PDA

View Full Version : solo backpack repair/maintenance question...

LawnoftheMonth
11-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I cant get any pressure when I pump the handle, so I bought the piston pump repair kit to see if that helps. Now how do I get the piston cylinder loose ;)?
The instructions say to rotate it counter clockwise but that isnt happening.

Any tips?

CHARLES CUE
11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
dont have solo sprayer but if your trying to get a hose on try a little lube on the hose
and i find that on my back pack sprayer i have to lube the piston one a year

another thought if you cant get pressure check the check balls or valve they get stuck some times from the pesticides just some thoughts Hope this helps a little
Charles Cue

Marcos
11-25-2009, 09:06 PM
I cant get any pressure when I pump the handle, so I bought the piston pump repair kit to see if that helps. Now how do I get the piston cylinder loose ;)?
The instructions say to rotate it counter clockwise but that isnt happening.

Any tips?

Here:
http://www.sprayer-outlet.com/pdf/solo.pdf

I recommend spraying some silicone lube on the bolts & letting it soak in B4 trying to loosen.
Otherwise they might strip or break.

GravelyGuy
11-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Those things are a PITA to work on. Both of mine were acting up the last couple times I used them. The secret is to store them empty and keep em clean.

LawnoftheMonth
11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Here:
http://www.sprayer-outlet.com/pdf/solo.pdf

I recommend spraying some silicone lube on the bolts & letting it soak in B4 trying to loosen.
Otherwise they might strip or break.

thanks, step # 7 was left out of the instructions that came with the repair kit. :drinkup:

Marcos
11-25-2009, 10:21 PM
thanks, step # 7 was left out of the instructions that came with the repair kit. :drinkup:

no problemo!
That Houston Texan football team rocks! :cool2:

LawnoftheMonth
11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Those things are a PITA to work on. Both of mine were acting up the last couple times I used them. The secret is to store them empty and keep em clean.

You arent kidding, it's easier to just spend 90.00 on a new one, but i want to at least learn how to tear one down and put it back together since i'm this far into it. (and i did buy a Shurflo electric to use in the mean time).

LawnoftheMonth
11-25-2009, 10:34 PM
no problemo!
That Houston Texan football team rocks! :cool2:

Oh man, I love my Texans football! The last 2 missed field goals have caused me great grief, lol.

Thanks again, I'll report back after step 7, I'm not messing with it tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

bx24
11-26-2009, 08:55 PM
You arent kidding, it's easier to just spend 90.00 on a new one, but i want to at least learn how to tear one down and put it back together since i'm this far into it. (and i did buy a Shurflo electric to use in the mean time).

I agree. I have had good luck with mine (non-piston and 6 years old)..If it goes, in the trash it does..Not worth the time.....

LawnoftheMonth
11-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Success! the backpack works better than before now. To get the piston cylinder out I drilled two holes in it and stuck a screw driver through the holes and twisted it off, the old oil filter trick. It bent my screw driver too, lol. :)

ArizPestWeed
11-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Wow , you must have a lot of time on your hands !
I would never try replacing the pump .
I'd buy a new one and start with a clean slate .
My time is more important and valuable than trying to change one out