PDA

View Full Version : 2009 weirdest hassles - anybody else?

americanlawn
11-27-2009, 04:47 PM
I have two:

a) Rural route Bondurant, IA. July 2009: On my way to diagnose tree problems for an existing lawn care customer (service call), I got a call on my cell phone while driving to her location. The phone call was from my CPS rep discussing (serious) prices, so I parked my truck on a rural driveway to continue my phone call & while trying to make a making a buying decision.

While discussing prices with my rep, the "homeowner" drove up. This (upper eighties) man pulled up beside my pickup & stopped his car beside me, then gave me a dirty look. He did not move his car and continued to give me a dirty look. So I put Jeff on hold and kindly explained to the gentleman that I pulled off the rural blacktop highway to answer my phone because that's what folks are supposed to do for safety reasons according to the D.O.T. Well that mad him even more angry.

His responded by saying, "In my lane?????"

I left his driveway and parked across the highway, knowing that I was actually parked on "county property" --- not his, cuz there's about a fifty foot right-away that belongs to the county.

b) Last month. I treated a long-time customer's property in Ames, IA. (winterizer granular fert).

Her juniper shrubs in her front yard were quite mature and had actually grown onto her neighbor's property. So to treat the south side of her lawn, I actually had to 'enter' her neighbor's lawn by about 3 feet to access her side yard.

When I arrived at the south side of her lawn, the next door neighbor saw me and said I was trespassing on his property. I politely explained my dilemma, but this guy would have no part of it. I had a spreader full of fert, and the junipers were 4 foot tall. So I was "boxed in" on the south side of our customer's lawn. Couldn't go anywhere. Fortunately, I had my cell phone. I called Ames cops. They arrived within 10 minutes.

Guess what the outcome was. :laugh:

Anybody else experience weird individuals this year? rscvp, thanks.

punt66
11-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Well i dont think their is aything weird about a guy being annoyed that your parked in his drivway talking on the phone. I would think that was weird if i came home to that as i am sure you would. Your second story was a little weird. I have an interesting one.

I removed 6 dead tall oaks from a wealthy clients property. They were dead because the site contractor backfilled over the roots during construction. I am chipping the branches when the home owner drives in. She starts freaking out. She asked what i was doing. I pulled out the signed contract and showed her what i was doing. She looked shocked. Her husband accepted it without her consent i guess. She then begins to yell at me because i was "destroying the branches". ha? So i asked her what should i do with them. She said to drag them to the woods at the edge of her property so the wild animals have a place to live. hahahha Took 2 months to get paid!

grassman177
11-27-2009, 05:03 PM
nice second story Larry, i will have to think a bit to come up with some, i have a few in mind already.

sprayboy
11-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Someone bragging about how much better their ride on is.

ted putnam
11-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Someone bragging about how much better their ride on is.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

phasthound
11-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't get it Larry, what is weird about people protecting their property and defending their privacy?

grassman177
11-27-2009, 11:14 PM
when common courtesy is abandoned by an obviously un avoidable occurrence. i mean if you venture on someone elses grass by a few feet for a brief moment and dont cause the slightest damage, ok, well they are a little uptight to say the least.

americanlawn
11-28-2009, 02:52 PM
1st instance on the driveway: I was parked on "County property", and the driveway was wide enough to park 3 cars.

2nd instance: Ames police confronted him asking why he did not allow me to gain access to his neighbor's lawn. Seems these two neighbors do not get along. Our customer is "black" & he is "white". The officer told me this was not the first time they were called out to this (racist) person's property. Sad, but true. :cry:

grassman177
11-28-2009, 02:58 PM
wow, it comes down to race, how pathetic.

grassman177
11-28-2009, 03:04 PM
we had a client several years back( another crew leaders customer, not mine) that had a crazy neighbor. when we would mow and trim next to the fence that separated the two places, he would come out and scream and yell and cuss at our guys for getting little itty bits of grass into his river rock that surounded his fence on his side. it was unavoidable when you trimmed, it went through the fence a bit.

well, we acctually demanded we vaccum as we trim to avoid this !! we said no and he started mowing our clients lawn for FREE so we could not cause this problem to himi anymore. wow, what a way to loose a client!!?

