PDA

View Full Version : New in the Business

gradallmike
11-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Well we started out doing Snow removal for many years and some of management company's started to ask if we are doing Landscaping so figured it would be a good transition and a good biz move, I just started to take measurements for the up coming season 2010 I have been spending allot of time scratching my head and allot of time here, I have allot to learn. equipment wise we have a head start with the trucks we have for plowing havn't gone any further wanted to lock in some work first, right now trying to figure all the formula's as how to charge and what services to offer, I am going to go for maintenance, pavers, skid steer work (bobcat), finish grade looking for advice on detaching, aeration do you offer as a package with cleanups ? I have been an operator, (dirt work and concrete contractors) for many years but am new in this business, any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
GradallMike

DLAWNS
11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the site, any specific questions just ask.

gradallmike
11-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the site, any specific questions just ask.

My question is spring and fall cleanups, is detaching and aeration included was considering offering all as a package, but I guess that fall leave clean up could become a question more than one visit I'm sure, any advice would be appreciated as to how to go about this along with how to charge ? Forgive my iqnorance !

Thanks
Mike

JFGauvreau
12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
I can give you a tip on core aeration, it is very profitable if you price accordingly. I use to work for a company that offers the service single, just the core aeration, or in a complete lawn care package with seeds and fertilizing.

If you tell them they can get the core aeration alone or by including it in a lawn care program, it gives them more freedom.

gradallmike
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I can give you a tip on core aeration, it is very profitable if you price accordingly. I use to work for a company that offers the service single, just the core aeration, or in a complete lawn care package with seeds and fertilizing.

If you tell them they can get the core aeration alone or by including it in a lawn care program, it gives them more freedom.

well let me ask u this if a lawn needs to be detached is it safe to say that it need to be aerated, so far I am finding with the managment companys that they don't care about that but have a feeling when i start dealing with homeowners then it will come into play Thanks

g21
12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey Mike,
I'm giving you a link to a video we did on establishing your manhour rate. It will really help you with your pricing on maintenance and remedial work. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Tommy

http://www.almanow.com/samplepost/manhours.htm

JFGauvreau
12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Well it really comes on how you will sell it to the home owner, most homeowner don't do both service by them self because they have to rent the machine or buy it and use it 1 time per year.

Most home owners will not do thatching because it is a expensive service, they will simply rake their lawn that takes hours.

It is proven that core aeration will help your lawn even if you don't do a thatching service, by pulling out cores, you are breaking the thatch and making small tunnels everywhere to let the nutrients get to the root system faster.

Most lawns don't really need to be thatched, a simple well done aeration will do the trick. But if the lawn has like more than 2 inches of compact thatch, then just tell the home owner it is a big waterproof barrier to your lawn, the water, sun and other nutrients will find it hard or impossible to reach the soil.

I hope I answer your questions.

DLAWNS
12-04-2009, 11:06 PM
My question is spring and fall cleanups, is detaching and aeration included was considering offering all as a package, but I guess that fall leave clean up could become a question more than one visit I'm sure, any advice would be appreciated as to how to go about this along with how to charge ? Forgive my iqnorance !

Thanks
Mike

I guess it would depend on the area but in my area I don't include those services with spring and fall cleanups. I do aerating and dethatching in the early fall before the leaves fall. Also for spring and fall cleanups the way I do it is to charge hourly. I estimate how long the job will take and charge them according to how long it will take. Same with aerating and dethatcing, just be sure to include in your price rental fees, seed cost, and fertilizer costs. That is if you do the seeding and fertilizing with the aeration or dethatching. I hope that made sense and might help you out a bit.

NEWGUYRI
12-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey Mike,
I'm giving you a link to a video we did on establishing your manhour rate. It will really help you with your pricing on maintenance and remedial work. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Tommy

http://www.almanow.com/samplepost/manhours.htm

Tommy,

That video was great, especially for me being 15, I am always wondering about these kinds of things.

BearWise Landscapers
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Mike,

Welcome to LawnSite!