PDA

View Full Version : Echo vs Stihl/ kombi or pole saw??

lawnchopper
11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
I was thinking of tree trimming and shrub pruning as a side gig. Im not sure what to get. Ive used both sthil and echo products and their both good brands but echo is a little cheaper with their pole saw line.
Im not sure if I should get a pole saw or a kombi type system with other attachments so i can eventually have a weed trimmer, pole saw or whatever other attachments i want cause I eventually want to start mowing. However a telescoping pole saw i can get higher in the trees but is it worth the price $549-$699 if im not a all out contractor?? I figure i'd at least get a pole saw of some type now since i can trim trees in the winter.

dunno???

RonAyersMotorsports
11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
There Pole Saw is cheaper because it's mostly plastic components. That often have problems. STIHL has always has a better reputation than Echo on any type of saw, especially a pole saw. Purchase the STIHL and you won't regret it.

Alan0354
11-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I would get the real pole saw. Those attachment system never can reach too high. I was just looking into it a few months ago. I ruled out pole saw because I already have the Shindaiwa attachment series, I am a home owner and only have to cut stuff around my own house. I have look at all the brands, none can extend that high....even for my own use only. I end up not buying any and just use the cheap manual pole saw. At least it can reach higher!!!

Beside, attachment stuff sound better than it really is. The attachment are very expensive and the head is usually cost more than the regular trimmer. Your pole attachment is going to be about $250 regardless of brand and the head is going to be about $350.

If you really got to have the attachment series, Echo have 3' extension to add to the length. As I said, you end up spending more.

MONTE
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Stihl better than any echo intersting comming from a stihl dealer. I have used Echo Stihl and Efco pole saws. All of them are good I like efco the best but that is just me. Never had any problems with any of them and they all made me money. I will say this the echo started the easiest of all of them but none of them were bad about starting.

DT Lawn Care
11-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Stihl would be the better one probably. If you are just going to use it once in a while, check the Poulan Pro Pruner at Lowes, if you watch it goes on sale once in a while for $150. My dad bought one several years ago for $150, has used it quite a bit, still runs great today. It is detachable, like the Stihl or Echo power heads also.

tigerfan88
11-25-2009, 11:47 PM
:laugh:poulan pro at lowes:laughing::laughing:

green grass lawn care
11-26-2009, 12:04 AM
:laugh:poulan pro at lowes:laughing::laughing:

look i have to second that one here. i went cheap and tried to get a poulan pro hedge trimmer at lowes... the thing was sooooooooo aggravating. it wouldn't transition from idle to wide open with out coughing and dieing most of the time or having to feather it. the piece took a special star like wrench, no not a torx, to adjust the carb that no one had and couldn't find a poulan service center near me. took it back and am getting an echo monday. done with anything not pro grade, and just cause it says pro don't mean a thing. vince:hammerhead:

DT Lawn Care
11-26-2009, 12:10 AM
I said Stihl would be the best to go with. The Poulan was just a suggestion if he's not going to use it much. My brother has a Stihl KTM110 power head with pole saw which is no comparison, only it would cost like 4 times as much new.

Alan0354
11-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I said Stihl would be the best to go with. The Poulan was just a suggestion if he's not going to use it much. My brother has a Stihl KTM110 power head with pole saw which is no comparison, only it would cost like 4 times as much new.

I agree totally. It really depend how much you use. Cheap don't mean bad. I spent a lot of money on my lawn equipments and I can tell you the only two that never fail are the two cheapest one. I use all the precausion like Stabil, SeaFoam, Amsoil. Keep everything clean. If you use it for thousands of hours, then I agree the commercial ones are beefier. But if you talk about things just happen because of defects, mis adjustment, ALL brands, cheap or expensive are fair game.

My Honda expensive trimmer crapped out in 10 months because the manufacturer left metal fragments inside the carb. The Mantis gear box jammed in 5 months because they forgot to put grease in it!!!! My Maruyama BL8100 all of a sudden need 6 pulls to start but work just fine.

Then my cheapy Echo HC151 never miss a beat in 5 years, neither my cheap TroyBilt multi-tool trimmer. And I use old gas in them for the first 3 years!!! At the time, I don't know what is old gas, Stabil!!! I used Crapsman oil at 20:1!!!!

Go figure!!! I am sure if you fix them all up, the commercial ones are going to last thousands of hours, but if you only going to use few hundred hours or so, what difference? For 1/3 the cost, get in the business first and see how long you are going to be trimming branches.

