PDA

View Full Version : 8hp Billy Goat or 13hp Billy Goat?

MeanGreenGuy
11-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I have found an older Billy Goat blower with a 13hp Honda, Will there be a noticible difference in pile pushing with the 13hp Honda compared to the 8hp billy goat blower?

Say a 13hp is running @ 4600rpm and a
8hp is running @ 4600rpm, is this comparing apples to oranges?
13hp a Monster to push? Weight wise?
Guy down the road has one willing to sell to me for 200 bucks, but I'm not sure if I should get it as it is older, like 6-8 years old or so, said the motor has been rebuilt about 4 years ago, starts on the second pull. Blower unit it's self is rusty, pretty rough, but 200 bucks is fair isnt it?
Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Tyler7692
11-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Just get it. And tell him 150 cash.

MeanGreenGuy
11-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Just get it. And tell him 150 cash.

lol, I have talked him down already by 150 bucks.
Doubt he will go lower!
Honestly though, if there is no motor or houseing noises, regardless of comparison, its worth 200 bucks right? Good investment?
Shes a little rough, but over the winter I can make her clean, little paint later.

I have been doing a little research here, (opinions are like @ss's everyones got one) and it almost seems the older ones are just as good as the new ones. built strong lasts forever if its taken care of.

MeanGreenGuy
11-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Yea, My research shows weather it's a 5hp or a 13 hp engine, they blow @ 180mph.

Now how come people want the 13hp motors???
Chicks dont dig guys with bigger blowers...
So how come a 13hp?

I need an answere to this question. :confused::confused:

oklahomaboy
11-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Mean Green, I think there may be some confusion with specs concerning velocity. If you were to blow air out of a soda straw at 180 mph you wouldn't blow many leaves. It may have something to do with the volume of air out the orifice. That spec is often overlooked. I'm in no way an expert about blowers, but I have noticed that some Billy Goat blowers have a different diameter discharge orifice. Perhaps the 5 hp has a smaller orifice than the 13 hp but claims the same 180 mph???

I rented an older 13 hp Honda Billy Goat this fall an it worked great. The only drawback is that you constantly are adjusting the direction of the discharge with the handle lever to control the air flow to the leaves. The newer Billy Goats are some lighter however and may push more air. I have recently ordered a 13 hp. Little Wonder which has a different discharge arrangement. It's real heavy but so is the Billy Goat. I will have to eat my cheerios :weightlifter:or likely get a wheeled dolly to mount the beast in front of my Scag. Good luck on your purchase.

MeanGreenGuy
11-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Mean Green, I think there may be some confusion with specs concerning velocity. If you were to blow air out of a soda straw at 180 mph you wouldn't blow many leaves. It may have something to do with the volume of air out the orifice. That spec is often overlooked. I'm in no way an expert about blowers, but I have noticed that some Billy Goat blowers have a different diameter discharge orifice. Perhaps the 5 hp has a smaller orifice than the 13 hp but claims the same 180 mph???

I rented an older 13 hp Honda Billy Goat this fall an it worked great. The only drawback is that you constantly are adjusting the direction of the discharge with the handle lever to control the air flow to the leaves. The newer Billy Goats are some lighter however and may push more air. I have recently ordered a 13 hp. Little Wonder which has a different discharge arrangement. It's real heavy but so is the Billy Goat. I will have to eat my cheerios :weightlifter:or likely get a wheeled dolly to mount the beast in front of my Scag. Good luck on your purchase.

Yea thanks for the help, I over looked that part.
Think my questions should never have been asked.
Think its bed time.:walking:

MeanGreenGuy
11-27-2009, 10:37 PM
This is where I got my asumption for speeds.
http://newhavenpower.com/BILLY_GOAT_INDEX.html

metro36
11-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Most of the push blowers move air at around the same velocity (mph). A larger engine is usually paired with a larger fan which means it will move more volume (cfm). I have a 8hp little wonder which works well but once I get a large pile I could use more power to move it. Sometimes I get piles big enough that I cant blow them anymore so I use my walkbehind mower to push them.

dtford
11-28-2009, 10:14 PM
We run 3 backpacks, (1) 13.5 Honda engine Billy goat walk behind (3) Walkers and a 16HP Billy goat truck loader. Also have a 6 HP *(Suzuki) Billy goat blower.
There is no comparison between the 13 and the 6HP. Never use the 6HP, gave it to my father in law, he has a ball with it.

STIHL GUY
11-28-2009, 11:15 PM
you will be happier with the 13 HP in the long run

topsites
11-29-2009, 02:58 AM
I wouldn't sell you my 8-year old 10hp Briggs-powered billy goat to you for no $200, no offense but
mine has very little rust and for something comparable of only 6-8 years old it just doesn't sound right.

I mean...

I don't understand why they would have even had to rebuild that Honda...

So that unit is probably closer to 20 or 30 years old.