even better, we mowed a lawn next to a hospital that had a tall wall next to it where the parking was for the hospital(parking was lower). that guy happened to be parked there one windy day while we were mowing and it went over the wall and on to his car. he come up and started his violent ranting at the same crew leader and actually chased our guy on the lawn mower swinging!!!!!!!!!!! this guy was a f*^*ing ass.

americanlawn
11-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Holy sh$t. That's crazy. If that guy had that much time on his hands, why would he want to "penalize" hard-working Americans? Go figure. Maybe he needs to find something constructive in his life.

grassman177
11-28-2009, 06:53 PM
yeah, he also happens to be in the local cruiser car club my dad belongs to and they never speak at events as they had a run in when all this was happening. they exchanged words!!!!!!

he is really nuts, there are plenty of those folks here to go around too, in case anyone feels a shortage in their area!

phasthound
11-28-2009, 08:28 PM
yeah, he also happens to be in the local cruiser car club my dad belongs to and they never speak at events as they had a run in when all this was happening. they exchanged words!!!!!!

he is really nuts, there are plenty of those folks here to go around too, in case anyone feels a shortage in their area!

No thanks, you can keep them. :)

grassman177
11-28-2009, 10:02 PM
we get a tom of interesting folks here due to the fact we are a military base that spawned the first city(us) in kansas. bigtime flow of folks here

GravelyGuy
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
You guys ever get the fruit loops that walk by when your treating a property and say something like, "oh, you must be the poison sprayer?" Or something to that effect. I've had this several times now.

grassman177
11-28-2009, 11:54 PM
no, we get the fruit loops that seem to think pesticides are safe for the kids and dogs to come and play on while we are treating the lawn. i mean intentional supervised type of stupid! i have had customers walk up to me bare foot while i am treating the lawn!!!! they always get the speech from me to go wash their feet right away and not to be there when i am applicating and etc

greendoctor
11-29-2009, 01:08 AM
no, we get the fruit loops that seem to think pesticides are safe for the kids and dogs to come and play on while we are treating the lawn. i mean intentional supervised type of stupid! i have had customers walk up to me bare foot while i am treating the lawn!!!! they always get the speech from me to go wash their feet right away and not to be there when i am applicating and etc

I hate that. It does not happen that often to me. But there is one suburb I do lawns in where the people are STUPID. I am wearing elbow length gloves, rubber boots and long sleeves, but the children are unsupervised or supervised by those that should have been sterilized at childbearing age. Or them and their dog walks on a lawn I just sprayed. This actually bothers me more than the other kind of neighbors/bystanders who slam windows and doors shut when I come around while giving me the evil eye. The evil eye types know what I am doing and are probably overreacting to it. I am just hoping that the STUPID ones do not blame any health problems on lawn treatments and hold me liable. I expect that kind of trouble from the evil eye types.

GravelyGuy
11-29-2009, 08:54 AM

Yeah I forgot about those types.

TPnTX
11-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Old Man, 92 this year and has been a customer for 3 years. He always used TrueGreen we just mow. Unbeknowced to me he canceled them so Spring 09 I was blown away when I inspected his yard. Major weeds. So we agreed for me to start treating them.

One day he ran off my crew half way through the job. He called later to appologize saying he opened a bill in the mail and thought it was us trying to overcharge him when in fact is was some other invoice from someone else.

No problem. Got started again. One day I had a guy call in sick so I was had to run the crew. We're at his house and he comes out yelling. "I thought I fired you!"

I said you did but then you appologzed saying you got confused.

So now Im pissed . Old or not screw this we packed up the trailer.
As I was walking off told him. "I like you. I respect you. I am half your age and I admire you we've mowed a least 3 times since you ran us off and right now I'm pissed so have a nice day"

He said "well I've hired someone else and I guess I have two mowing companies."

Well no now you have one and its not me.

He owed us three mows. We kept invoicing and got nothing.

The other day he called and told us he was sending a check. Also just to let us know that the reason he fired us is because apparently we where contaminating his yard with weeds from our mowers.

Did I say he was 92. I think that I'm going to stop servicing old people.

grassman177
11-30-2009, 11:49 PM
yeah, old folks can be a real pain, they are not up to speed with the modern world, most times i can deal with taht just fine, and then you come across one like you posted about. i am sorry for your anguish, but feel you handled it pretty good without getting too nasty.

