PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR600 retrofit dual fuel pickups

Richard Martin
11-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Now you all know I had to try this once I heard about it. My additional cost was dirt cheap. About 50 cents since I already had the fuel line and 2 filters. The only thing I had to buy a was a Tee fitting. Total time invloved was about an hour. I like to take my time. How does it work? I was using the blower the other day and I kept having to refill it at about 1/2 tank. It was bogging down and just being it's usual self. And I had a weighted fuel filter in it.

Now it sucks the tank dry with no bogging or hesitation at any point.

Pics

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSCN0306.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSCN0309.jpg

HighFiveBassin
11-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Just curious but when the tank is low, what keeps a setup like that from just sucking air from the exposed filter versus sucking fuel from the submerged one?

RonAyersMotorsports
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Because it will pull fuel from the tank faster than the carburetor needs it will the fuel pump style carburetor STIHL uses.

Richard I'm disappointed. It took you an hour an you didn't take time to clean the outside of the take before the picture.:nono: j/k:laugh:

Richard Martin
11-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Richard I'm disappointed. It took you an hour an you didn't take time to clean the outside of the take before the picture.:nono: j/k:laugh:

I know, I know. I get so excited about trying this stuff that cleaning parts that don't really matter kinda falls to another day. Since you saw that I assume you noticed that the inside of that tank is so clean you could drink out of it.

I'm going to pull it back apart and shorten the fuel filler side of the tank hose up by about 1/2". That fuel filter is sitting up on that boss for the tank screw and I'd like it to lay flat on the bottom of the tank. I'll take measurements of the hoses then in case anybody else is feeling like trying it.

Richard Martin
11-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Because it will pull fuel from the tank faster than the carburetor needs it will the fuel pump style carburetor STIHL uses.

Yeah. It's called an impulse pump and it uses the air pulsations from the crankcase to move the diaphram up and down inside of the carb. Most 2 stroke tools use them as do a lot of small 4 stroke engines.

Alan0354
11-28-2009, 06:52 PM
I am surprised the weight don't work!!! Do they use stiff tubing? My 3 1/4" nut work majic for me!!! And I am talking about using in ALL position because I use it as a short reach hedge clipper that it is run upside down left and right.....

Only problem I occationally have is the filter work it's way up the the tank filler cap and when I open the cap, the filter stick right out!!!!

wildncrazyguy
11-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I'll take measurements of the hoses then in case anybody else is feeling like trying it.

Please do. Measurements are good... Where did you get the T? I guess I can get some Stihl fuel line from the dealer by the foot, or where do you suggest??? Thanks.

STIHL GUY
11-29-2009, 12:19 AM
seems like a good idea but i have no problems like that with my BR600 it runs the tank dry every time

topsites
11-29-2009, 04:28 AM
That's pretty slick, such as simple solution to this friggin' problem.

seems like a good idea but i have no problems like that with my BR600 it runs the tank dry every time

Mine never has, it starts to acting up about 1/2 tank as well.

ALC-GregH
11-29-2009, 09:26 AM
I think all of the BR600's are like this. I know my blower was doing the same thing. I took a weight and zip tied it to the filter. It will run wide open until the tank is empty now.

Bluffman
11-29-2009, 10:16 AM
In the other post on the BR600 magnum, I told of my experience in getting the "new" model without the dual pickups. After some perseverance on my part, the dealer got me the new dual setup which is a filter with 2 barbs and a 2nd fuel line about 5 inches long. You just pull the original filter, plug the original fuel line into the 2nd barb on the new filter and put the original filter on the little 5 inch line and tuck it all back into the tank. It was a few minutes to do. I will admit though, when it comes time to replace the double barbed filter, it MAY be cheaper to just replace the 2 single barbed filters in Richard's setup. Either way it seems to have rectified the problem.

RonAyersMotorsports
12-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Fuel filters I believe are the same price for either one.

Richard Martin
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
You should buy the hose from your regular Stihl dealer. The tee is a standard 3/16" and is available from any auto parts store. The long hose is 5", the short hose is 2-3/4" and the center hose is 2-3/8".

This pic is for Derek.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSCN0323.jpg

genesis215
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Richard, I have a BR 600, and I'd sure like to know what parts I need to do this, and where to get them. Thanks in advance.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
richard, i have a br 600, and i'd sure like to know what parts i need to do this, and where to get them. Thanks in advance.

see previous post to this thread

Richard Martin
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Richard, I have a BR 600, and I'd sure like to know what parts I need to do this, and where to get them. Thanks in advance.

Like "Ron" said, everything you need has already been covered in this thread.

genesis215
01-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone.

lawnboy dan
01-27-2010, 09:30 PM
another desighn oversite on the part of sthil-dont they test products before they release them?

THC
01-27-2010, 11:06 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSCN0306.jpgThat's brilliant. I'm tired of leaning left to keep it from it from bogging.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-28-2010, 10:55 AM
another desighn oversite on the part of sthil-dont they test products before they release them?

:hammerhead::dizzy::hammerhead:Show's how much you know about this industry. Almost every product from any big MFG is not only tested at their facility but usually put in the field as demo's for recommended customers at dealerships for 6-12 months prior to the units being sold. But again these test results will usually only show some flaws in a product not all. As for the double fuel pickup STIHL didn't plan on people only using one strap of having straps adjusted so the tank sits sideways not level. And Now they address all the issues they've had with a product in real life situations; correct it and you still HATE?!?!?!?

lawnboy dan
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
mine dies out with it strapped to my back with both straps on. i am shure this happens to others too and yes i hate sthil products-i have had TERRIABLE service from almost every product i have bought. far more probs than ANY other mfg-and this includes echo! . i know plenty about this industry after 40 years . i know sthil is WAY overrated ! i know i will never buy another sthil product. ect

Richard Martin
01-28-2010, 09:08 PM
mine dies out with it strapped to my back with both straps on.

I had my problems with both straps on too. I never have been able to figure out just why this tank had those problems. It made no sense to me. It might have been an issue with all of the baffles and stuff in the tank. IDK

mattfromNY
01-28-2010, 09:16 PM
I've had 4 BR600's in the last few years, and they ALL die at 1/2 tank. I'm definately putting this to good use on the two in my garage ASAP. Thanks for the tip, simple things like this that will cure a headache is why I love this site so much!!

RonAyersMotorsports
01-29-2010, 10:33 AM
mine dies out with it strapped to my back with both straps on. i am shure this happens to others too and yes i hate sthil products-i have had TERRIABLE service from almost every product i have bought. far more probs than ANY other mfg-and this includes echo! . i know plenty about this industry after 40 years . i know sthil is WAY overrated ! i know i will never buy another sthil product. ect

Sounds like dealer problems to me. Sorry for your inconvienance.Glad you obviously found a product that fits you or a better dealer. But no need to just straight up trash talk and make statements that make you sound less educated than you must be after 40 years. *trucewhiteflag*

lawnboy dan
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
not a dealer prob -my dealer is first rate -its the product thats faulty. if you keep getting burned by a product-why continue to use it?