PDA

View Full Version : What type of blades does everybody else run on their Honda 21 inch push mowers?

apples017
11-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Whats the best blade combination for a Honda self propelled 21" push mower?

I finally bought a new self propelled honda 21" push mower last month. Man its a back saver....

Anyway, it came with four blades on it. Two of the blades were like a medium lift and the other two were high lift blades. And to be perfectly honest straight out of the box I didn't feel as if the lawnmower was picking up grass as what it should have been.

So off I went back to the mother shop and I bought another set of high lift blades so now I have four individual high lift blades underneath. And the result? Yes the picking up ability of the grass clippings is now much much better.

What type of blades does everybody else run on their Honda 21 inch push mowers?

Roger
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM

... self propelled honda 21" push mower...

Oxymoron. Either the mower is able to propel itself, or you push it by hand.

What model of Honda. I have a Honda, quad-cut blade setup, with two blades mounted, one sandwiched between the bottom blade and the hub. The upper blade has no lift, and is shorter and not as wide. What do you mean about four high lift blades?

apples017
11-29-2009, 07:46 AM

You know what I mean....

I haven't got the exact model number on me.

You know 4 blades with the little flicker on the end, all 4 blades have the bent up riser piece of steel. These are high lift's. But when I pick up the unit 2 blades were high life and 2 were like low lift.

grassman177
11-29-2009, 12:47 PM
i use the standard two blades that come on it and never saw a reason to change, but more power to you

topsites
11-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I don't have any Honda 21" push mowers.

Mike Blevins
11-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Sorry, I don't have any Honda 21" push mowers.
Damn this site is getting bad for smart A$$e$. I have a Honda push that I use with the 2 blade setup that it came with. Mulches great and is now 6 years old. I recommend twin blade set-up.:waving:

bob
11-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Anyway, it came with four blades on it.

My Honda HRX217 came with a twin blades. Please explain this 4 blade set-up.

chuacro
11-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Do you run 4 total blades on this mower?

moaboy
01-04-2010, 03:51 AM
hi, i bought a new honda and the problem i have is it leaves a small trail of grass on the right side, damn nucsence. Anyone else have this with there one

apples017
01-04-2010, 05:11 AM
yes here in Australia it seems that these machines are supplied with a four blade set up.

I too had the same sort of problem with the small trail of grass. Since changing those two standard blades to high lift blades the problem seems to have gone away.

one thing I wish though, was that the engine had more power. The other model had an extra horsepower think it was.

I will go out to the shed and see what model number I have. Okay the model is a HRU 216.

Roger
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM

I too had the same sort of problem with the small trail of grass. Since changing those two standard blades to high lift blades the problem seems to have gone away.

Do you have a part number, a link to a catalog, or other reference to the "high lift blade."

Thanks.

jsf343
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree with Roger, there is 2 blades (maybe this is what you meant) and they are NOT high lift, they are mulching blades.

Speaking for my area (wet northwest)these blades are awful in spring and again in fall when the grass is wet and heavy, however they are great in the summer and mulch very nicely. This has been an ongoing issue with Honda in which from what I hear from 2 dealers they are working to fix by offering some kind of new hi-lift blade.

I am kind of lucky because I have 2 older version hrc-216 (think that was the model) and 2 of the newer ones with the double blade. I use the older ones in spring and fall, the newer ones in summer.

lawnboy dan
01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
i use a gator. the twin blade works well but saps too much power.

apples017
02-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Okay for those who are interested I have the Blade Kit part number here.

These are genuine Honda blades and as it is written on the packaging it states:

full 4 Blade Kit 21 inch
applicaton
HRU216SU.DSU, HRU217DPU

Part no 06720-VJ9-600

This kit has a total of four blades, two of them are standard lift blades and the other two are high lift blades. I had to purchase the complete 4 Blade Kit just ot get 2 more hight lift's as the shop didn't have any individual high lift blades for sale left in stock.

Darryl G
02-19-2010, 09:09 PM

What model of Honda. I have a Honda, quad-cut blade setup, with two blades mounted, one sandwiched between the bottom blade and the hub. The upper blade has no lift, and is shorter and not as wide. What do you mean about four high lift blades?

Same thing I'm running. Just about stalls it out when I engage the blades but mulches great and bags fine too if needed.

I have the aluminum deck hydro drive electric start Master's series. My only complaint is the max speed is too slow.

jsf343
02-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Same thing I'm running. Just about stalls it out when I engage the blades but mulches great and bags fine too if needed.

I have the aluminum deck hydro drive electric start Master's series. My only complaint is the max speed is too slow.

Have your dealer turn up the speed, we did on all of ours and it has been GREAT!

apples017
02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
can you increase the engine rpm at all?

Darryl G
02-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Dealer says you can't turn up the speed, but I don't believe anything they say, lol. I'd rather crank up the hydro speed if possible than the engine rpms. They're a lousy dealer. I'm to the point that all I'll buy from them are gloves and glasses. They don't carry parts for or service what they sell. Not helpful at all. Don't think they'll be around much longer.

hornett22
02-20-2010, 02:28 AM
are you running the right blade combination?

sounds like you are running the high lifts together and the two low lifts together instead of mixing them.

I see a lot of Hondas with the blades upside down for some reason.

Mine has always worked flawlessly.

Merkava_4
02-20-2010, 04:18 AM
i use the standard two blades that come on it and never saw a reason to change, but more power to you

LOL!! :laugh: