PDA

View Full Version : Rip Rap

cclllc
11-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I have to add rock to a low spot which drains off a parking lot.I plan to make it 8'x20' and maybe a foot or so deep.Has anyone here done any of these?I plan to use shot rock from a quarry. I know about how much I'll need but not sure of how to price the labor.I need to rent a skid steer I guess to spread the rock.Any help would be appreciated.

klaf
11-25-2009, 10:53 PM
A job like this should be pretty easy to price out. First you have some set costs that are pretty easy to account for. The cost of renting a skidsteer, don't forget about fuel and float charges for it. Are you picking up the riprap or having it delivered? Call your provider and find out how much a tonne it is and their trucking rates. Don't be scared to mark this stuff up a bit since you are spending time dealing with getting everything in order. Your time is not free.

Do you have to do any excavating to make the swale for the rip rap? IF so are you going to have to haul excavated materials offsite and dump somewhere? Is filter cloth necessary under the rip rap? Is it easy access to the work area or will you be wrecking any surface such as sod? If so make sure to price in the cost of new sod and topsoil to repair the amount of expected damaged area.

This sounds like a 1 day job so labour should be pretty easy to figure out. How much do you want to make after all is said and done? I don't know the going rates in your area so giving an actual price would be useless.

Hope this helps.

cclllc
11-26-2009, 12:23 AM
I think it should be no more than a 4 hr. job.The area is pretty much already dug out just from the washing.It just needs the edges done.I may haul the rock myself but I have a guy lined up to haul if not.The skid steer will be delivered. I have never done one this big so I was wondering what a ball part figure some of you guys were getting.

klaf
11-26-2009, 01:54 AM
One thing you have to realize about small jobs is that the cost is greater vs. the size then it would be when comparing it a larger job. You still have the same setup times for a 4hr job as you would for a 4 day job. PLus you probably won't be moving on to another job after so a good portion of your day is wasted.

When renting a skidsteer there will be a flat daily rate whether you use it for 1 hour or 8 hours.

So say the machine costs you 200, 30 for fuel for the skidsteer, the rip rap costs you say 400 (not sure how much you need). Markup say 10%, don't forget your travel time say an hour before and after and your labour. Make sure you add the appropriate taxes as well.

Personally I probably wouldn't do a job this small because a) don't have the time and b) customers have a hard time comprehending why the price is so high for such a small job and they always try to nickle and dime you or call you ridiculous.

But I would have to say that it sounds like it would be about a thousand dollar job. Thats in Canadian dollars.

cclllc
11-26-2009, 04:22 AM
Well it is a long time commercial customer and it would actually benefit me as far as less to mow and trim.It is hard to service as is.

Az Gardener
11-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Drainage work can bite you in the azz if you don't know what your doing. If you think you can just dump rip rap in a eroded out swale and it will be fine your mistaken. At least if the client has eyes and cares what it will look like after the next big storm.

If you just fill the erosion created swale the water will just erode around the rip rap and you will end up with another channel on one or both sides of your rip rap. The proper way to do this is to dig out the swale and hand place each stone like a puzzle or pavement so the water drops in from the street or parking lot and follows the path of the swale. If it is too high the water goes up and around and you just have the same problem in a different place. If you have a bend in the swale you have the potential for the water to wash up over the side and begin chewing away at the soil.

This is just a very brief general description of what needs to be done. I used to have a sq ftg price fore swales but it has been 15 years or so since I did that kind of work so I don't even remember what it is. I do remember this, I had some guys who could do a great job and the swales are still working great today 20 years later and others that we were repairing or completely re doing after one season.

Just a word of caution.

cclllc
11-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I am over doubling the size so it should work fine as far as the flow is concerned.

Isobel
11-26-2009, 04:33 PM
The area is pretty much already dug out just from the washing.It just needs the edges done.I may haul the rock myself but I have a guy lined up to haul if not.

Even something that seems like a small job still needs to have a well laid out plan. Placing Rip Rap on washed out areas won't solve the problem. That's like putting a band-aid on a broken arm.

If you really want to keep your client, solve the problem. Channel the water away from the edge.

cclllc
11-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Even something that seems like a small job still needs to have a well laid out plan. Placing Rip Rap on washed out areas won't solve the problem. That's like putting a band-aid on a broken arm.

If you really want to keep your client, solve the problem. Channel the water away from the edge.

It flows fine.It slopes away from the p'lot into another ditchline.I think they just want to get away from the messy wet look .

Az Gardener
11-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Why is it people ask for advise and then when you take your time to give, for free I might add, your advice based on years of experience. They tell you why they are right and your experience is not relevant?

cclllc
11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Why is it people ask for advise and then when you take your time to give, for free I might add, your advice based on years of experience. They tell you why they are right and your experience is not relevant?

Not sure if you are directing that at me or not but I do appreciate all any any ideas suggested.My main concern was how to price the job not how to do it.But again thanks for everyone's input.