PDA

View Full Version : Rented a br600 (magnum)

Yater
11-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm looking for a new brand of blower and I've had enough of my local redmax dealer. I figured $40 for a 2-day rental would give me enough time to figure out the stihl. I have 4 leaf cleanups to do this weekend...I'll report back with a comparison to the ebz7001 and ebz8001. I really want to like the stihl...the dealer is rock solid.

Sammy
11-27-2009, 02:16 PM
You will like it.

tigerfan88
11-27-2009, 02:17 PM
i used to sell and use redmax. but went exclusive stihl a few years back. most of my customers have converted to the br600. some had reservations at first, but once they used them, they were hooked.

Kartanimal29
11-27-2009, 03:00 PM
My buddy just bought one a few weeks back. He's been talking about it since day one on how great it is. He came over and did my yard the other day with it WOW :eek: That thing was crazy. I have a 145 Husky, I know POS , that I thought worked good but this unit was crazy. I might even buy one to do my yard and my pops place. He was done in a mater of no time , where it would of taken me another hour maybe to complete the job.

Yater
11-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Backpack blowers pay for themselves VERY quickly. I hope to get a few years out of my next set of blowers. In this case, I really like the dealer. I've heard the good and bad about the previous br600. I can handle a valve check/adjustment every once in a while, and really like the fact that this one is ~7lbs lighter than the 8001.

Yater
11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
My buddy just bought one a few weeks back. He's been talking about it since day one on how great it is. He came over and did my yard the other day with it....

I need a friend like that.

santafe
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Backpack blowers pay for themselves VERY quickly. I hope to get a few years out of my next set of blowers. In this case, I really like the dealer. I've heard the good and bad about the previous br600. I can handle a valve check/adjustment every once in a while, and really like the fact that this one is ~7lbs lighter than the 8001.

backpack blowers really make that much difference? do others agree?

Yater
11-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Others will have to answer that, but I wouldn't offer leaf cleanups if I didn't have a nice BP blower. Considering that I do leaf cleanups for $100-$500 dollars, and a BP blower costs <$500, well...add it up. In fact, I wouldn't try to make money mowing either if I didn't have a top-of-the-line blower (whatever brand).

LALawnboy
11-27-2009, 08:31 PM

Over the years, I've used everything from a handheld blower to Echo's biggest (755t which I have now). Regardless of whether you simply cut grass or offer full-blown leaf cleanups, backpacks make your life easier. True, handhelds seem lighter and many people make a great argument for their easy to "pick up and go" capabilities. However, the more debris you have to blow, the longer you have to hold that blower, which negates their ease of use. Backpack blowers simply blow away handhelds in power comfort, and time to complete a job.

Since I started mowing, I've used almost every blower Echo makes (Echo is all I run). I started off with a handheld and eventually moved up to their midsize backpack at the time (403t), later to a 620 and now the 755. Someone once posted on here that the only reason you see so many different levels of blowers is simply because of price and I couldn't agree more. Mid-level backpacks, although they looks like they have a lot more power on paper, are not that much more powerful than a handheld.
If money is tight, don't waste your money on a midsize. Simply buy the best handheld blower you can and start saving for the top of the line backpack. It is well worth the investment.

With all that said, I would love to try out a BR-600 Magnum someday. The only problem is that the only two Stihl dealers in our area are not very good at customer service, while my Echo dealer is top notch.

Richard Martin
11-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Make that much of a difference over what? A rake or hand held blower?

When I first started out I had a partner. All we had was a couple of rakes and a Craftsman hand held blower. We did a leaf cleanup that took the 2 of us 2 days to do. With my BR600 helping I could get that job done in a matter of a few hours by myself now.

Yater
11-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Make that much of a difference over what? A rake or hand held blower?

When I first started out I had a partner. All we had was a couple of rakes and a Craftsman hand held blower. We did a leaf cleanup that took the 2 of us 2 days to do. With my BR600 helping I could get that job done in a matter of a few hours by myself now.

That's what I'm sayin'! I have 4 cleanups this weekend ranging from $120 to $300. I'd probably spend a full day on the $120 job with a rake and tarp. The cost of a $500 blower is a non-factor over the course of a season.

GracesLandscaping
11-27-2009, 09:18 PM
whoever was talking about a handheld vs backpack i will give me .02 about that. i used a backpack (stihl br 420 magnum) which i still use now. well one day it didn't start and i was busy and went to buy a new one and got a handheld cause i thought it would be easier cause it was lighter. finally i got tired of not having power and got the backpack back out and timed myself on this one lawn with thick grass and it has lots of pavement to blow (circle drive and sidewalk all the way around house) the back pack blower saved me 10 minutes just in blowing grass off. they are way better. the handheld is now in my dads garage so he can blow off his patio and driveway occasionaly :)

STIHL GUY
11-29-2009, 12:22 AM
BP blowers definitly make a diffrence. mine paid off so quickly

WJC
11-29-2009, 02:02 AM
I've been in and out of the lawn bus. for 30 years, and I just bought a BR600. It is the most powerful backpack that I have used. I can feel my Right shoulder pushing forward against the thrust from the tube. My echo 620 is like farting into the wind compared to this thing.

topsites
11-29-2009, 03:51 AM
Yeah, handhelds are a great tool to hold in my left hand while I operate the backpack with my right,
also good for nooks and crannies, and tricky or not very dirty gutters.

But I didn't have a handheld until my 4th or 5th year, it's not really that necessary.

AmGreen
11-29-2009, 10:29 AM
My buddy just bought one a few weeks back. He's been talking about it since day one on how great it is. He came over and did my yard the other day with it WOW :eek: That thing was crazy. I have a 145 Husky, I know POS , that I thought worked good but this unit was crazy. I might even buy one to do my yard and my pops place. He was done in a mater of no time , where it would of taken me another hour maybe to complete the job.

It's not a POS, it's just lacking in power. Try the 185bt, you'll be amazed.
Posted via Mobile Device

yz250fpilot
11-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I have had my EBZ8001 for at least 3 years now. In my opinion, it is the best blower I have ever picked up. Leaf cleanups are made very simple with this beast.

RedMax_29
11-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I have had my EBZ8001 for at least 4 years now. In my opinion, it is the best blower I have ever picked up. Leaf cleanups are made very simple with this beast.

X2, I love my redmax eb 7001, my dad brought one in 2003 and it still works like the day he brought it. We beat on it every lawn job, fall cleanups, hasnt failed me yet lol. The 8000s like you said, its a beast. Just a lil heavy but its a tool for big boys,lol:usflag:

Yater
11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
After using the br600 for a couple of days, I can say that it blows the ebz7001 away. It's on par with the power of the 8001. Unfortunately, I didn't rent the magnum like I though I had. Refilling every 20 minutes or so is a pita, especially since the tank is still half full. I know the new ones have corrected this.

The br600 starts with about 1/2 of a pull and is ready to rock the second I get it on my back. This is VERY nice in contrast to the redmax ebz. The stihl is also nice and quiet...and throttle response is immediate, while the redmax needs to "wind up" (not a big deal).

The stihl demo video with the sled is bogus. This thing makes good power, but it's concentrated in a tiny area compared to the 8001. The 8001 is more productive when moving huge piles of leaves.

I think I will buy a new br600 magnum simply because this is the lightest and most comfortable blower I've ever used. I know about the past reliability issues, but with a 2 year commercial warranty, I can't lose. That thing will pay for itself in a couple of days and I'll remember why I bought it every time I pick it up. I'll keep the 8001 just in case.

nicholsmowingservice
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Backpack blowers are deff worth the money.. I have a stihl 550 BP blower. Wish i would have spent the lil extra money for a 600 but very happy with what i have.