PDA

View Full Version : How does Maruyama rank among the other leading trimmer makers?

jtk47
11-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on Maruyama, they have a 5-year commercial warranty.

LawnPro19
11-29-2009, 11:28 AM
to be honest i was excited my dealer just started carrying them a few months ago... so i finally got to demo one a few weeks ago and i was not impressed at all...they certainly dont have the power they advertise, the "easy starting system" wasnt so easy... so im definately sticking with shindaiwa!!

Alan0354
11-29-2009, 01:05 PM
to be honest i was excited my dealer just started carrying them a few months ago... so i finally got to demo one a few weeks ago and i was not impressed at all...they certainly dont have the power they advertise, the "easy starting system" wasnt so easy... so im definately sticking with shindaiwa!!

The 30.2cc rated 1.7hp. It might be a little on the liberal side. The question is how does it compare to the other 30cc trimmer like like the RM3001, Stihl FS110 or Shindaiwa T272, T282? The weight is comparable to RM3001 and lighter than T272 and T282.

As for blowers. I have the Maruyama BL8100 which is the same as Kawi KRB750. I like it, it is $389.

MONTE
11-29-2009, 01:17 PM
maruyama takes a long long time to get them broke in. Also they have had a carb issue's which they are taking care of. I have a bl3100 blower that has taken almost three years of use for it to loosen up good. she runs strong but for the first 2.5yrs it was a dog.

Alan0354
11-29-2009, 03:44 PM
maruyama takes a long long time to get them broke in. Also they have had a carb issue's which they are taking care of. I have a bl3100 blower that has taken almost three years of use for it to loosen up good. she runs strong but for the first 2.5yrs it was a dog.

Funny you said this!!! I have the Maru BL8100 which technically has Kawi TK65 engine. I swear when I first bought it last year, it was not very strong and really not a whole lot stronger than my 34cc EB3410 Shindy hand held. I just believed that this was how it is. I must have about 40 hours or so on it. Lately I was using it and in the middle happened to swich to the Shindy, man what a difference!!! It was so gradual that I didn't even pay attention of the increase in power until I happened to use both one after the other!!! I was so surprised by that. Now it actually feel like it is double the power of the Shindy which is in line with the spec of 200mph and 720cfm.

As I said, it is a Kawi engine, I don't know how much this imply to the Maru engine. One thing for sure, it need more than 10 hours or a few tankful of gas.

MONTE
11-29-2009, 07:51 PM
I know the maruyama has a chrome impregnated cylinder were almost everyone else is chrome plated. It takes awhile. My dad has a bc260 that is at least 10yrs old and still going and it is used daily. It is however a pre epa engine.

jtk47
11-29-2009, 09:08 PM
thanks guys, yeah i was wondering about the new models. My dad has had a Maruyama for close to 20 years and it still runs like a champ.

Alan0354
11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Don't buy the ones with CER300 or CER230 engine. Those are the ones that are CARB compliant. If you are lucky to live in a state not like the People's Republic of Kalifornia, get the ones with the AE or BE engine.

I can tell you that I read the IPL of the Maruyama hedge trimmer, the design is very good. They have ball bearing on both side of each gear. You study the others, some don't have ball bearing on all gears and RM have two ball bearing on one side!!! Why?? Only Shindaiwa and the Kawi D series have design like this. The only one I don't know is Stihl because they don't publish the IPL.

carriedrewdog
11-30-2009, 08:00 PM
My blower has the compliant CER300 engine and so far it runs great. No catalyst in the muffler. The piston has a groove (like a ring groove) cut into the bottom that is exposed to the exhaust port at TDC to shunt some of the exhaust gas into the top of the transfer port. This spent gas charge reduces the amount of fresh charge that would blow through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust port. Maruyama claims this engine makes more power than the non-compliant version, doesn't seem logical to me but that's the claim. In any case for an EPA engine I like the simplicity of this design as there are no additional moving parts, adjustments or funky carbs.

