PDA

View Full Version : Price of Retaining Walls

gstros2
11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
How do you charge for a retaining wall? Do you charge by each block and then add the labor? If you do charge by the block, how much? Thank you!

kootoomootoo
11-27-2009, 04:53 PM
depends how much beer I need that week.

gstros2
11-27-2009, 05:30 PM
pppppfffffffffffffffttttttttt.......hahahahahahahaha.....good one funny guy....sike haha

klaf
11-27-2009, 08:10 PM
It all depends on the type of job. Each site will have different issues to deal with. How is the access, what type of block are you using, how high is the wall, do you need grid behind the wall.

All of these things need to be accounted for and will differ from job to job. Retaining walls can be one of the hardest things to price. After doing a couple you will figure out your things you might have missed in your pricing. But I would advise against just giving a square foot price.

Bru75
11-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Material + time (only you can decide what that's worth) + overhead + profit.
Every job is different, charging by the sq. ft. or by the block is not advisable.

PSUturf
11-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I factor several things into the price for a wall:

-How many square feet of block will be used for base course? (It takes a lot longer to install these blocks than the rest of the wall)
-How many square feet of block will be used for the rest of the wall?
-How much material needs to be excavated for the wall, how long will it ake to move it on site or to remove it from site?
-If geogrid is needed how much additional soil needs to be excavated and reinstalled?
-Time and materials for drain pipe and gravel behind the wall.
-How long will it take to get the block from truck to wall? will it be moved there by hand or machine?
-Is block cutting required? (more labor)
-Will there be lawn repair?
-Is the customer indecisive, likes to talk your ear off, extremely picky? Charge more.

csl
11-30-2009, 12:17 AM
i dont think i have enough fingers and toes to count how many times this question has been asked. PSU got it just right. how many factors do you have?????

PatriotLandscape
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
depends how much beer I need that week.

well what if it is the only job you will have for 3 weeks. you need to factor that in also.

kootoomootoo
12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
hmmmm,

ok add 30%

ps. How much do I charge to mow a lawn.

PatriotLandscape
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
5 bux less then the guy they just met with. how else do you plan on getting ahead in this business.

csl
12-02-2009, 11:39 AM
and what type of block are you installing? do you have any equipment?

wurkn with amish
12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Koot if the yard is all down hill charge more to mow!

kootoomootoo
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
They said if I do good work mowing the yard they will refer me a lot of work......so I think i should do it for free...

tturbonegro
12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
sq ft, size, material, access, location, commercial, residential, etc..

S&S Outdoor Services
12-28-2009, 02:54 AM
You could get yourself certified through the NCMA SRW course and they'll go over estimates and all that good stuff along with everything else you need to know about it

qualitylandscaping
02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
How do you charge for a retaining wall? Do you charge by each block and then add the labor? If you do charge by the block, how much? Thank you!

We work with several different brands. Typical block runs from $7.60-$29.80 per face sq ft...

There is no way to tell you how much to charge per block, unless I just say charge $9.00 for it... You need to understand your costs, and how much the material will cost.

Block is designed for specific applications. Some are made for high walls, some are double sided (when the wall is visible from two sides i.e a sitting wall). Then there are corner pieces and caps.. ALL DIFFERENT PRICES!!

Rocha_Construction
02-18-2010, 09:56 AM
If you are asking that question, you are better off NOT building that wall.

I dont want to be harsh, but retainining walls over 4' need permits and sometimes engineered plans.

If you are trying to charge per block + labor, you have NO clue of what goes behind and under a retaining wall and you are just going to build a hazard.

Trust me. Do not put in your mouth more than you can chew.