Alan0354
11-26-2009, 03:09 AM
I looked up the pole pruner, Echo PPT265 adjustable unit can extend to 17' with 5' extension. I think that is the longest in the market. I really don't think the quality is that different between top commercial brands. I would go with the longest adjustable one.

wimpy
11-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I've used the Echo and Stihls before and they are both built solid but the Stihl's power is just way better than the Echo. I used the ppt 261 and 265 they are pretty much the same thing just that the 265 is more cleaner and fuel efficient. I tried the Stihl HT131 and that thing is a beast! Those 4 stroke engines they employ really puts out a lot of power. The main thing to look at is the durability on the shafts because I know the older Stihl HT75's had problems with them breaking too quick when guys had them in a pinch moreso than the Echo PPT261. But the current HT's all from 100 on up are fantastic.

fobaum
11-26-2009, 09:28 PM
My echo pp265 has been great , just like my old 261 .Although 265 seems more powerful, its a little more heavier, but better built. love my ECHO Power pruners!

BufalinoLand
11-26-2009, 09:48 PM
the echo is garbage the stihl blows it out. i have both. the echo snapped in half the first cut we made. dont waste your money. we did

RonAyersMotorsports
11-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm only 5ft 9" and I can reach our 17' ceilings in our building with the extendable STIHL pole saw.

Lazer_Z
11-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I would get the real pole saw. Those attachment system never can reach too high. I was just looking into it a few months ago. I ruled out pole saw because I already have the Shindaiwa attachment series, I am a home owner and only have to cut stuff around my own house. I have look at all the brands, none can extend that high....even for my own use only. I end up not buying any and just use the cheap manual pole saw. At least it can reach higher!!!

Beside, attachment stuff sound better than it really is. The attachment are very expensive and the head is usually cost more than the regular trimmer. Your pole attachment is going to be about $250 regardless of brand and the head is going to be about $350.

If you really got to have the attachment series, Echo have 3' extension to add to the length. As I said, you end up spending more.
You didn't even check Stihl's website for the facts did you? Stihl has 2 different types of extensions for the Kombi units, 1 is steel and the other is made out of carbon fiber. A KM110 has a DSRP of $329.95, the pole saw attachment is $209.95, KM130 is $379.99, the extension shafts are $59.95 for the steel and $109.95 for the carbon fiber one.

You can really only trim trees with an HT100 through the HT131. You can do multiple things with a Kombi motor, you can trim, edge, trim hedges, trim trees, sweep debris etc... It's up to you, the OP as to what you want to do. I have the best of both worlds being a contractor, I have a KM 130 R with a trimmer, edger and hedge trimmer as well as an HT101.

To the poster who recommended a Poulan "pro" from lowes, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard :laugh:. Nothing and I mean nothing in the box stores is designed for Pro's. That "saw" from lowes is a joke, a manual pole saw would be a better option.

Tharrell
11-27-2009, 01:12 PM
If you're a homeowner the best thing to do is rent one occasionally for $35-40 bucks at your local mower shop.
I just got back from my dealer with a new Echo 280 power pruner. They had all the handheld stuff on sale, 10% off. Carhartt was 20-40% off. I took a piece of equipment in to their shop and they had hundreds of handheld items, Stihl and Echo waiting to blow out the door, and they were! Tony

Alan0354
11-27-2009, 03:39 PM
You didn't even check Stihl's website for the facts did you? Stihl has 2 different types of extensions for the Kombi units, 1 is steel and the other is made out of carbon fiber. A KM110 has a DSRP of $329.95, the pole saw attachment is $209.95, KM130 is $379.99, the extension shafts are $59.95 for the steel and $109.95 for the carbon fiber one.

Read the post again, I was talking about the 17' long pole pruner. The current catalog show Stihl Kombi have 37" extension available, even with the 37" extension is no where close. From the picture, it won't be more than 12' total. That is too short. I did a lot of research, none of the attachment series is more than 12' unless you put in more sections of extension agains manufacturer's recommendation. Question is why limited to one extension? With the big 37cc KM130, heck, even the 31cc KM110, it should have plenty of power to drive the extra extensions. With two extension, now you are talking.

I can't say about the quality since I don't own any. But I can tell you that I wish so much to have the 17' long one to reach over 22 feet for me. I just cannot justify to buy a dedicated unit to do one time trimming.....It turn out the last storm took care of the tree!!!!:laugh::laugh: It even took out a section of my old fense so the city pay us for the fense repair.:laughing::laughing: