PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Gloves

JB1
11-25-2009, 05:06 PM
to me I really don't care as long as I have some on my hands, how about you all.

If this topic goes real well , maybe we can talk about socks.

Mickhippy
11-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I wear one, gel padded anti vibration glove on my left hand! Does that count?

Its actually true! lol

JB1
11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
I wear one, gel padded anti vibration glove on my left hand! Does that count?

Its actually true! lol

don't even wanna know what thats for.

Mickhippy
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Vibrations man, vibrations!!!!!!!!!!

unkownfl
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
cheap ones from northern tools 12 pairs for like 6 bucks or something like that just plain gray ones. Socks I like Hanes long ones when I wear boots short ones when I wear tennis shoes.

tjwalkingon
11-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Wish I'd quite losing mine, bet I lose a couple pair a month.

hockeypro1411
11-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Hate wearing any kind of gloves. It's just not the same.

topsites
11-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Hate wearing any kind of gloves. It's just not the same.

Same here but when it's cold I like to wear white water rafting gloves, tough, durable, insulated and water proof.

The rest of the year I can't stand the heat, plus I like to feel what I'm doing.

Richard Martin
11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I get mine off of eBay. They're those cotton ones with the blue or red grippers. They're all I need. I got like 36 pairs for about $36 shipped.

Columbia Care
11-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I wear High Impact gloves from tractor Supply Company. Cost me around $20 but one pair lasts me all season.

grassman177
11-25-2009, 09:59 PM
i gety the leather palmed landscaper style gloves form walmart or the like, i use them only to mulch in spring and when the weather is a bit nippy.

STIHL GUY
11-25-2009, 11:45 PM
i dont wear gloves. i just cant deal with them. unless im in th snow

JPsDuramax
11-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Normally I go without gloves, but when I do I use the leather ones from Red Wings. They are about $30/pair, but they are def worth it.

topsites
11-26-2009, 01:40 AM
I wear High Impact gloves from tractor Supply Company. Cost me around $20 but one pair lasts me all season.

Oh no, no :nono:

White water rafting gloves are made of Neoprene, I forgot to mention it's tough, durable, insulated, water proof and cheap!.
And I mean Water PROOF, you can't get water through the material.
Keep my hands warm, dry, and I can do the roughest work in these yards and they don't mess me around, the material doesn't break or tear.
Now the good news with Neoprene is even if you do get water inside like through the arm opening, it still keeps your hands warm.
Yes sir, you could be loading ice chunks for all I care, that's what they're made for.

I'm still on my first set, bought them 8 years ago thou I do need a new pair now because they are wore out.
All right, I lied, they do wear out in time.
Cost me about $20-$25...

Here's an example, just googled these:
http://aff9809.cascadeoutfitters.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2604

I bought mine at Wal-Mart thou lol, not sure if they still carry them.

dg37615
11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Check out Ringers gloves. Best I have ever used by far.

Rayzorsedge & Happy Grass
11-27-2009, 06:31 PM
DG, how do the fingertips hold up? That is where I have the most trouble, all the fingertips wear out on my gloves.

dg37615
11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
they have held up for me pretty well. the inner portion is leather lined with a gel insert. on sale for around $20. get the "impact" style.

Yater
11-27-2009, 07:29 PM

White water rafting gloves are made of Neoprene, I forgot to mention it's tough, durable, insulated, water proof and cheap!.
Keep my hands warm, dry, and I can do the roughest work in these yards and they don't mess me around, the material doesn't break or tear.
Now the good news with Neoprene is even if you do get water inside like through the arm opening, it still keeps your hands warm.
Yes sir, you could be loading ice chunks for all I care, that's what they're made for.

I'm still on my first set, bought them 8 years ago thou I do need a new pair now because they are wore out.
Cost me about $20-$25...

http://aff9809.cascadeoutfitters.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2604

I can't imagine wearing neoprene ANYTHING in the summer around here. There's no doubt that the material is durable and waterproof though.

Toy2
11-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Hate wearing any kind of gloves. It's just not the same.Leather ones, all the time.....my Mexi buddy just tore a chunk of meat off his right hand last week, he was on the 36'' WB and turned in a yard, picket fence has a nail sticking out............ripped him good, it was his first yard, after that he had to go see a doctor, blood everywhere......now he has to wear some type of brace, I guess the dr stated he pulled muscles in that hand as well???????

Always wear gloves, you never know....

metro36
11-27-2009, 08:00 PM
I most of the time if it is warm I don't wear gloves but I do have a pair of iron clad rancher gloves the I use when trimming hedges or doing tree work. For the cold I have a pair of insulated string knit gloves with a rubber palm which are good for late fall cleanups and I have a pair of carhartt insulated waterproof gloves for when I am out shoveling snow.

WH401
11-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Personally, I couldn't see working without gloves, I can count how many times I've had my hands saved from injury because I was wearing gloves. In the warm, and slightly cooler months, I like to wear a thinner glove, it helps the skin breathe better. Earlier this year I was using these gloves, http://www.dickiesgloves.com/ProductDetail.asp?BrandID=2&CategoryID=1&ProductID=74, but they were down right horrible. After about a week they had holes in 3 of the 10 fingers, and the leather was turning the palms of my hands yellow. I replaced them with these gloves, http://www.mechanix.com/the-original-grip-glove, which are a whole lot better. The fingers are a lot thicker and so I haven't had any issues there, and because of the "grip" feature you never have a problem with grabbing things. IMO, you can't go wrong with any Mechanix Wear gloves.

rvpkanapsky
11-27-2009, 11:18 PM
With as much as I lose gloves I usually go with the cheap ones

bobcat48
12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Bump. I have a pair of ironclad landscapers gloves.they were around $25 on amazon just got them like 2 weeks ago.so have not used them yet..but they are real nice gloves,i really liked them.so thats why i got them,and i too bought a pair of custom leathercraft storm gloves.for snow and working and doing stuff in winter.these are two great gloves.i love these gloves.but the ironclads will be used for landscaping maybe doing mulch ,mostly for trimming bushes i will use them for.

bradseabridge
12-23-2010, 08:31 PM
mechanix are way to expensive, I used to use them. I use firm grip or whatever gloves from Home Depot now, they are like 9.99 for the all purpose ones that's what I use. They wear a LOT slower than mechanix and fit better as well. Try them before you spend $30 on an inferior product.

93Chevy
12-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I wear gloves for two reasons.

1. Thorns in the summer. I just wear a light nitrile glove. Heavy palms, breathable back.

2. Snow work in the winter. For that I wear Cabelas Roughneck Gore-Tex insulated gloves. I take care of a ton of sidewalks and calcium chloride destroys gloves. These have lasted the longest, but I can only seem to get 1 winter with a pair. And yes, I do wash and condition the leather regularly.

Other than that...I never wear gloves. I like calloused hands. I'm not a freaking pencil pusher. My hands bear the scars of work for the world to see.

bradseabridge
12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I wear gloves because I have a condition where my hands always sweat. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to hold anything in my hands without slippage.

rain man
12-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Have a pair of Columbia "Fast Trek Omni-heat" fleece gloves under the Christmas tree.

Like wool socks for cold days, find they feel pretty good most any day (merino wool). They also make them with moisture wicking materials mixed in to keep your feet dry.

corey4671
12-23-2010, 09:28 PM
gloves? me? nah

vinnieobrien
12-23-2010, 09:34 PM
^^ hahahahahahaahahhahhahahahahahahahhah

Agape
12-24-2010, 01:27 AM

Cost me about $20-$25...

I'm gonna look for those for the winter, I like mechanix gloves for summer(hot, but I use the backs of em to dab sweat fm. my brow and keeps me from bleaching my t-shirt shoulder by wiping with it).

I got some dipped ones from harbor freight but not the thick rough ones, theyre black and smooth, can feel more.

nothing like new socks right out of the package (aaaahhhhhh!) when I get rich, i'll use em as disposables.:laugh:

CircleC
12-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Only wear gloves in the spring when its cool out and fall for clean ups.....

Socks: Smartwool....some just above the ankle or calf high. Everyday no matter the temps...try them and you will never go back to cotton.

Roger
12-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I only wear gloves for:

1. Cold weather, Spring or Fall (sometimes double gloves in the Fall, especially when sitting on the ZTR)
2. Working with rough debris, e.g. cleaning up brush, cutting trees, etc
3. Working with something nasty, attempting to keep my hands clean
4. Working with heavy duty handles (e.g. digging bar)

Other than those times, bare hands, ones that get callouses.

when wearing gloves, I use the simple ones -- got a bag at Harbor Freight, 6 pair for $8.00 (?). One pair lasts two years. I'm going to get old before the bag of six wear out. Oops, ... already am old.

RHS Lawncare
12-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Best ive found extremely tough cool in summer warm in winter and super soft and you can feel with your fingers to work on small stuff my 2 cents

ArTurf
12-24-2010, 07:48 PM
I prefer to work without gloves for the most part. I like to feel what I am doing. When it does get cold enough I wear mechanic type gloves I bought from Harbor Freight for about $6. They have good dexterity while keeping my hands warm enough. When I am working with firewood I use heavy leather gloves to stand up to the abrasion.

Patriot Services
12-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Mechanix quick fits for me. Too many things with fangs, teeth, spines and poisons around here.
Posted via Mobile Device