Bill23
12-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I've got one for you.
Senior couple had us doing lawn care, and wife called to complain about lawn looking all damaged, -chewed up. Husband is a good guy, -and realistic.
I asked to look at the riding mower he uses, and he put blades on upside down!!!
We laughed, he apologized, and I let him tell the Mrs! She just walked away.

a plus bob
12-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Had a guy call in yeterday mad.His neighbor called him and said she saw me flag the lawn put the invoice on the door and leave.The office manager called and told me and I had her call him and tell him to look at the dry fert all over the lawn! He said my neighbor said you never touched the lawn.he called back 10 min. later and said sorry not sure what she saw but I found fert and tire tracks.Neighbor still swears I never treated the lawn?Oh yeah used a z-spray so had to load and unload but never saw it!

grass4gas
12-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Man... Made it through 21 and 9/10ths posts b4 any mention of a particular ride on.

Must be a record of sorts. JK:)

grassman177
12-05-2009, 09:38 AM
it is easier to type Z or T or Pg than ride on. hehe

phasthound
12-05-2009, 06:14 PM
My favorite experience was having a neighbor walk up next to me while I was spraying Horticultural Oil for hemlock scale. She had a cigarette in her hand and said, "Is that stuff you're spraying (cigarette to mouth, inhale, exhale) dangerous?" :rolleyes:

greendoctor
12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I never got hassled by a smoker. Again, my greatest fears are the people who do not respect my application sites. I do not mind the evil eye types or the people who ask questions because they are not the ones who irresponsibly expose themselves.

phasthound
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I never got hassled by a smoker. Again, my greatest fears are the people who do not respect my application sites. I do not mind the evil eye types or the people who ask questions because they are not the ones who irresponsibly expose themselves.

Yea, is it stupidity or ignorance when they expose themselves to pesticides? I guess it's both.

There were times when I would be wearing a respirator while spraying trees & people would still walk up to me and ask questions. WTF??

TYCINC
12-05-2009, 07:08 PM
At on of the subdivisions I do there is a woman who is impared and has a hard time walking. . uses a cain or walking stick and sometimes a mobility scooter. . every now and then shell ask me to move a potted plant or bird feeder or w/e else might be in her yard. . blow off the inside of her screen porch. . little things I dont mind doing, no big deal right?

So I had just finished spreading the last bit of fertilizer and I pull the machine up next to her house to give it a quick rinse. . As Im doing this a friend of hers pulls up and immediately walks over to me. . .an older fat woman with an irish/english accent. . . Yells at me "did you ask to use the water" "do you do this at all your customers properties. . you know she pays for that" just being a complete ***** trying to be a big person over the lawnguy. . As nice as I can be I simply told her I only needed to use the hose for a second and that yea I normally give my spreaders a quick rinse when Im done applying. . And that if she had any idea of all the little favors I have done for this woman, using her hose surely wouldnt be a big deal. . after that I smiled very big at her and said Its not a problem then hung up the hose. . . she then went on some ish about it not being a big deal and to go ahead and finish rinsing. . Again I just smiled and said "its okay"

I hate people that think they are above us and can talk down to "the lawn guy." Im glad they can get thier little power trip. . I really hope they feel better about themselves for having "stuck it to the lawn guy." They act like I go home to **** hole or something. . .Buddy, I drive a nicer car than you, I go home to a bigger house, and my wife looks ten times better yours. Or some old hag chews you out for something she has no clue about cause she just looked in the mirror at all of her wrinkles and needs to put someone else down to make herself feel better. . .

greendoctor
12-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Someone like that is in danger of being sued for wasting my time. I do not take kindly to people who do not mind their own business.

greendoctor
12-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Yea, is it stupidity or ignorance when they expose themselves to pesticides? I guess it's both.

There were times when I would be wearing a respirator while spraying trees & people would still walk up to me and ask questions. WTF??

Was this when it was still legal to apply endosulfan, dimethoate or Turcam to trees? I am young enough to remember spraying trees with diazinon or Dursban. Thank goodness no one came up to bother me. I would not understand what they were thinking if I was in a chemical resistant suit and respirator. There have been times when people have been told that if they were worried about what I was doing they would be in their house minding their own business.

