PDA

View Full Version : Yards and Tons.... HELP

Greenkeepers
04-24-2000, 10:17 PM
Hey All-<p>I'm in a debate here with some suppliers. I have always figured one yard = 1.65 tons. For instance to cover an area that needs 10 yards of material, that area would need 16.5 tons to cover the same area. Is this the way that you all do it?? My formula is <br>(length x width)/27 x .33(4 inches) = the number of yards. Then I take that number of yards times 1.65 to figure the amount of tons that I'll need.<p>Thanks for the help<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers

Matt
04-25-2000, 07:17 PM
You are not being specific greenkeepers, I mean that a yard of mulch probably weighs about 1200lbs at the most, whereas sand probably weighs about your figure. Its like a yard of feathers and a yard of lead! good luck to all this spring... i need it!!!

Matt
04-25-2000, 07:18 PM
You are not being specific greenkeepers, I mean that a yard of mulch probably weighs about 1200lbs at the most, whereas sand probably weighs about your figure. Its like a yard of feathers and a yard of lead! good luck to all this spring... i need it!!!

Greenkeepers
04-25-2000, 09:04 PM
Sorry Matt-<p>This is for topsoil. I know how many yards I need but some places only want to sell it by the ton. So I need to figure it out so that I can compare apples to apples with the price. <p>Mike

paul
04-26-2000, 12:08 AM
hard time buying dirt by weight. If they cut into the clay a little too much your weight will increase but the volume will decrease. It's still best to buy dirt by the cubic yard. Also measure the trucks when they come in.<p>----------<br>paul<br>