PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE GIVE THE YOUNGIN ADVICE ON 61 inch FERRIS

dhunterd08
11-25-2009, 05:26 PM
hey everyone. I cut about 23-27 smaller residential yards consistently this year with a 36 inch gravely(amazing) and a 26inch snapper. As much as I love my gravely i think its time to move up, as i want to bumpt that up to 30-35 next summer. I was looking at this 61 inch Ferris? I am not very familiar with Ferris, but from what i have heard it is a good machine. I found a 52inch gravely hydro for 3000 that i should have bought, but i haven't been able to touch that since then. If the link does not work its just a 61 inch Ferris Hydro walk behind with 420 hours for 3500. I think i bought my gravely from this guy and he takes excellent care of his equipment. Let me know what yal think. Thanks for the help

dhunterd08
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry guys here is the link http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/1481648620.html

MikeKle
11-25-2009, 05:38 PM
I just bought a Ferris WB 61", 23hp kawi. It is a huge mower and very powerful. It does take some getting used to though. Mainly the drive system, unlike other WBs, on the ferris, you move the hydro stick forward while it is in motion, it took me forever to get used to this! And the whining from the hydros is common, so nothing is wrong, thats just the way they are? Sometimes if you get it on a steep hill, it will kinda stop and seem to lack the power to climb it, but when it does this, you just push down on the controls, and this gives it a boost of power. I had to learn this from a friend that had one. Other than those little quirks, its a great machine, and cuts great! Takes alot to bog one down too! Just remember to grease the deck spindles every day! For that price its well worth it.

MikeKle
11-25-2009, 05:43 PM
I just looked at the ad, that is the newer model,and does not have the same drive system as mine. For that price for a newer one, I would jump on that! They wanted close to $7500 around here for that model, but I bought the 2008 for $5500.

dhunterd08
11-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Thank You very much for the advice. Do you know what kind of drive system that one has? Do you think it is too big for residential stuff? I do mow on a lot of hills. Do you think that will be a problem?

mowerbrad
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I bought a 60" dixie chopper earlier this season and do mostly residentials around 1/3 acre sized lawns. I will say that it was a little big for what I was doing. I will be switching to 54" and 48" mowers for next year. But the 60" could be used on all my properties, but was just too big for what I would have liked.

If I were you, I would look into getting a 48"-54" mower instead.

TomberLawn
11-26-2009, 12:39 AM
That's a nice mower and a good price. I've got the 52" version and love it. Great cut quality and easy handling.

DT Lawn Care
11-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Wow only 420 hours on the elec PTO? Early failure there... It looks like a beauty, you shouldn't have many problems with it. As for the price that's your decision, you decide whether a $3500 machine can be justified by your profits. Good Luck

Alpha Property
11-26-2009, 09:44 AM
i would really think about the hole 60inch thing.... around here i would only be able to get a 60 on front yards and corner houses, and it would be very over sized for front yards. i find with my 48inch its even a little tight getting it around, have a good look at the houses you do and the areas you would like to expand into and see if you think you would be able to use the 60 on enough of them to justify buying something that big

MikeKle
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
They are big WBs, but I use mine on smaller residentials as well with no problems. I think they addressed the drive system issue on the newer ones. Plus it has the easy deck height adjustment knob, mine has the regular 4 corner pins, and a 61" deck gets heavy to lift sometimes!

dhunterd08
11-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for your help everyone i really appreciate it. I think a 52inch would probably serve me better, it just seems like a great deal, and i know this guy takes excellent care of his stuff and i know he would take 3k for it. It is basically being subbed in for a ZTR, because the walk behind is just so much more versatile. I am young though i can make a couple extra strips lol.

2 clowns mowing
11-26-2009, 04:46 PM
we've ran ferris for the last 5 years great machine. best one to buy now is the 2000 with bigblock 30hp engine handles real nice. test drove the 3000 hated it, steering was very sloppy. only problem with ferris is the discharge is too small so in wet grass it will clump up fast but dry grass discharges great. still running our 1500 with 48: deck 21 hp kaw never broke down all summer. don't use it as much but still use it a lot considering. we run 797jd, rich mfg convertible mower, walker ghs mower thinking of buying a 2000 demo 61"cut for next year.