PDA

View Full Version : Too Late To Aerate ???

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
A maintenance client that I have requested an aerate, 3 days ago.

We've had a mild November over all, but I feel the ground temps are getting too cold to actually utilize an aeration.

But, on the other side of the coin, this is a newer construction home and the lawn could use an aeration just for the compaction factor.

Any thoughts ???? I Just told my client that I would see if it is worth it or not. Ultimately I don't want to take his money for nothing.

a plus bob
11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
I sold 3 this week. back in my chemlawn days we got a early snow they sent us out to aerate in 2 inches of snow :laugh: little turds all over white snow!

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I sold 3 this week. back in my chemlawn days we got a early snow they sent us out to aerate in 2 inches of snow :laugh: little turds all over white snow!

Yuck !!

I didn't know if there was any negatives to aerating now, but I really don't think so.

So what would you charge for 12,000 sq. aeration ?? I've never priced a yard this large before ? I'm thinking it would take me around 1 hour to walk it.

turfcobob
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
A maintenance client that I have requested an aerate, 3 days ago.

We've had a mild November over all, but I feel the ground temps are getting too cold to actually utilize an aeration.

But, on the other side of the coin, this is a newer construction home and the lawn could use an aeration just for the compaction factor.

Any thoughts ???? I Just told my client that I would see if it is worth it or not. Ultimately I don't want to take his money for nothing.

You can aerate up to a hard freeze if you want to. The soil will move all winter and help loosen up for spring root growth. If you really want to see something impressive put down some fert after aeration. The first time I did this I was amazed at the spring green up. I was like 2 / 3 weeks earlier than my neighbors. The food was at root level right when the new spring roots needed it.

a plus bob
11-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Yuck !!

I didn't know if there was any negatives to aerating now, but I really don't think so.

So what would you charge for 12,000 sq. aeration ?? I've never priced a yard this large before ? I'm thinking it would take me around 1 hour to walk it.

$150.00 in my area. Time more like 30-40 min

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
$150.00 in my area. Time more like 30-40 min

That's about the ballpark I was thinking. Thanks

I'm giving myself an extra 20 minutes, I like to get every nook and cranny.

White Gardens
11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
You can aerate up to a hard freeze if you want to. The soil will move all winter and help loosen up for spring root growth. If you really want to see something impressive put down some fert after aeration. The first time I did this I was amazed at the spring green up. I was like 2 / 3 weeks earlier than my neighbors. The food was at root level right when the new spring roots needed it.

Sounds like his original lawn applicator isn't apllicating anymore, or doing aerations.

The lawn didn't grow worth a squat this year. Thin, mowed too short, and brown when we've had a year that it should have looked great.

So, my first step is to go ahead and do a soil analysis. I've noticed one area of the landscaping that isn't doing so hot and I suspect there is a PH issue in the soil in this bed and in the lawn.

Ultimately I want to wait until I get the test results before I do any sort of fertilizer to know exactly what is going on.

Smallaxe
11-26-2009, 07:48 AM
For 12k of turf, I would add a pickup load of compost in a compacted recent construction site after aerating, to get that in the holes. Even better than fert. That will be your best long term help, no matter what the soil test says.

You are aware that the freezing and thawing is one of the best compaction reducing mechanisms out there , correct? For compaction issues I would have the client wait until after Memorial weekend, when 5 or 6 mowings have compacted the soil again.

foreplease
11-26-2009, 09:20 AM
On closely mown turf the risk of aerating too late in the season is winter dessication around the edges of the holes. I don't think you need to worry about it on a home lawn. If they have an irrigation system chances are it has already been winterized. That could be a problem if you don't know where things are.

I agree with turfcobob: take the opportunity to get some fertilizer down. If the site needs any phosphorus getting it down while holes are open is a good idea.

If they are going to aerate once a year doing so after Memorial Day seems like terrible timing to me.

93Chevy
11-26-2009, 09:50 AM
What about aerating in the early spring, then fertilizing and dressing? I only ask because I'm doing some landscape renovation work for a client, and I'd like to get his yard, or what's left of it after I'm done, looking nice for the coming year.

I don't mean to hijack, but I thought I might get the answer here :waving:

foreplease
11-26-2009, 10:19 AM
93Chevy,
Generally the knock on spring aerating is that it invites crabgrass problems. However, in the course of putting a lawn back together after a big project it is probably a good idea as it will stimulate growth. Topdressing will help too. The mix should be chosen with the existing soil in mind and should contain some compost.

93Chevy
11-26-2009, 10:49 AM
93Chevy,
Generally the knock on spring aerating is that it invites crabgrass problems. However, in the course of putting a lawn back together after a big project it is probably a good idea as it will stimulate growth. Topdressing will help too. The mix should be chosen with the existing soil in mind and should contain some compost.

Thanks for the info. I'm still working on the design now and he wants to start in spring. I can understand the crabgrass problem. My idea was to stimulate growth, and it would be a waste of money to aerate this year, just to tear half the lawn up for new beds. Thanks again!

White Gardens
11-27-2009, 02:47 AM
For 12k of turf, I would add a pickup load of compost in a compacted recent construction site after aerating, to get that in the holes. Even better than fert. That will be your best long term help, no matter what the soil test says.

You are aware that the freezing and thawing is one of the best compaction reducing mechanisms out there , correct? For compaction issues I would have the client wait until after Memorial weekend, when 5 or 6 mowings have compacted the soil again.

The house was built in the early 80's I do beleive, but I still call it a newer construction as it is a subdivision that you would find anywhere now. What I mean is they stripped the dirt, built the house, highly compacted, and was probably used as a parking lot during the construction.

On closely mown turf the risk of aerating too late in the season is winter dessication around the edges of the holes. I don't think you need to worry about it on a home lawn. If they have an irrigation system chances are it has already been winterized. That could be a problem if you don't know where things are.

I agree with turfcobob: take the opportunity to get some fertilizer down. If the site needs any phosphorus getting it down while holes are open is a good idea.

If they are going to aerate once a year doing so after Memorial Day seems like terrible timing to me.

No irrigation.

I'm not going to throw down fert just because I think it needs it. He's had the lawn fertilized every year on a schedule and if that is the case then it should look good now by that rational.

I'm going out on a limb, but I'm guessing the PH values are off thus affecting the Cation Exchange and binding the phosphorus in the soil and not letting the turf utilize it.

So ultimately it would probably be a wasted application.

oasis2010
12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
12,000 sq ft aeration 168.00 $ Thats what I charge . We deal with larger yards mostly our average yard is 12,000.