goretex XCR (extended comfort range) is what's inside my Vasque Breeze Mid's. My feet have never felt better...especially after a day's work is done - and I walk everthing all year. Hikers work better for rough terrain than a workboot, imo.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7466-vasque/7466-vasque-mens-breeze-xcr-taupe-burnt-orange

RedMax_29
11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Texas Steer and Wrangler here lol. Cheap and comfy. I just cant justify buying $100 working boots. :dancing:

STIHL GUY
11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
i wear timberland pro steel toe and i do not have this problem. i have worked in mud up to my shins without that smell happening. did you try spraying them down with waterproofer?? or try to dry them with a backpack blower when they are wet. stuffing them with newspapers also helps to dry boots

93Chevy
11-26-2009, 05:29 PM
i wear timberland pro steel toe and i do not have this problem. i have worked in mud up to my shins without that smell happening. did you try spraying them down with waterproofer?? or try to dry them with a backpack blower when they are wet. stuffing them with newspapers also helps to dry boots

If you buy Gore-Tex boots from the getgo, you won't have to "dry" them. I can work in the rain and mud all day and my feet are warm and dry.

JCLawn and more
11-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I have a hard time paying for any of those. I bought my ozark trail boots at mall-mart for $20 lasted for the whole year. The stitches started to pull through. Never had a problem with getting wet. I think leather is a little over rated.

Blazerfb
11-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Get some Cabela's, kevlar, steel toed, 9inch. Have about 2 inches of sole, heavy but great. Completely water proof. Love em

JCLawn and more
11-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Get some Cabela's, kevlar, steel toed, 9inch. Have about 2 inches of sole, heavy but great. Completely water proof. Love em

those sound awesome

Jason Rose
11-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Waterproof and comfortable in the Summer = Goretex XCR (extended comfort range) is what's inside my Vasque Breeze Mid's. My feet have never felt better...especially after a day's work is done - and I walk everthing all year. Hikers work better for rough terrain than a workboot, imo.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7466-vasque/7466-vasque-mens-breeze-xcr-taupe-burnt-orange

DITTO. I figured you would have found this thread. Saved me from having to post all the info. I bought a pair this last spring and LOVE them. Most comfortable "boot" I've ever had. Lightweight, don't let in water, yet my feet don't get soaked with sweat either. I could wear them from 7am until 11pm and not think twice about it. Now that they are around worn out they are getting a little uncomfortable by the end of the day, but that's to be expected.

Junior M
11-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I wear Red Wing loggers and Justin slip ons all year around..

Not hot at all...

Thermocut
11-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I have had great wear and tear out of the LOWA brand hiking boots.

jeffslawnservice
11-26-2009, 10:21 PM
I bought a pair of Smith's Boots a year and a half ago. Only now are they starting to get homes in them. I go fishing in them and will stand in a creek (edge) maybe a inch or two of water and my feet are dry. I only spend $25 bucks on them.

laird006
11-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Lacrosse Boots, On my third pair in a few years, never any foot pain, never any back pain, even when standing on concrete.

green grass lawn care
11-27-2009, 10:05 AM
another redwing man here. i have worked on a drilling rig for 13 years befoere getting into the business. there is not another industry that demands more from a boot than the drilling industry. you are on your feet 12 + hours a day and working not just walking. it is mostly wet all day and if not wet than muddy and hot. i have had a pair of wing that lasted over 2 years on the rig. most lasted about a year. if you oil them and use the waterproofer on the once a month they will never leak. it has been about 6 months since i have oiled and proofed them and they are just starting to get wet. redwing no others for me. oh yeah and they are just as comfy as my house shoes. the key to breaking them in right is to wear 2 pair of socks for the first three days or so and then they are great. vince

lawnprosteveo
11-27-2009, 01:01 PM
I have read through most of the post and not one mention of Danner boots. I have been wearing them everyday for the last 4 years. They usually last for 1 year (side usually blows out when hanging x-mas lights) I get a new pair for christmas. I was like most and would buy the cheapest thing I could find, I started to get lower back pain and I decided to switch it up and buy something nicer. I will never do anything cheap again. My bro does work for the railroad and he swears by Redwing....so I might switch it up this year.Never had any Redwings but I just got another pair of Danners. Very comfortable and wear very well.

MikeKle
11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Try having to find a 4E boot!! It is tough having a wide foot. Ive bought a few pairs the last couple years and now i wear Dunham hiking boots, they are $160, and are pretty good, but not great. My last pair was Cabelas pro series 12" about the only boots that even offer a 4E width. I have seen some boot going for $300-$450., so they must be good or else no one would spend that on them? If anyone knows of a good 4E wide boot, please let me know, I dont mind spending any amount of money on a pair of boots that will make my feet feel good on those long days.

White Gardens
11-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I have read through most of the post and not one mention of Danner boots. I have been wearing them everyday for the last 4 years. They usually last for 1 year (side usually blows out when hanging x-mas lights) I get a new pair for christmas. I was like most and would buy the cheapest thing I could find, I started to get lower back pain and I decided to switch it up and buy something nicer. I will never do anything cheap again. My bro does work for the railroad and he swears by Redwing....so I might switch it up this year.

Love the Danner's. They make a great Logging boot. They also made a military approved winter boot that the soldiers stationed in Germany love.

lawnprosteveo
11-27-2009, 05:42 PM
You guys that love Redwings...which Redwing boot is your favorite?

MikeA57
11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Danner's come in various widths too. I just got a pair for hunting and they worked great. Very comfortable. Yeah, you do need to oil them though. I put Snow Seal on them and they never even thought about getting wet.

You may want to invest in a boot dryer too. They are worth their weight in gold and they don't cost that much...

bare spot
11-27-2009, 09:29 PM

almost bought that shoe, went with a pair of vasque's called synergyzer(not sure on the spelling) or something. almost the same, mesh so foot can breath a little. gtx, to stay dry during wet conditions. seeing some sole wear from the beating, walking they get, but think they held up ok (from other in past).

iluvscag
11-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Irish Setter Elk Tracker 880s, or Rocky Bearclaw 2.

Green Industry Pro
11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Im going to try Justin Chukkas. Their fairly lightweight and relatively inexpensive.Hopefully they will work for me.As for you,I dont know.You're the only one who can decide because you have to buy them by feel(my opinion). When it comes to footware, there are to many choices. sorry I cant help.:eek:

lawnprosteveo
11-28-2009, 09:05 PM
The only problem I've encountered with Timberlands is the soles are too soft to withstand stomping on a shovel without getting torn up. Are you talking Timberland Pro? Ive actually had pretty good luck with the old school type Timberlands. Usually can get them for under $70...although they are supposed to be waterproof...I will add some waterproofing to them. I can get a yr or two out of them. Overall not a bad boot for the $$$.