PDA

View Full Version : walk behind mowers for someone over 40

santafe
11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
those of you that are over 40, back hurts once in a while, knees hurt on occasion, and belly sticks out a little further than you want it to, would you run a walk behind for anything besides a steeper slope.

delphied
11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
If you are buying a new machine, go with a stand on. It will hold a slope and go as fast as it can. Not as fast as you can,.

brucec32
11-29-2009, 04:48 PM
If using it a lot (not just spots here and there where a ZTR won't do) I would also try a stand on. If mowing northern turf of something like St. Augustine that is green throughout the plant, I would in particular take a hard look at the Grandstand by Toro and the Vantage version by Exmark that will be out in the spring. They have the ability to go into walk mode if needed for really soft or wet turf, while I think the stable platform would be easier on the bod than a sulky.

gravedigger5
11-29-2009, 06:01 PM
those of you that are over 40, back hurts once in a while, knees hurt on occasion, and belly sticks out a little further than you want it to, would you run a walk behind for anything besides a steeper slope.

I am going to be 41 next week, and I don't think my belly sticks out any more than it did at 20. But when I hit 39 the aches and pains sure did start. I use to use primarily ztrs and my back and hips would hurt (still do when using a ztr) but about a year ago went to a Ferris 61" walkbehind with a proslide as my main mower. My back and hips are better but after 10 to 12 hrs a day of the proslide and trimming and blowing my feet start to hurt. I am considering demoing some standers next spring. Don't think they will help with the feet other than I might get done a little sooner.

RLS24
11-29-2009, 06:37 PM
belly sticks out a little further than you want it to,

start walkin and maybe that belly wont stick out so far! :laugh:

santafe
11-29-2009, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=gravedigger5;3299696]I am going to be 41 next week, and I don't think my belly sticks out any more than it did at 20. But when I hit 39 the aches and pains sure did start. I use to use primarily ztrs and my back and hips would hurt (still do when using a ztr) but about a year ago went to a Ferris 61" walkbehind with a proslide as my main mower. My back and hips are better but after 10 to 12 hrs a day of the proslide and trimming and blowing my feet start to hurt. I am considering demoing some standers next spring. Don't think they will help with the feet other than I might get done a little sooner.[/QUo

so you are saying the walk behind actually helped your aches and pains?

santafe
11-29-2009, 06:42 PM
start walkin and maybe that belly wont stick out so far! :laugh:

yeah! thanks ! you are probably right. again you all make me laugh. I could start doing more push aways. push away from the table.

Columbia Care
11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I kept my cost down this year with a Toro Proline WB. It got me in shape quickly. Once my customer base grew, I added a Velke so I could ride and reduce the time I was spending at each customer. My operating cost were within line of my Business Plan and I lost 38 pounds this year. Turned out it was a Win Win for me.

delphied
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
I kept my cost down this year with a Toro Proline WB. It got me in shape quickly. Once my customer base grew, I added a Velke so I could ride and reduce the time I was spending at each customer. My operating cost were within line of my Business Plan and I lost 38 pounds this year. Turned out it was a Win Win for me.

Does that mean someone over forty should use it?

topsites
11-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Maybe if your belly sticks out you really should use a WALK behind
that or get yourself one of them sit down jobs.

That's right, 40 years old or 20 years old, same thing.
Maybe not but I say if you can't take the exercise then don't apply for this job lol

TheC-Master
11-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not 40 but I love my WB, the guy who talked me into it for my sized properties is somewhere close or in his 50's, and he pushes it most of the time. If he can do it, most 40 year olds can. He has 50 accounts a week (down from 60 a week due to the recession), so he does quite a bit of work with it. Try both out and do what's right for you. I won't go for a large Z until I have larger accounts.

rwar
11-29-2009, 10:51 PM
yep, im in the same boat as you,ill be 41 in a couple months.i got a dual hydro a few months ago and is pretty easy to operate,i dont think i will ever use a belt or single hydro again. ive been using a residential zero turn and an old belt drive walkbehind for hills and ditches,but this dually is really so smooth to operate that the little z has sat on the trailer for a while now.the old belt drive is going to be sold and the little z will be kept around for smooth lots when i can sit down a while

delphied
11-29-2009, 11:09 PM
I am 52 and started with a Toro belt drive 44. I then went to a 48 Exmark TTHP with a Proslide. This year I traded up to a 48 Grandstand. It is great. I will never have another WB. I also have a 66 Lazer z for the big stuff.

Richard Martin
11-30-2009, 05:04 AM
I'm 51 with CAD and had a stent placed in March of this year. LAD. Although I do have a Velke for my 36's I've stopped taking it with me. I used to ride exclusively except for steep hills. Now I walk everything.

timberbrook
11-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm 51 with CAD and had a stent placed in March of this year. LAD. Although I do have a Velke for my 36's I've stopped taking it with me. I used to ride exclusively except for steep hills. Now I walk everything.
I use ZTR's and walkbehinds commercially but I use a 21" exclusively on my own lawn. It is 1/2 acre of grass and takes about 1 hour at a good pace. My neighbors love to see me mowing my own lawn. It is great exercise though and I can drink beer when I am done. The stripes do not looK as good as a ZTR but so what, I've got a Bud in my hand.

gravedigger5
11-30-2009, 09:02 AM
so you are saying the walk behind actually helped your aches and pains?

Helped with the back and hip pain, but my feet seem to hurt more at the end of the day. But I'm on my feet from 6:30am till 8:00pm most days before my boot come off. But I had feet pain at my old job standing on concrete 10 hrs a day too.

santafe
11-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Maybe if your belly sticks out you really should use a WALK behind
that or get yourself one of them sit down jobs.

That's right, 40 years old or 20 years old, same thing.
Maybe not but I say if you can't take the exercise then don't apply for this job lol

If you think 20 yrs and 40 yrs are the same then I don't believe you are anywhere close to 40.

topsites
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
If you think 20 yrs and 40 yrs are the same then I don't believe you are anywhere close to 40.

I'm 42, believe you me when I say experience more than makes up for energy,
them young whippersnappers like to run around the block three times to get
the same amount of work I get done hardly moving a finger, thanks for asking.

Granted, I do use a Velke, always have, likely always will, yes I'm too lazy to walk all that!
But the aches and pains are about the same off using the Wb as the Z, pretty much,
the biggest difference I notice is cost of operation, the Wb is way cheaper than the Z,
at least on most lots under an acre in size it is, also gets done in about the same time
on anything smaller than an acre, a savings of a few minutes on a 1/2 acre lot doesn't
really make up for much in my book.

The maintenance is about even, the Wb's require a lot more manual labor but the cost of parts on the Z really catches up to that fast.

Hence I use my Wb's most of the time.

freshprince94
11-30-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not even thirty and I don't really like using a walkbehind. The only way I will use a walkbehind and the only reason I use one right now is because of the Velke which is a stand on riding attachment. ZTR next year hopefully.

jhawk60
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I turned 49 on Saturday and all I use are walkbehinds, I enjoy the exercise.

Scagguy
11-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm 55 and while I'm not out with the crews everyday of the week I will use a WB anytime. It's good exercise and makes you feel like you did something. All of mine are hydro's, that's the only way to go in my opinion.

vharman4
11-30-2009, 09:32 PM
i used to run all hustler, but i picked up a 48" scag hydro late this season.. probably my favorite mower to use so far.. if you can get used the H-bar steering on the hustler w/b's i would say they are a great choice, otherwise the scags are pretty sweet. plus you can always get a velke and if you are in reasonable shape you should have no problem with any hydro w/b really.