PDA

View Full Version : Termites!

Runner
11-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Does anyone have any experience dealing with termites? My girlfriend brought a box of Christmas decorations up from her basement, and sure enough, it had holes chewed in the bottom, and larvae in it. It is an older city type house, and this box is kept in an old coal room at the front corner of the house. Now, mind you...her old front covered porch (all wood) is in need of replacement, as the flooring is even soft in some spots. I'm sure she has wet and bad wood under there which is DEFinitely going to need to be completely rebuilt next year. What I am wondering, is what type of termiticide should be used, and do I need to drill in to any wood if I notice any hollow spots, and will something like bifenthrin be effective for this. Anyone with structural experience, I would GREATLY appreciate the help.

greendoctor
11-26-2009, 01:03 AM
No bifenthrin. I would rather treat with Termidor(fipronil) or Premise(imidacloprid). "Thrins" simply chase termites to non treated areas.

Greg Amann
11-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I 2nd greendoctor.

We do termites here in Florida and only offer Termidor (a non-repellent) as is Premise.

Ric
11-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I 2nd greendoctor.

We do termites here in Florida and only offer Termidor (a non-repellent) as is Premise.

Runner

I'll will go with the flow and say Termidor also. I no longer do termites because of Liability issues. The advantage to Termidor is it will be carried back to the main Gallery. While the Placement of termiticide is important, Termidor will offer better control because it gets in the food chain.

Last time I checked 20 oz bottles of Termidor were GUP that you can purchase. Larger Size packaging was restricted To those with Certifications from the Manufacture. To get that Certification just go to this Website and sign up and take the training and get a partner Number, it is free. By doing this you should save money and get some good training.

http://www.termidoronline.com/ProductTraining/

BTW There are now Bird Dogs that can sniff out applications of Termidor or more correctly Fipronil the active. There was a very Big Pesticide company doing nursing homes that was caught misusing Termidor with these bird dog sniffer type equipment. All CPO in that company lost their certification and were fined big time along with the company. It is not over because now they are facing Liability law suits also. If the state ever lets them get re-certified the Insurance industry will never write a policy on these people because of the big hit they are taking on this with law suits.

PS I just got off the Phone with your old Buddy Larry Stone who called to wish me Happy Thanksgiving. He is alive and well and mellowed out quite a bit from the old days here at LS.

bx24
11-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I love Termidor but with online, there is no such thing as restricted anymore.

Ric
11-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I love Termidor but with online, there is no such thing as restricted anymore.

bx24

That is some of the poorest advice ever given on Lawnsite. First you will pay twice the price for Termidor on line and Second Termidor can be purchased by anyone from Lesco or any other long list of suppliers in 20 oz bottles.

BTW RUP pesticides are regulated by the EPA. They can not be sold on line unless a certified operator signs for them. RUP records are inspected regularly. GUP pesticides with Agriculture Labels that no longer carry Horticultural label can be purchased on line at higher prices. But it is cheaper to purchase them from Agriculture suppliers like Helena or CPS the same as the on line providers.

On Line purchases of Pesticides is for Homeowners and Amateurs. However some sites do try and offer free education about insects and there control.

bx24
11-26-2009, 10:05 PM
bx24

That is some of the poorest advice ever given on Lawnsite. First you will pay twice the price for Termidor on line and Second Termidor can be purchased by anyone from Lesco or any other long list of suppliers in 20 oz bottles.

BTW RUP pesticides are regulated by the EPA. They can not be sold on line unless a certified operator signs for them. RUP records are inspected regularly. GUP pesticides with Agriculture Labels that no longer carry Horticultural label can be purchased on line at higher prices. But it is cheaper to purchase them from Agriculture suppliers like Helena or CPS the same as the on line providers.

On Line purchases of Pesticides is for Homeowners and Amateurs. However some sites do try and offer free education about insects and there control.

Bud, you need to look around here...many people I know bought Termindor without issues, and still do.. You need to look online more..I had one person say it was over 800 beans to drill etc for the bugs and the bottle was about $60....Oh boy.

Again, Amateurs etc can look online and buy it pretty cheap and the "pros" are doing nothing more then the label...Then need to talk a good game so they can get the 10 to 20X the price...Sad ..

So do not push the BS for issues that are pretty simple. Look at it from the other way.

Ric
11-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Bud, you need to look around here...many people I know bought Termindor without issues, and still do.. You need to look online more..I had one person say it was over 800 beans to drill etc for the bugs and the bottle was about $60....Oh boy.

Again, Amateurs etc can look online and buy it pretty cheap and the "pros" are doing nothing more then the label...Then need to talk a good game so they can get the 10 to 20X the price...Sad ..

So do not push the BS for issues that are pretty simple. Look at it from the other way.

bx24

Sorry but you are a typical Yard Boy with out the first clue. You can buy Termidor from local suppliers with out paying the shipping cost of the On Line Stores. Next you have no Idea what termite control involves or the Education that goes with it. The Label doesn't even start to explain knowledge of Structures that is needed to do proper Termite Control. Insurance for Termite companies is very high because Termite contracts have a very high number of Law suits. Marketing cost are higher because termite control is not a reoccurring service. State Pesticide inspectors spend 90% of their time inspecting Termite companies and Termite companies receive more fine and those fine are much higher than Lawn companies. I am only listing some of the expend and hassles of doing termites legally. To operate a Termite company all you "T" must be Crossed and you "I" must be dotted. If it was as easy as you think it is then people would low ball the service. The mark up over chemical cost is a necessary evil in order to stay in business because other costs must also be met.