A lot of things can change in 20 years, but if my Dad's was still running I'd feel like I owed it to them to try another. In any case the hand blower is the only piece of their equipment I can attest to and I'm happy with it.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 03:48 AM
My blower has the compliant CER300 engine and so far it runs great. No catalyst in the muffler. The piston has a groove (like a ring groove) cut into the bottom that is exposed to the exhaust port at TDC to shunt some of the exhaust gas into the top of the transfer port. This spent gas charge reduces the amount of fresh charge that would blow through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust port. Maruyama claims this engine makes more power than the non-compliant version, doesn't seem logical to me but that's the claim. In any case for an EPA engine I like the simplicity of this design as there are no additional moving parts, adjustments or funky carbs.

A lot of things can change in 20 years, but if my Dad's was still running I'd feel like I owed it to them to try another. In any case the hand blower is the only piece of their equipment I can attest to and I'm happy with it.

Is it easy to start, does it need long warmup to get full speed? I was told it take long time to breakin, way more than 20 or 30 hours.

RonAyersMotorsports
12-03-2009, 09:49 AM
The 30.2cc rated 1.7hp. It might be a little on the liberal side. The question is how does it compare to the other 30cc trimmer like like the RM3001, Stihl FS110 or Shindaiwa T272, T282? The weight is comparable to RM3001 and lighter than T272 and T282.

As for blowers. I have the Maruyama BL8100 which is the same as Kawi KRB750. I like it, it is $389.

If you just using a unit for grass trimming. Check out a FS100RX. 31.4cc and only 10.4lbs. Great units for a long day of trimming. And only $339.95.

carriedrewdog
12-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Alan,
Starts just as easy as the rest of my stuff and I start all the stuff the same way. When cold: prime, choke, two limp pulls to get the crankcase charged with fuel and the third pull to get it started. I'd have to say it starts on the first or second pull that I actually try to get it started on. Starts first pull when hot.

Doesn't take a long time to warm up but I always give equipment a minute to run before I get to it. It's ready to go when I am. I don't full throttle any engine right after it's started and I try to give stuff a short cool down period when I'm done. Not a big ritual I just start up 1st thing and by the time I've walked over to where I'm using the stuff it's warmed up. When done I walk the equipment back then shut it off.

I haven't noticed any improvement after "break-in". It was probably 99.5% power right out of the box then up to 99.9% after a couple of hours. I run a little extra oil for the first couple of fill ups.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Alan,
Starts just as easy as the rest of my stuff and I start all the stuff the same way. When cold: prime, choke, two limp pulls to get the crankcase charged with fuel and the third pull to get it started. I'd have to say it starts on the first or second pull that I actually try to get it started on. Starts first pull when hot.

Doesn't take a long time to warm up but I always give equipment a minute to run before I get to it. It's ready to go when I am. I don't full throttle any engine right after it's started and I try to give stuff a short cool down period when I'm done. Not a big ritual I just start up 1st thing and by the time I've walked over to where I'm using the stuff it's warmed up. When done I walk the equipment back then shut it off.

I haven't noticed any improvement after "break-in". It was probably 99.5% power right out of the box then up to 99.9% after a couple of hours. I run a little extra oil for the first couple of fill ups.

Thanks, good info.:waving:

jkilov
12-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Maruyama is a fine brand, maybe not the best, but who is? What pulls them down is poor dealer network. If you have a dealership near by there's little reason why not.

MONTE
12-03-2009, 06:57 PM
They are good tough long lifed engines. They do take a long long long time to get broke in however that just give you a longer lifed unit in the process.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 08:04 PM
They are good tough long lifed engines. They do take a long long long time to get broke in however that just give you a longer lifed unit in the process.

I notice a lot of people said that.

wimpy
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
In my area Maruyama is known as a poor man's TMC. You got a lot of manufacturers out there using Kawasaki engines. You have the Maruyama, Astron, and then TMC in California. They all use the same Kawasaki engines on all their equipment. TMC is known as the top of the line of the 3. They tend to use better materials and are just engineered better. The dealers out here are always reporting problems with Maruyama and Astron machines for inferior parts or poor designs. Most of the people that use Maruyama or Astron are the immigrant Latino landscapers with no licenses that are just mow, blow and go. No racism intended, just how it is in this state. It's basically like this. As far as LA, OC, SD, Riverside is concerned, you have White landscapers who like to use Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, TMC or Shindaiwa. The Latin landscapers tend to like the Astron, Maruyama, Echo and TMC. They rarely use Stihl.

