PDA

View Full Version : diesel walkbehind

warburton-mcdonald
11-25-2009, 08:35 AM
why don't they make a diesel walkdehind mower ?

Jason'sLawnCare
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Good question. Maybe one reason could be weight?

Gatewayuser
11-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Why do people ask this question on here ten million time a year? Weight and cost thats why.

z71tiger
11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Why do people have to be assholes and act like they own this site and know everything? Can't people ask questions on here without a prick having some smart ass comment?
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Why do people have to be assholes and act like they own this site and know everything? Can't people ask questions on here without a prick having some smart ass comment?
Posted via Mobile Device

Unfortunately, it gets worse as winter progresses.

However, some suffer from a condition called Rectal-Cranial Inversion(RCI)....
It's when they have their head, so far up their ass, their own heart beats it to death!

Gatewayuser
11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Search people search! :) Guess it did sound mean, didn't mean for it too :( . Sorry if I offended you warburton!

warburton-mcdonald
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Why do people ask this question on here ten million time a year? Weight and cost thats why.

If its a weight issue why does a stander work ?
If its cost, over the life of the mower v fuel,I would rather pay the extra on purchase.

MikeKle
11-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I have often wondered this and even thought about trying to fit a Yanmar 3cyl, 30hp diesel onto a WB frame, but it would have to be bigger than any WB today. Yes the cost would be more, but they offer diesel in ZTRs with a higher price and people buy them, why wouldnt they buy a diesel WB? And who cares about weight anyway?!! All my WBs are huge and weigh alot already, adding a little more weight wouldnt matter.

grassman177
11-25-2009, 11:55 AM
i want a small 21 hp deisel stander. that would be great, i am sure someone with good fabrication skills could modify one to fit, think of the torque!

zturncutter
11-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately, it gets worse as winter progresses.

However, some suffer from a condition called Rectal-Cranial Inversion(RCI)....
It's when they have their head, so far up their ass, their own heart beats it to death!

LMAO, got to remember that one. Was that what my wife was telling me was wrong with me the other day when I wasn't listening.

ADVANCEDOHIO
11-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Just the weight would be a good reason to not make one as it seems they are made for smaller turf areas and cost savings

GPDesign1
11-25-2009, 02:00 PM
why don't they make a diesel walkdehind mower ?

The primary reason we don't build a diesel model is cost. There are very few diesel engines of an appropriate size and the one's that are cost 3-4 times as much as gas. Other cost drivers include a much heavier deck clutch, vibration isolation, additional fuel filtration, bigger battery, etc. The costs get outta hand pretty quickly. Not much of a market for a $6-7000 walk-behind.

Plus, diesels are generally much heavier and fewer people know how to fix 'em.

But other than that... great idea! :laugh: :drinkup:

gp

grassman177
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
we buy 7 K standers now!

MikeKle
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Not much of a market for a $6-7000 walk-behind.

gp

I totally disagree! All you see around here is Exmark turf tracers, and they now cost near $9000. A diesel WB for $6-$7000. would sell like crazy!!! You all need to take another look at what walkbehinds people are buying!

integrityman
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
The primary reason we don't build a diesel model is cost. There are very few diesel engines of an appropriate size and the one's that are cost 3-4 times as much as gas. Other cost drivers include a much heavier deck clutch, vibration isolation, additional fuel filtration, bigger battery, etc. The costs get outta hand pretty quickly. Not much of a market for a $6-7000 walk-behind.

gp

Thanks for the response Gary.

One of the neat things about the folks at Better Outdoor is you can talk directly to the head honchos like Gary. Ive talked to Gary and Tommy about this and the engineering behind producing a w-b is significant. Gary has told me they investigated this a length. There was only one engine manufacturer that would even remotely fit the bill for this application and that was a manufacturer in Italy. There are certain things that will be unavoidable such as larger battery and more fuel filtration; however, these seem like fairly negligible issues. In terms of a heavier deck and clutch, this would seem like a relatively simple thing for the likes of Toro, Scag etc who use these products for their z units. Perhaps not for the guys at Better who's focus has been on the nimble walk behind market.

I hope that Better, Toro, Scag and other manufacturers keep the diesel walk behind concept in mind. Its a fine idea.

It wasn't all that long ago that aviation enthusiasts were looking for a more durable, fuel efficient engine and found just that in diesel. Yes, a diesel airplane engine.

I envision that diesel, in the future, will be the fuel of choice and preference for most commercial equipment...

MikeKle
12-15-2009, 09:25 PM
I would definitely buy one! And someone mentioned in an above post about they would probably cost around $6-$7K, Yep, this needs to happen! Can you imagine the torque on that WB or how long it will last? Its crazy no one has done this yet?

grassman177
12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
i would love to have the small 20hp yanmar diesel on a stander. they put it on a small zero turn that had little room for it!!

MikeKle
12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Last winter, I thought about how I could use the 30hp 3cyl Yanmar diesel on a WB, I thought about trying to find an old frame from a large WB like a turf tracer, and extend it to accomodate the horoz. shaft diesel. I figured I would have to run it thru a 90 degree angled gear box to make it a vert. shaft, but this WB would have to be pretty long, and still have to find a way to mount the radiator, hydro tranny or pumps? I am still wanting to try it, but do not have the extra money right now. Anyone else ever try something like this?

demhustler
12-16-2009, 02:50 PM
people put diesels on bikes - it'll be much easier to mod. w/b - you can use even existing diesel ztr rider's parts
i agree with GP - price and maintenance costs might be too high, higher than gas ztr rider;

though a few prototypes - as green projects - campaign symbols, show exhibits, etc etc - could be a good idea, as for big boys OEM, or school, or company cool garage project (- don't weight - do it yourself : )

p.s. same thing with hybrid or electric mowers- too expensive right now, but when gas prices will hit 5-6 $ again and go up and up - what going to be expensive then...

dandd75
12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
They kind of do make a diesel walk-behind: http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/html/bcs_implements.html
These are walk-behind tractors that have up to a 40" cutting deck as an implement, along with snow throwers, a chipper, trillers, and many others.
Earthtools themselves install the Lombardini Diesel engine on the BCS tractors and the Grillo comes with a Yanmar. And with the Zanon 40" cutter deck on the BCS 853 the price is under $8000.
Have not used them myself, but have seen them on farms in Germany, quite popular in Europe.

R.L. Hale Landscaping LLC
12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
a diesel walk walk be nice on a larger walk such as a 61 deck. i have a 25 hp 61 hydro walk and it seems to have enough power but it does burn fuel. a diesel walk say a 22 hp or something would be pretty good on fuel and powerful. id buy one if they made it

integrityman
12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
They kind of do make a diesel walk-behind: http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/html/bcs_implements.html
These are walk-behind tractors that have up to a 40" cutting deck as an implement, along with snow throwers, a chipper, trillers, and many others.
Earthtools themselves install the Lombardini Diesel engine on the BCS tractors and the Grillo comes with a Yanmar. And with the Zanon 40" cutter deck on the BCS 853 the price is under $8000.
Have not used them myself, but have seen them on farms in Germany, quite popular in Europe.

Doesn't Lombardini produce a small vertical shaft engine? Ostensibly could be used on a w/b mower? That said how many technicians or shops have you heard of that work on a Lombardini?