BTW I gave up my Termite license because of problems it involves. But I will also admit because termite work can be hard to make money doing, some will choose to scam customers in order to survive.

bx24
11-27-2009, 09:01 AM
well that is wrong. In some states it is restricted but again does not mean much. I also live in Katy and would not buy it. Labor is cheap and let locals do it. Dime a dozen.

But the funny thing is my neighbor called a place, not starting with a T in my city, well know up here and he did 100% what the label called for (you know the law). LOL

My advise is unless it is fed restricted you can find it online. And I could careless how a Termite companies works. I would never hire one.

rcreech
11-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Ric,

Bx is a homeowner and he likes to argue with us that do this for a living!

I think you are wasting your time!

I will not argue with a homeowner that doesn't share the experience and knowledge of a professional.

Ric
11-27-2009, 09:36 AM
well that is wrong. In some states it is restricted but again does not mean much. I also live in Katy and would not buy it. Labor is cheap and let locals do it. Dime a dozen.

But the funny thing is my neighbor called a place, not starting with a T in my city, well know up here and he did 100% what the label called for (you know the law). LOL

My advise is unless it is fed restricted you can find it online. And I could careless how a Termite companies works. I would never hire one.

bx24

Fact of Law: It is illegal to ship a pesticide across State lines that is GUP in one state to a state that list it as a RUP or doesn't register that pesticide for use in their state. Now I am not saying it doesn't happen.

From your Know it all attitude in this thread I am willing to bet you are unlicensed but still apply pesticides for profit.

Bottom line with all the failed Termite jobs that end up in court, Why would you want to put yourself at risk by DIY???? The pot odds of $ 800.00 paid to a Termite company compared to a $ 200K home is a much safer bet. But Little people with little minds somehow like to try and beat the odds.

YOU MAY HAVE THE LAST WORD, I AM DONE HERE.

bx24
11-27-2009, 06:43 PM
bx24

Fact of Law: It is illegal to ship a pesticide across State lines that is GUP in one state to a state that list it as a RUP or doesn't register that pesticide for use in their state. Now I am not saying it doesn't happen.

From your Know it all attitude in this thread I am willing to bet you are unlicensed but still apply pesticides for profit.

Bottom line with all the failed Termite jobs that end up in court, Why would you want to put yourself at risk by DIY???? The pot odds of $ 800.00 paid to a Termite company compared to a $ 200K home is a much safer bet. But Little people with little minds somehow like to try and beat the odds.

YOU MAY HAVE THE LAST WORD, I AM DONE HERE.

You are right it is illegal but many onlines still do it. Not my issue and many many sell it along with others.

Yes, I am non-licensed for this work now and do not care. I use it on my own property along with others things that "pros" use. Again, not to hard to understand here. Just making a point here that restricted does not mean much.
The fear of "what if" is a little old and most times a biz says that to justify their prices. I get the same crap on lawn ferts, lawn sprinklers etc. It might work on the little minds (your customers) but it is not too hard here. Or a nice upsell if people cannot do some reading.

you are rcreech must love eachother; each on is the gold standard but cannot say why if someone asks.

PS, I do not need a lic in Katy TX (my other home) since I get non-english speaking people to do it...:)

rcreech
11-28-2009, 08:47 PM
you are rcreech must love eachother; each on is the gold standard but cannot say why if someone asks.

:laugh:

Thanks for the laughs bx!

thunderdawg
11-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Runner

Last time I checked 20 oz bottles of Termidor were GUP that you can purchase. Larger Size packaging was restricted To those with Certifications from the Manufacture. To get that Certification just go to this Website and sign up and take the training and get a partner Number, it is free. By doing this you should save money and get some good training.

http://www.termidoronline.com/ProductTraining/

Thanks for the link! Got my partner number.

bugthug
11-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have any experience dealing with termites? My girlfriend brought a box of Christmas decorations up from her basement, and sure enough, it had holes chewed in the bottom, and larvae in it. It is an older city type house, and this box is kept in an old coal room at the front corner of the house. Now, mind you...her old front covered porch (all wood) is in need of replacement, as the flooring is even soft in some spots. I'm sure she has wet and bad wood under there which is DEFinitely going to need to be completely rebuilt next year. What I am wondering, is what type of termiticide should be used, and do I need to drill in to any wood if I notice any hollow spots, and will something like bifenthrin be effective for this. Anyone with structural experience, I would GREATLY appreciate the help.

I do a lot of termite work . If you have any questions pm me and i will help you if I can.

ted putnam
11-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Try getting a home with a mortgage without a termite contract from a "professional"....won't happen!!!!

thunderdawg
11-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Not true in my case. Inspection - yes; pest control contract - no.

Ric
11-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Try getting a home with a mortgage without a termite contract from a "professional"....won't happen!!!!

Not true in my case. Inspection - yes; pest control contract - no.

In a way you are both correct. In most states any Termite work requires a contract. The pre mortgage Termite inspection will have a contract also.

There are those companies that only do inspections and no treatment. And Companies that only do treatment but not inspection. It has more do to with the ""ERRORS & OMISSIONS INSURANCE"" which is very expensive. But watch for the companies that give free mortgage Termite inspections, They will always find Termites.