Jhill19
12-03-2009, 11:54 PM
I was just given a marayuma stick edger. Seems to be a solid machine. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but what can I say it was just given to me. But everything else I know is a stihl.:weightlifter:

grassman177
12-03-2009, 11:59 PM
never even thought about trying one, i would just get a kawi to start instead of a rebadged and changed one under maruyama. good discussion though. personally i am a huge echo fan, next to stihl

Alan0354
12-04-2009, 01:39 AM
In my area Maruyama is known as a poor man's TMC. You got a lot of manufacturers out there using Kawasaki engines. You have the Maruyama, Astron, and then TMC in California. They all use the same Kawasaki engines on all their equipment. TMC is known as the top of the line of the 3. They tend to use better materials and are just engineered better. The dealers out here are always reporting problems with Maruyama and Astron machines for inferior parts or poor designs. Most of the people that use Maruyama or Astron are the immigrant Latino landscapers with no licenses that are just mow, blow and go. No racism intended, just how it is in this state. It's basically like this. As far as LA, OC, SD, Riverside is concerned, you have White landscapers who like to use Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, TMC or Shindaiwa. The Latin landscapers tend to like the Astron, Maruyama, Echo and TMC. They rarely use Stihl.

I am from the Bay Area, Echo and Shindaiwa are the main brand people use here. Stihl is actually the cheaper brand. I can tell you I have seen FS90 for $249, FS100 For $279, BR600 for $379 and BR550 for $299. My friend bought a BR550 at that price before. Very few people here use Stihl. In the contrary, YOu only see factory promotion with Shindaiwa and sometimes, no sales tax. I never notice Echo go on sale. Redmax would be the distance third.

Lawn care is big business, you won't drive a few blocks during the day without seeing a LCO truck and most of the time you can see their equipments. This have no reflection on which brand is better or cheaper, just different area favor different brands.

Lafman
12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I have a Maruyama trimmer which I used all cutting season(March-Nov). Never had a problem with it, started usually on 2nd or 3rd pull. Had plenty of power also. Its a good, simple design which make its easy for preventive maintenance which is the key to taking care of any equipment. I am now in the market for a backpack blower. Will more than likely buy a Maruyama blower which is comparible to a Shindy, but about $100 cheaper. Just my opinion...

Alan0354
12-05-2009, 03:02 AM
I have a Maruyama trimmer which I used all cutting season(March-Nov). Never had a problem with it, started usually on 2nd or 3rd pull. Had plenty of power also. Its a good, simple design which make its easy for preventive maintenance which is the key to taking care of any equipment. I am now in the market for a backpack blower. Will more than likely buy a Maruyama blower which is comparible to a Shindy, but about $100 cheaper. Just my opinion...

Maruyama BL8100 only comes with hip throttle, you can get the Kawasaki KRB750 with tube throttle for a little bit more. It is the exact same blower.

I doubt it is comparable to Shinadaiwa EB802 or EB8520 though. They are 79cc. Huge difference from 64cc. I think it is more like the EB630.

It is the lightest, quietest and cheapest 64cc class blowers out there.

mictrik
12-05-2009, 07:59 AM
How about Redmax, White or Latino?

MONTE
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
All of the Bl8100 maruyama blowers around here are pistol grip. Never seen a hip mounted one!

Alan0354
12-06-2009, 07:03 PM
All of the Bl8100 maruyama blowers around here are pistol grip. Never seen a hip mounted one!

What??!! I check the site at the time, hip was the only choice!!! Don't tell me they change after I bought mine!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Hook Lawn & Landscape
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Go with kawasaki!!! and then redmax blowers EBZ8001 best on the market.

Merkava_4
02-14-2010, 07:55 PM

LOL!! :laugh:

Alan0354
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
LOL!! :laugh:

In my area......Latino!!!!

wimpy
02-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Neither -- Nobody uses Redmax here.

Alan0354
02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Other than RM ebz5001 blower, RM is not very common in the Bay Area either. Echo and Shindaiwa is big here. Some Husky, mostly 150Bt blowers. Somehow, the RMEBZ5001/Husky 150Bt are very very popular here. Just the right power for the right price. Echo PB413/PB460 would be the close second.