PDA

View Full Version : that white stuff on hemlocks

bobbygedd
05-18-2002, 01:55 AM
what do u use to treat that white stuff that grows, and i believe eventually kills hemlocks

Doc Pete
05-18-2002, 07:22 AM
I'm not an expert, but I understand it's called (pardon the spelling) "Wooly Adelgin". It's hard to get rid off. We lost three trees at our church. If it's not too bad, you can use multiple applications of a good "dormant oil". The oil will choke the stuff and kill it.
Pete

mdb landscaping
05-18-2002, 01:10 PM
I heard you should spray them with soapy water. Not sure about that though, so dont do it until you ask somebody who really knows.

AGLA
05-18-2002, 02:55 PM
I no longer do pesticide apps or have a license, but I recall having much success with Cygon 2-E for controlling scale and leaf miner. I am not sure if it is approved for controlling the woolly hemlock thing (no, I won't try to spell it). It is a soil drench systemic insecticide. It is mixed with water and poured into the soil and sucked up by the roots.
When I moved back here to the east and heard about this hemlock problem, it was the first thing I thought of. Has anyone tried it, or treated hemlocks for scale and found a side benefit of controlling the woolly buggers?:blob2:

thelawnguy
05-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Hort oil spring and fall helps immensely, used to use Malathion once each spring but not sure what the current treatment is. All I know is that it will be rare to find a hemlock in the wild w/in 10 years because of it.

creative concepts
05-18-2002, 06:27 PM
Is the "white stuff" somewhat powdery or is it more like very small cotton balls? The reason I ask is it could be either a scale infestation or wooly adelgid. You need to know which one it is to apply the right control product which you will also need a pesticide license to apply.

ohiolawnguy
05-18-2002, 06:39 PM
like mentioned, it sounds like scale, or wooly aldegid. dormant oil, cygon 2e all should work.

liquid sevin applied 3 to four times at the correct time, and intervals, has worked for me on many different types of scale.

bobbygedd
05-18-2002, 11:03 PM
i think the cotton ball better describes it

Lanelle
05-18-2002, 11:21 PM
That sounds like wooly aldegid.

AGLA
05-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Ohiolawnguy,

Have you treated the wooly adelgid successfully with Cygon? I am interested because I hear lots of scapers here saying that nothing works on them. I can not attest to their knowledge of insect control as not many will ever tell me that they don't know something.