White Gardens
12-06-2009, 01:19 AM
I don't spray lawns, but have an semi-interesting story.

I was trimming bushes at a property early this summer and a larger, local Fert and Squirt company comes in and starts servicing the property next to me.

It was windy, I mean really windy. He's spraying a very fine application and drifted into the area I was working in (ride on sprayer of some sort). I procede to go over and ask what he was thinking spraying in the wind.

He basically told me I was an idiot and " you small lowballers need to butt out ". I left it alone and went to my truck to wait until he was done and the drift went away.

5 minutes later the cops showed up and another neighbor comes out raging up a storm about this dude's application practices. Needless to say I was pulled into the fray and had to make a statement.

greendoctor
12-06-2009, 01:21 AM
He deserved it. It is people like him that give ammunition to the anti chemical fanatics.

phasthound
12-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Was this when it was still legal to apply endosulfan, dimethoate or Turcam to trees? I am young enough to remember spraying trees with diazinon or Dursban.

Those were the days! We used to say, "I love the smell of Cygon in the morning."

ted putnam
12-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't spray lawns, but have an semi-interesting story.

I was trimming bushes at a property early this summer and a larger, local Fert and Squirt company comes in and starts servicing the property next to me.

It was windy, I mean really windy. He's spraying a very fine application and drifted into the area I was working in (ride on sprayer of some sort). I procede to go over and ask what he was thinking spraying in the wind.

He basically told me I was an idiot and " you small lowballers need to butt out ". I left it alone and went to my truck to wait until he was done and the drift went away.

5 minutes later the cops showed up and another neighbor comes out raging up a storm about this dude's application practices. Needless to say I was pulled into the fray and had to make a statement.

I know what my statement would be."Yea, there was drift flying everywhere and he's pretty much a dick. You need to fine the sh!t out of him."

Hey Ric,
I'm trying to figure out how my company can pay for a Florida vacation. Have you thought any more about hosting a workshop/seminar. I am always up to learning new things from people of your caliber. Sitting on the beach for a couple of additional days compliments of Uncle Sam sounds pretty good too...

RigglePLC
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Spraying with my skid sprayer, big lawn 30,000 feet. Idiot neighbor to the north comes over and is upset because of odor, and gentle breeze. Accused me of contaminating his well. Claimed he could tell that my mind had already been affected by the chemicals I was using. Claims his wife has breathing problems, coughing and can smell it so they have to keep their windows closed, (house about 75 feet away); he wanted to run her to the hospital and wanted me to agree to cover bill. I said I would pay for anything that was proven my fault, (stupid, but nothing happened). It was hay feaver season, big field of weeds just upwind of area. Asked me to call in advance so they could get out of house during next treatment. Granular treatments--no problem. I agreed. But he often did not answer phone. Next year both he and his wife came over, walked in freshly treated grass to rant and rave. Later on, he was more friendly--actually wanted me to use his tractor and tow-behind spreader because the lawn was 30,000 feet. I did, but burned a spot, not being quick enough to shut it off behind me. Next year I used Eliminate which has less odor. And also used Permagreen, which most people do not realize that it sprays in addition to spreading fert. No problem.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey Ric,
I'm trying to figure out how my company can pay for a Florida vacation. Have you thought any more about hosting a workshop/seminar. I am always up to learning new things from people of your caliber. Sitting on the beach for a couple of additional days compliments of Uncle Sam sounds pretty good too...

Count me in on that seminar too!:usflag: It's freekin 20 degrees here today:cry:

sprayboy
12-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Party at Ric's?

Is it BYOB or is Ric buying?

CHARLES CUE
12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Ric,

Here we use kellysystems for recirtcation class this time of year they have them all over the place you could vacation all over the south and stop and see ric
Charles Cue

turf hokie
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Party at Ric's?

Is it BYOB or is Ric buying?

I got the first round if "yo" makes the seminar in February so I can write of my disney vacation. Already used miles for the plane flight, gotta figure out how to get uncle sam to give back the this NY business instead of just taking....

sprayboy
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I got the first round if "yo" makes the seminar in February so I can write of my disney vacation. Already used miles for the plane flight, gotta figure out how to get uncle sam to give back the this NY business instead of just taking....

yea, uncle sure like to taketh