PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Ridge's Water Features

Twitchy
11-27-2009, 01:25 PM
It's a rainy day, and i have nothing to do, so i'll start a water feature thread. I'll start w/ my first ever install. This pondless is 5 yrs old, and still runs everyday w/ the original pump. I strictly use Auqascape products everytime w/out any problems. Mostly all of my water feature are built using moss rock. The last pic was taken about 2yrs ago. Enjoy.

Mike

Twitchy
11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Some pool waterfalls that i've built.

pitrack
11-29-2009, 02:40 AM
Very Nice looking falls

sicnj
11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
really like the work esp the stone placement and plant selection real natural

Twitchy
11-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks sicnj, making it look natural is the hardest part. I hand pick a lot of my rock from different sources, so i know what pieces i need (especially the spill stones). I kinda put the waterfall together in my head as i pick through piles of rock.

Twitchy
11-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Very Nice looking falls
Thanks for checking out my thread pitrack.

csl
12-02-2009, 08:14 PM
you didnt do those pavers around the pool did you???

Twitchy
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
you didnt do those pavers around the pool did you???
If you're talking about the 1st set of pics. I didn't, that is the original pool patio (about 18yrs old). The newer pool patio pics were done by me (Unilock Brussells, Cambridge tumbled)

csl
12-03-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah i was talking about the first pics, sorry should of made that clear. how did you do your base under the uni-lock??? i have another pool we are doing in the spring, and we have about 2000 feet of pavers to do around it. i was going to do like we do in the past and pour a concrete reinforced pad, 1" of sand, then pavers. just getting more input.

Twitchy
12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
yeah i was talking about the first pics, sorry should of made that clear. how did you do your base under the uni-lock??? i have another pool we are doing in the spring, and we have about 2000 feet of pavers to do around it. i was going to do like we do in the past and pour a concrete reinforced pad, 1" of sand, then pavers. just getting more input.
I've done the reinforced concrete before with new and old pools, but by the customer's request. I personally like installing on RCA (3/4 blend). If the base is done right it shouldn't settle. 9 inches of blend is under the unilock patio, and 3/4 inch sand.

csl
12-04-2009, 10:28 PM
RCA??? is that what you guys are calling your minus crush gravel?? what did you do for compaction? if i get a plate compactor anywhere close to a pool, then the pool guys flip there lid. i had one contractor actually collapse a pool because he left the water running next to the pool all weekend, forgetting to turn it off.

Twitchy
12-04-2009, 11:04 PM
RCA??? is that what you guys are calling your minus crush gravel?? what did you do for compaction? if i get a plate compactor anywhere close to a pool, then the pool guys flip there lid. i had one contractor actually collapse a pool because he left the water running next to the pool all weekend, forgetting to turn it off.
Recycled Concrete Aggregate is the base material we use out here. I tamp large sqft projects w/ a Wacker 3545 reversible tamper in 5'' lifts. Most of the new pools that are installed around here are cement wall pools and vinyl liners. 8''-10'' poured walls aren't going anywhere.

Twitchy
12-04-2009, 11:38 PM
I love the bottom spill stone on the waterfall. It took almost a full day just to set the spill and 6 big stones on the bottom.

Twitchy
12-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Not the best pic though...

pitrack
12-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Looks good man

4 seasons lawn&land
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
nice stuff. Especially like the poolside work. Are you using any mortar to secure the rocks at the pool edge or are they tieing back somehow. They look like they could fall in any minute. I mean that in a positive way, Im sure they arent going to actually fall in.

what type of rock is that on the first page 7th picture?

Twitchy
12-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Looks good man
Thanks pitrack

csl
12-05-2009, 01:11 PM
yeah we cant used recycled concrete for any fill around here. the make it, but we cant get it to pass inspection or offer a warranty. and even on gunite pools my guys wont let us compact. we can hand tamp, but thats it. we usually end up beefing up the rebar to a large size and space at 12" intervals.

Twitchy
12-05-2009, 01:18 PM
nice stuff. Especially like the poolside work. Are you using any mortar to secure the rocks at the pool edge or are they tieing back somehow. They look like they could fall in any minute. I mean that in a positive way, Im sure they arent going to actually fall in.

what type of rock is that on the first page 7th picture?
The lg boulders are mortared (type s) to the pool's cement wall(coping). The smaller stones around the waterfall are foamed so they don't leak water or move around. Moss rock is the stone that is used to build that waterfall.

