PDA

View Full Version : Pansies and Preen

lawnspecialties
11-27-2009, 05:36 PM
My pansy beds are struggling this year. They seem to be fairly healthy but are very weak in the blooms. I have many nice green plants; but that's all.

One thing I did this year was apply Preen to the beds plus fertilizer. Although the label lists a ton of flowers that Preen is safe for, it doesn't list pansies. I just figured they'd be OK with all the other flowers listed.

Any ideas as what might be my issues? I'm doing another bed of pansies tomorrow and leaving the Preen out. I hope they do much better.

Ric
11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
My pansy beds are struggling this year. They seem to be fairly healthy but are very weak in the blooms. I have many nice green plants; but that's all.

One thing I did this year was apply Preen to the beds plus fertilizer. Although the label lists a ton of flowers that Preen is safe for, it doesn't list pansies. I just figured they'd be OK with all the other flowers listed.

Any ideas as what might be my issues? I'm doing another bed of pansies tomorrow and leaving the Preen out. I hope they do much better.

lawnspecialties

Yes. It might be that Chemical Root Pruning by the Preen that is causing your problem. I checked several Pre emerge labels and didn't find Pansy listed. The Hair root of the pansy might be effected the same as a freshly germinated seed is. Your Weed problem might be better solved by using Newspaper as a ground mat and placing mulch on top. The Newspaper will decompose and add to the soil.