Twitchy
12-05-2009, 01:24 PM
yeah we cant used recycled concrete for any fill around here. the make it, but we cant get it to pass inspection or offer a warranty. and even on gunite pools my guys wont let us compact. we can hand tamp, but thats it. we usually end up beefing up the rebar to a large size and space at 12" intervals.
When available i try to get DOT approved RCA, that stuff looks like snow. When compacted w/ the right amount of moisture, it basically turns into cement.

Twitchy
12-05-2009, 01:38 PM
A little snow cover

pitrack
12-05-2009, 05:47 PM
The lg boulders are mortared (type s) to the pool's cement wall(coping). The smaller stones around the waterfall are foamed so they don't leak water or move around. Moss rock is the stone that is used to build that waterfall.

Moss rock is my favorite type of rock to use on waterfalls. It just looks so natural with moss growing on it.

Twitchy
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
One of my favorites.

pitrack
12-18-2009, 01:54 AM
^^Nice, very natural looking.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Very nice! Nothing is more fun than having a blank canvas.

tadpole
12-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Excellent work! Really breaks up that stark barren look that most in-ground pools have.

Twitchy
12-19-2009, 05:08 PM
^^Nice, very natural looking.
Thanks again pitrack, btw your website looks really nice.

pitrack
12-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Thanks again pitrack, btw your website looks really nice.

Thanks man, yours looks great.

xclusive
12-21-2009, 02:12 PM
wow all those water features look awesome!! great job!!

Twitchy
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
This my smallest pool waterfall that I've built to date. Came out nice though.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
what do you do to control the water flow after it exits the pump??

Twitchy
12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
what do you do to control the water flow after it exits the pump??
I use an aquascape biofalls, that is hooked up to the supplied 2'' pool line. Most of my pool waterfall installs have their own separate pump, but this one ran off the entire pool system pump (kinda weak). There's a company called pondbuilder that makes a really nice spillway that i might start using next yr. Their design is more compact than aquascapes and comes in 4 sizes.

AEL
01-03-2010, 09:15 PM
beautiful work twitchy

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I use an aquascape biofalls, that is hooked up to the supplied 2'' pool line. Most of my pool waterfall installs have their own separate pump, but this one ran off the entire pool system pump (kinda weak). There's a company called pondbuilder that makes a really nice spillway that i might start using next yr. Their design is more compact than aquascapes and comes in 4 sizes.

What type of pump do you use for the seperate pump? Do you like using the biofalls for the spillways over pouring a concrete bowl? I also started using Pond builder products but I still like ADI's horizontal filter mats design but hate the rest of the skimmer design/attaching points.

Twitchy
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
beautiful work twitchy
Thanks Sean.

Twitchy
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
What type of pump do you use for the seperate pump? Do you like using the biofalls for the spillways over pouring a concrete bowl? I also started using Pond builder products but I still like ADI's horizontal filter mats design but hate the rest of the skimmer design/attaching points.
The separate pump is installed by the pool co, most customers plan on having some type of water feature so the line and the pump are there waiting. Some of the pumps are monsters too, i"ve had to install regulators on some of them to control the pressure. As for the Aquascape biofalls i've used them for the last 4-5yrs w/ out any problems. Concrete bowls, i don't trust it. Even using Aqu Fin waterproofer i don't feel comfortable. Concrete cracks plain and simple. 3yrs ago i installed a lg planting for a customer that had a $200,000 gunite pool, waterfall and 4000 sqft patio installed. The pool company did the waterfall (piece of $hit) and poured a cement form and bowl, the following yr i visited the property, both the waterfall and bowl showed signs a cracking. People have a love hate relationship w Aquascapes, personally i have no problems. My first pondless install is going on 5yrs with no problems, the same old style pump runs everyday. Bissett Nursery is a local Aquascape dealer and always have everything in stock. Probably the main reason i use the Aquascape products is the service and availability. I was thinking of using the Pond Builder spill way because of its compact design and cheaper price. The four sizes is nice too.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm on the fence about Aquascape. I don't use any biofalls anymore. I like making my own and I think they look more natural. I prefer thier skimmers since they are the only company that I know of that has horizontal filter mats. Vertical mats always turn into a dam since most customer won't clean them. Hopefully they fix the thread inserts in the signature skimmers since they always get cross threaded. The ADI pumps just plain suck. I've had them last 5 years and as short as 6 months. Honestly submersible pumps have a rough life being in all kinds of junk 24/7.

I look at it like this if the customer has the coin for a "Caddilac" water feature I use ADI, if not I use PB or other pieces.

lawnMaster5000
01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
The ADI pumps just plain suck. I've had them last 5 years and as short as 6 months. Honestly submersible pumps have a rough life being in all kinds of junk 24/7.

Do you use submersible pumps and if so what have you found to be more reliable than the ADI?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Do you use submersible pumps and if so what have you found to be more reliable than the ADI?

That's all I use is submersible pumps for Ponds and Waterfalls. On waterfalls going into a pool than that can be an external pump usually provided by the pool company.

I started using Anjon "Big Frog" pumps about a year and a half ago and they seem to be doing well so far. I really can't say if they will last or not since they are so new. They are located out in O'fallon if you want to try them out. They are reasonable price wise and seem to flow close to the advertised specs. I wish I knew what was up with adi pumps because some last 5 years and some only last 6 months.

pitrack
01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
That's all I use is submersible pumps for Ponds and Waterfalls. On waterfalls going into a pool than that can be an external pump usually provided by the pool company.

I started using Anjon "Big Frog" pumps about a year and a half ago and they seem to be doing well so far. I really can't say if they will last or not since they are so new. They are located out in O'fallon if you want to try them out. They are reasonable price wise and seem to flow close to the advertised specs. I wish I knew what was up with adi pumps because some last 5 years and some only last 6 months.

I have used the Big Frog pumps as well, they are a nice product. I have also used "monsoon" pumps, little cheaper and can't stand as much head as a Big Frog, but they still work well and are a bit cheaper.

Twitchy
01-14-2010, 11:50 PM
I know that the ADI pumps are sometimes undependable, but i can't complain because my dealer just gives me a new one when the older one breaks.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I know that the ADI pumps are sometimes undependable, but i can't complain because my dealer just gives me a new one when the older one breaks.

Same here, but when they go out after 6 months and the customer has to pay a service call people usually get mad at the installer. I now try to warn people of the limitations of a submersible pump hoping for the best. Don't get me wrong I owe a lot to ADI since they are the reason I'm a pondbuilder. I just wish they would listen to the installers somtimes.

Twitchy
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Built this sm backyard pond using moss rock and an Aquascapes micro pond kit w/ an upgraded pump. The pond was dug to be 3ft deep at customers request. He has a major raccoon problem w/ fish being stolen from his sm pond that he built yrs ago. Most installs i build from grade up, this one i built from grade down. Kinda weird. No machine help on this one either. Had some heavy ass boulders, not fun. Turn out really nice though.

CGSI
03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
This is some of the nicest work I have seen here. Although I personally am not a fan of the equipmnet line, your waterfalls and spill ways are killer! Great job!

Twitchy
03-18-2010, 02:05 PM
This is some of the nicest work I have seen here. Although I personally am not a fan of the equipmnet line, your waterfalls and spill ways are killer! Great job!
Thanks CGSI, i try... I sometimes hate aquascapes too, but it's so readily available by me can't pass it up. Plus i get great deals and service through my distributor. Thanks for checking out my thread, got some other killer jobs that i haven't posted just yet.

Twitchy
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Built this pondless w moss rock and an aquascape signature series kit. Total build time 2 days, no plants The customer wanted a real natural waterfall w no big spills. It amazed me that impatients would grow right in the water. Pretty cool.

Twitchy
06-24-2010, 10:56 PM
A couple more pics minus the purple impatients.

pitrack
07-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Very nice man looks great. Those flowers look great in there too.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Very nice! I had a customer that put impatients in her stream and they took over. Big time! You couldn't even see sections of the stream. Nice accent but prune as needed.

Tim R.
07-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Good Job Twitch,

Your waterfalls are getting much, much better. You got rid of the pearl strings for a more natural look. Way to go! Nice rock selection and placement.

TurboMazda
07-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Beautiful work, just perfect.................................

Pondmeister
02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Twitchy,

Really like the pool with the boulders on the pool coping. Do you have pics during construction? What mortar did you use? Any leak issues...mortar side?

Thanks